• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do changes in illness perceptions, physical activity, and behavioural regulation influence ...

A.B.

Do changes in illness perceptions, physical activity, and behavioural regulation influence fatigue severity and health-related outcomes in CFS patients?

The findings point at a differential pattern of associations between changes in illness perceptions and behaviour regulation patterns on the one hand, and patient outcomes on the other hand. Whereas illness perceptions significantly contribute to each of the outcomes, behaviour regulation patterns contribute only to fatigue severity and physical functioning.

http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(17)30143-5/abstract

Barry53

Cannot access the full article, but:-
Changes in physical activity are not related to patient outcomes in CFS.
So that boots GET into touch then.
Changes in illness perceptions contribute to fatigue, physical symptoms, and QoL.
Changes in behavioural regulation contribute to fatigue, and physical functioning.
Not "cause" but "contribute to". Secondary not primary. So what point is being made ... other than no point at all?

Barry53

Do changes in illness perceptions, physical activity, and behavioural regulation influence fatigue severity and health-related outcomes in CFS patients?
No more, I imagine, than they might "influence fatigue severity and health-related outcomes" in any other physically ill patients.

A.B.

Seems to be the same old "we're going to cherry pick correlations and interpret them causatively without considering ordinary explanations such as belief to be ill being merely the consequence of actually being ill".

PS: so I suspect this is bad misuse of statistics.

Last edited:

A.B.

Also I suspect the "all or nothing" group includes presumably individuals that are not pacing. Since their model requires deconditioning, they need to find some way to explain why people who may be (trying to be) more active can still be quite ill.

Barry53

And taking myself as an example (bearing in mind I am not the one with ME, and am in fairly good health), if for whatever reason it has been a really cr*p day, the weather has been dull/raining/miserable for days, the taxman has just cocked up my tax code yet again, etc, etc ... I will tend to feel a bit lethargic, not very energetic. Such things do influence a person, but that is way different to conflating that with being a cause! These folks do so love trying to make the innocently uninformed misinterpret influence as meaning cause. Or even if that is not what this paper is itself doing (only seen the outline), nonetheless providing grist for the BPS mill to do so generally.

Valentijn

So that boots GET into touch then.
This probably ties into the Wiborg review (2010), where they revealed that reported improvements in fatigue were not matched by increased activity measured by actometer. Their absurd spin on that was that activity levels aren't relevant because they don't match up with fatigue results, since fatigue must be the most relevant measurement.

It's blatant quackery, in other words, and borderline academic fraud.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
An improvement, but still way off the mark. "Make ME patients exercise and they get a lot worse" would be more accurate.