• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Friday Rant - Fake News

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Today I received my daily “must read” email from the The Times with the title:

Today's top stories: Public cash paying for the rise of fake news

Horrified, and wondering whose fault it was, I clicked on the link;

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/public-cash-paying-for-growth-of-fake-news-vb2hbvs3x

and discovered (thanks to the Times investigation) that fake news is the fault of “false or outrageous websites”, Islamic extremists, white supremacists, hate sites, illegal piracy forums, and also advertising agencies:

Is advertiser and agency behaviour driving fake news? Absolutely. Is it damaging real publishers? Absolutely.”

Aha. Did the Times just hint at who the victims are in all this? The reading public? Those lied about in fake news? Consumers? Nope, it is “real publishers”.

Then showing the tact, discretion and fairness that real publishers are famous for, and without naming names, the Times continues:

No agency was named in the report but the industry is dominated by six big companies: Havas, IPG, Dentsu, Omnicom, Publicis and WPP.

Deeply unsettled about the problem of fake news, I decided to consult an objective and unbiased news source, so went to the BBC website and found the following recent article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38790254

Fake news inquiry by MPs examines threat to democracy

Well at least our elected representatives are worried about the threat to democracy, and concerned “about the public being swayed by propaganda and untruths”. Thank goodness.

The committee chairman identifies “fake news on social media platforms” as the problem, and also adds that “the rise of propaganda and fabrications is a threat to democracy and undermines confidence in the media in general".

Well we can’t have confidence in the media in general being undermined, can we? That would be nearly as bad as real publishers being damaged.

The bbc also reports: “The way that fake news affects people's understanding of the world and their trust in traditional journalism will also be examined”.

Suddenly hope springs in my world-weary breast - are the government and the media (real) about to organize a War on Fake News for me? This would be great, because to be honest since the War on Crime, the War on Drugs, and the War on Terror were all won I’ve been looking for an outlet for my sense of moral outrage, and this will do nicely.

So kind of them also to tell me in which direction to point my concerned outrage - false or outrageous websites (see, they’ve already labelled the websites “outrageous” to make it easy for me), Islamic extremists, white supremacists, hate sites, illegal piracy forums, advertising agencies, social media platforms. I think I read somewhere that “the Russians” are somehow in on it too, which is always good if you’re having a War on something.

They’ve also told me who the good guys are and what I should be concerned about: damage to real publishers, confidence in the media in general being undermined, and people’s trust in traditional journalism (and democracy of course).

So that’s all sorted then. Thank goodness they’ve not only made it clear who the good guys are, but also who the bad guys are. Otherwise imagine the confusion if I was left with the impression that there was to be scrutiny of fake news in all the media, including print media and traditional journalism. In my initial zeal to help the cause I might inappropriately send them a link to one of the most offensive fake news platforms I know of:

http://www.sciencemediacentre.org/

or an example of fake news in the Times:

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/science/medicine/article3116831.ece

or an example of a bbc radio 4 science program being infiltrated by serial fake news prankster Sir Simon Wellsly (as if claiming to explain unexplained medical syndromes wasn’t a big enough clue):

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08dnr3g

Any other ME sufferers concerned about fake news?

sarah darwins

Well, thank heavens MPs are investigating. I'm sure they'll arrive at a sensible conclusion, such as the setting up of more bodies like the SMC to restore public trust.

Thanks, Sam. You're 100% right about everything, as usual. YOU should be the new truth tsar.

*GG*

Deeply unsettled about the problem of fake news, I decided to consult an objective and unbiased news source, so went to the BBC website and found the following recent article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-38790254

Any other ME sufferers concerned about fake news?

Ha, ha! No News source is unbiased :)

Fake news has been around for centuries, we just need people who are more discerning (do some research, easier to do in modern times), and are not going to take something reported at face value!

GG

Molly98

So where do we the general public report Fake news?

What serious bills are the government trying to push through parliament on the sly while our attention is being diverted to fake news?

Are the media outlets and government seriously suggesting that we believed that most of the bull we are fed is real news?

Why this sudden buzz and urgency about what has been going on all our lives?

Where is the line drawn between fake and real since many stories may have the tiniest thread of truth and are then spun to fit the preconceived agenda of the spinner and are 90% fabrication?

Isn't politics itself the bastion of fake news?

