• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Poll: Which Type of Treatment Has Not Worked For You At All?

Poll: Which Type of Treatment That You Have Tried Has Not Worked For You At All?

• Prescription anti-virals (i.e. Valcyte, Ribivarin, Famvir)

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Supplemental anti-virals (i.e. OLE, DHQ, Neem)

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Immunomodulators (i.e. LDN, Equilibriant, Nexavir, Interferon)

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Metabolic Supplements (i.e. D-Ribose, CoQ10, Glutathione)

Votes: 15 28.3%
  • Methylization Support

• Stimulants (i.e. Ritalin, Provigil, Caffeine)

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • Prescription Anti-anxiety (i.e. Xanxan, Klonapin)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Prescription Anti-depressants (i.e. Prozac, Zoloft)

Votes: 26 49.1%
  • B-Cell Depletion (i.e. Rituximab)

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Gut support (probiotics, prebiotics)

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Atypical Treatments (Naphazoline, Nitroglycerin, Ketamine)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • IVIG

• Plasmapheresis

• Relaxation techniques / meditation

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Psychotherapy / CBT

Votes: 29 54.7%
  • Acupuncture

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Graded exercise

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Have not been able to get treatment

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Pacing

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Anti-microbial / anti-biotic

• Total voters

Jesse2233

Poll: Which Type of Treatment Has Not Worked For You At All?

Hi everyone,

This is a sequel to the previous poll about Most Effective Treatments. Thanks to @alex3619 and @Neunistiva for the suggestion.

Please respond if your diagnosis corresponds with the Canadian Consensus Criteria for CFS/ME

Thanks!

Edit: it won't let me add anything new. If you have anything else to add (such as mold remediation or metal detox) feel free to post a reply

Last edited:

Gingergrrl

Two things that did not work for me were anti-virals (Famvir and Valcyte) and methylation but I have had many treatment disasters along the way... too many to even remember them all right now!

ETA: Sorry I just saw the part to only respond if you match the CCC definition of ME/CFS and I am no longer sure if I do. So please disregard my answer and let me know if I should delete this.

Jesse2233

Two things that did not work for me were anti-virals (Famvir and Valcyte) and methylation but I have had many treatment disasters along the way... too many to even remember them all right now!

ETA: Sorry I just saw the part to only respond if you match the CCC definition of ME/CFS and I am no longer sure if I do. So please disregard my answer and let me know if I should delete this.

It's ok Ginger, always good to hear your experience

cb2

HI @Jesse2233 that is a great list..and I love this poll idea, i was wondering about mold, or moving out of "mold" or would that fall under environmental ? also food plans? I am looking forward to seeing what replies you get on this.

Jesse2233

HI @Jesse2233 that is a great list..and I love this poll idea, i was wondering about mold, or moving out of "mold" or would that fall under environmental ? also food plans? I am looking forward to seeing what replies you get on this.

Thanks! I missed that one and it's not letting me add any new ones. I'll edit the text of the post to include mold remediation.

Gingergrrl

Agree moving away from mold and also food issues (for people with MCAS/allergies) is a huge one although it will not apply to everyone. Both were lifesaving for me and allowed me to tolerate treatments I could not have otherwise.

rosie26

I found d ribose helped reduce pain in my hands within a hour of taking and gave me a few more hours of energy which I could use without serious payback (it seemed).

But... I became very sick at the end of 2014, two years after I began taking ribose. Major problems with my lungs and burning symptoms with profuse sweating increased severely making me seriously ill in all of 2015. I feel that the ribose contributed and sped up another process or pathway in my ME for the worse. I will not take ribose again.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I found d ribose helped reduce pain in my hands within a hour of taking and gave me a few more hours of energy which I could use without serious payback (it seemed).

But... I became very sick at the end of 2014, two years after I began taking ribose. Major problems with my lungs and burning symptoms with profuse sweating increased severely making me seriously ill in all of 2015. I feel that the ribose contributed and sped up another process or pathway in my ME for the worse. I will not take ribose again.
I think that this happens with a lot of treatments. They work well - even brilliantly - maybe for a couple of years, then our condition plummets and there seems to be no way back. It's so cruel.