• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Different type of infection

Cohen2

A few days ago I suddenly crashed really hard, the type where you feel close to death, semi conscious etc. I managed to drag myself to bed and fell asleep for 15 hours.

Since then I've had a mild temperature, lowered appetite, and increased fatigue and tiredness which on top of my usual level of health has made me bed bound. But none of the other usual flu or cold symptoms that I would expect from infections I've had in the past.

It feels like a half flu that wants to come on properly but can't. Im certain it's not a usual crash.

Anyone experienced this? know what it could be?

Last edited:

arewenearlythereyet

I'm currently fighting a virus atm. I'm not bed bound by it but it certainly is dragging me down in terms of symptoms (aching muscles/joints, headache, mood, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, feeling cold). I have noticed infection seems to go in a certain pattern that is different to when I was healthy.

I notice that my family will suffer far worse from cold/flu type symptoms and I may feel run down but don't present the symptoms in the same way as them or as I used to. This will impact my energy but in terms of coughs, runny nose etc, I just don't seem to get these any more. Just feel dog tired and my normal CFS symptoms flare.

I'm not sure why this is but perhaps this is the same thing going on?

Cohen2

I'm currently fighting a virus atm. I'm not bed bound by it but it certainly is dragging me down in terms of symptoms (aching muscles/joints, headache, mood, loss of appetite, trouble sleeping, feeling cold). I have noticed infection seems to go in a certain pattern that is different to when I was healthy.

I notice that my family will suffer far worse from cold/flu type symptoms and I may feel run down but don't present the symptoms in the same way as them or as I used to. This will impact my energy but in terms of coughs, runny nose etc, I just don't seem to get these any more. Just feel dog tired and my normal CFS symptoms flare.

I'm not sure why this is but perhaps this is the same thing going on?

Yeah it could be that. I've noticed infections come on slower since I've had ME but I always start off with sore throat, nose stuff. They also last forever.

belize44

I had a crash like that on several occasions, so I know what you are talking about. The most memorable was after visiting my mother who was on her deathbed and not being able to fall asleep until dawn because family had assembled and I was over stimulated from the trip and then the interactions and emotions. When I returned home, I crashed for two solid weeks. It felt like the flu without the gastrointestinal stuff, but I was definitely feeling deathly ill.

I hope you feel better soon!