• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can ME cause visible inflammation or not?

Ambrosia_angel

can ME cause visible face and hand inflammation? And also possible airway inflammation causing asthma-like symptoms?

My eosinophils and RF are high but my ANA is okay.
Therefore my consultant said I have obvious inflammation but she can't do anything from a rheumatological perspective. :confused:

It's not an allergy. And the only logical thing is that it could be Churg Strauss now called Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis but it's so extremely rare that I can't even imagine having it. Not to mention that I'm younger than the age that most people are diagnosed.

So now I'm thinking it's ME but I don't know what to do? I don't know how to improve inflammation with supplements and holistic remedies because I don't really know what's causing it.

I have an ultrasound of my hands in a month and an ANCA test in 2 weeks to rule out I'm guessing certain types of vasculitis? I don't even understand the test.
I was told that if I get worse I should go to A&E or my GP which isn't really reassuring so I want to be productive in improving my symptoms. Would doing methylation help now if it helped me recover before?

A lot of my symptoms are similar to before with added swelling and more prominent body weakness.

Ambrosia_angel

Just to make more sense by visible I just mean inflammation that can be seen with the naked eye. Not on scans and other types of tests.

Seven7

Seven
Definitely yes, when I crash plp close to me start why are you swollen. and my head and face do swell., The doctor wanted me tested for angioedema but I couldn't get the test done (long story short the plp that took the blood messed it up). And since I don't have a new place haven't done it yet. I do know because I feel burning in spine and head too (w the swelling).

I am not eating any allergy foods (I developed w cfs). But the swelling hasn't happen for a few months.

Ambrosia_angel

Definitely yes, when I crash plp close to me start why are you swollen. and my head and face do swell., The doctor wanted me tested for angioedema but I couldn't get the test done (long story short the plp that took the blood messed it up). And since I don't have a new place haven't done it yet. I do know because I feel burning in spine and head too (w the swelling).

I am not eating any allergy foods (I developed w cfs). But the swelling hasn't happen for a few months.
Really? I've come across angioedema before. Have you ever found a way to improve the swelling or do you just treat the crash as a whole? I've been researching an anti inflammatory diet but a lot of the stuff I follow to a certain extent anyway. It's only slipped up a bit recently because of the struggle to cook.

Thank you for responding!

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
can ME cause visible face and hand inflammation? And also possible airway inflammation causing asthma-like symptoms?

My eosinophils and RF are high but my ANA is okay.
Therefore my consultant said I have obvious inflammation but she can't do anything from a rheumatological perspective. :confused:

It's not an allergy. And the only logical thing is that it could be Churg Strauss now called Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis but it's so extremely rare that I can't even imagine having it. Not to mention that I'm younger than the age that most people are diagnosed.

So now I'm thinking it's ME but I don't know what to do? I don't know how to improve inflammation with supplements and holistic remedies because I don't really know what's causing it.

I have an ultrasound of my hands in a month and an ANCA test in 2 weeks to rule out I'm guessing certain types of vasculitis? I don't even understand the test.
I was told that if I get worse I should go to A&E or my GP which isn't really reassuring so I want to be productive in improving my symptoms. Would doing methylation help now if it helped me recover before?

A lot of my symptoms are similar to before with added swelling and more prominent body weakness.

I think the answer has to be no - ME does not cause visible swelling. Some people with ME may have swelling but I do not think it makes sense to attribute it to ME. One has to assume there is some other cause.

It sounds as if you are in the middle of a diagnostic process and you need to wait until you get a firm opinion from your physician. High eosinophils do not necessarily mean anything specific. Nor does a rheumatoid factor. If there is swelling of hand joints and a rheumatoid factor that would tend to point to RA but facial swelling does not occur in RA.

I don't think there is any point in trying treatments until you now what is wrong. I am not sure what 'doing methylation' means. I don't think we have any reason to think methylation has anything to do with autoimmune disease, or ME for that matter.

Ambrosia_angel

I think the answer has to be no - ME does not cause visible swelling. Some people with ME may have swelling but I do not think it makes sense to attribute it to ME. One has to assume there is some other cause.

It sounds as if you are in the middle of a diagnostic process and you need to wait until you get a firm opinion from your physician. High eosinophils do not necessarily mean anything specific. Nor does a rheumatoid factor. If there is swelling of hand joints and a rheumatoid factor that would tend to point to RA but facial swelling does not occur in RA.

I don't think there is any point in trying treatments until you now what is wrong. I am not sure what 'doing methylation' means. I don't think we have any reason to think methylation has anything to do with autoimmune disease, or ME for that matter.
It's not in my joints it's in my soft tissue (I think it's the muscles) between the thumb and finger which is why I'm assuming that she couldn't progress because it's probably odd compared to other types of swelling that she sees. She said that I have to wait for the ultrasound to get a better idea of things.

I just feel a little bit worthless by not being able to do anything to see if something will alleviate my symptoms while I wait so that's why I'm curious. I guess that's probably something I need to work on within myself.

I did a simplified methylation protocol which I feel aided in improving a lot of my symptoms before.

Thank you for responding!