• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can Overmethylation induce Parkison ?

daniariete2000

Hi,

I'm 42 y.o. man with small fiber neuropathy.
I stasted the active b12 protocol to increase my methylation (I'm MTHFR eterozygote) but my neurological pain symptoms got worse. This can be for nerve healing but I heard that overmethylation can induce Parkison and I'm very wotty about that.
(Now I'm on 3 mg methylfolate, 4 mg of methylcobalamin, 50 mg of P5P.)
Do you know anything about that ?

Thanks

Daniele

Not sure this helps...I suffer from chronic malaise almost certainly due to a known neural deficit. I recently tried high dose B12 which would amp me up a bit when I first took it. However, the next day I felt much worse. Could be coincidence but it happened twice taking the B12 and I quit taking it.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Not sure this helps...I suffer from chronic malaise almost certainly due to a known neural deficit. I recently tried high dose B12 which would amp me up a bit when I first took it. However, the next day I felt much worse. Could be coincidence but it happened twice taking the B12 and I quit taking it.

It's very possible that your feeling much worse was due to low potassium. Taking B12 and/or folate when you are deficient in either often triggers potassium deficiency because your cells can suddenly need much more potassium as they start making new cells much more rapidly. Read the first post in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ded-in-methylation-treatmt.18670/#post-291422
Many many people on this board have had low potassium due to this and had to add in extra. I had to titrate up to 1000 mg of potassium a day a few years ago when I started methylfolate (I'd already been taking B12), and I still need the extra potassium, plus I drink low-sodium V8 which is high in potassium.

For me, low potassium causes severe fatigue, and very often muscle spasms, particularly in my feet or legs, but sometimes it's just the fatigue. It can also cause cardio problems - arrhythmia, palpitations and so on.

Crux

Folate can increase production of nitric oxide, which can be neurotoxic if in excess.

Folate is also involved with iron metabolism.

Iron dyshomeostasis is implicated in numerous conditions, with Parkinson's included.

Here's a brief article about it. Researchers are still trying to find out how iron gets deposited, which impairments cause it.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/01/160125184315.htm

The cobalt in B12 competes with iron for absorption in the intestines.

It's very possible that your feeling much worse was due to low potassium. Taking B12 and/or folate when you are deficient in either often triggers potassium deficiency because your cells can suddenly need much more potassium as they start making new cells much more rapidly. Read the first post in this thread: http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ded-in-methylation-treatmt.18670/#post-291422
Many many people on this board have had low potassium due to this and had to add in extra. I had to titrate up to 1000 mg of potassium a day a few years ago when I started methylfolate (I'd already been taking B12), and I still need the extra potassium, plus I drink low-sodium V8 which is high in potassium.

For me, low potassium causes severe fatigue, and very often muscle spasms, particularly in my feet or legs, but sometimes it's just the fatigue. It can also cause cardio problems - arrhythmia, palpitations and so on.

Thanks for the info Mary; it did feel a bit like a hangover after taking the B12. Mucking with electrolytes (K) seems to make sense given the way it made me feel. I just happened to have some potassium in the house; took some and feeling a bit better today; maybe a coincidence but maybe not.