Fake news that comes from the powers that be and the status quo, that can be controlled by them - OK

Fake news that comes from small online websites, individuals or small groups, or worse still foreign governments which can not be controlled by them - NOT OK

TiredSam

You're 100% right about everything, as usual. YOU should be the new truth tsar.
Well if I'm 100% right about everything, never mind about being the truth tsar, I can apply for President of the Royal College of Psychiatry :).

I suspect The Last Leg will have some witty things to say about the Fake news epidemic tonight.
Damn. I'd never heard of The Last Leg. Now I've got over 100 episodes to catch up on.

alex3619

The media is doing well by itself in undermining their credibility. Churnalism, lack of fact checking, lack of specialized journalists doing reporting in their area (food critics should not be writing health news) and so on.

The issue with the current fake news emphasis is, I think, political. Its not just that fake news occurs ... fake news is probably as old as Humankind ... but that its become somehow acceptable and being uncritically accepted.

The issue with politics is that, while politicians specialize in fake news, just like public relations companies, there is an implied threat to mainstream media becoming infiltrated with fake news. Its not just about their credibility, but the way they operate.

So far as I can see the mainstream news media is in a death spiral. They need to change their business model and adapt ... and indeed most are trying to do so. However with more regurgitated stories, many of which have had little or no fact checking, we are finding news less and less reliable. So we rely on it less. So they get less revenue. So they cut costs even more, do even less fact checking and deep investigative journalism, and print more stories written by others.

I am wondering if the future of investigative journalism might be in private websites, with big prominent donation buttons?

HowToEscape?

@TiredSam :

I particularly liked

"Suddenly hope springs in my world-weary breast - are the government and the media (real) about to organize a War on Fake News for me? This would be great, because to be honest since the War on Crime, the War on Drugs, and the War on Terror were all won I’ve been looking for an outlet for my sense of moral outrage, and this will do nicely."​

but the rest was also brilliant. I wish I could write that well! Here in 'Murrica we don't do that word sorta thing, though we do have schools of unlearning to erase any such strange propensity.

// Ackshully, in New York City, during the time in which the film "Escape From New York" was set, the voters temporarily developed an interest in Law'nOrdor (not Mordor), and elected someone not a variety of leftist to the Mayor's office. He propounded upon the public the scandalous experiment of having criminals arrested, and not infrequently sent to jail. Crime plummeted, a happening which the frequently outraged have taken to frequently raging against, and are working to reverse.

purrsian

Love reading your stuff @TiredSam , you write so well!

I was actually just reading in one of my textbooks this morning about an example of how facts get messed up in news reporting. After the Nepal earthquake in 2015, an image of two children went viral online and in news. It was said to be a younger sister being protected by her older brother in the aftermath of the earthquake. In reality, it was a photo from Vietnam in 2007, of two children playing in front of their house and the younger one became afraid of the photographer as he was a stranger. The older brother gave her a hug to comfort her. The ridiculous thing is, it was not only attributed to the Nepal earthquake, but somehow got an intricate backstory about how the mother died and the father left them. In some countries, it was said to be victims of civil war in Syria or of two Burmese orphans. I'm guessing it's partly due to the fast-paced nature of "journalism" where they need a photo quickly that's touching and will draw them clicks. But you know, you need a sad story to go with it, so people will share your link!

You'd hope that plenty of people would be able to read and absorb things critically, but these days, I'm starting to feel that the movie Idiocracy was actually a prophecy :cautious:

TiredSam

// Ackshully, in New York City, during the time in which the film "Escape From New York" was set, the voters temporarily developed an interest in Law'nOrdor (not Mordor), and elected someone not a variety of leftist to the Mayor's office. He propounded upon the public the scandalous experiment of having criminals arrested, and not infrequently sent to jail. Crime plummeted, a happening which the frequently outraged have taken to frequently raging against, and are working to reverse.
Well I'll happily rage against giving Dinkins and Giuliani too much credit for the crime drop in New York. This from chapter 4 of Freakonomics:
Most damaging to the claim that New York’s police innovations radically lowered crime is one simple and often overlooked fact: crime went down everywhere during the 1990s, not only in New York. Few other cities tried the kind of strategies that New York did, and certainly none with the same zeal. But even in Los Angeles, a city notorious for bad policing, crime fell at about the same rate as it did in New York once the growth in New York’s police force is accounted for.
Full text here:

http://www.cc.ntut.edu.tw/~kmliu/freakonomics/4 criminals are gone.pdf