• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tetanus shot side effects related to CFS/ME?

I am feeling the effects from a fall and possibly the tetanus shot when days after getting the shot. Or possibly from the gash, blood in my sclera and eye bruise/headtrauma..

I am severely dazed and fatigue (worse than normal).

About vaccinations/immunization shots;
Has anyone gotten CFS /ME or worsening th2, immune response from immunization shots/vaccines?

Does effects of shots take days or even weeks to kick in?
If so,
How did you rectify the problem of CFS/ME from the toxcity of these immune shots?

Should I be concerned?

I am barely functional right now but to explain what happen; I got a tetanus shot in the hospital from a fall (hit head on bath tub edge) which I've read activates my immune sys., has organomercury/aluminum. I potentially need to detox heavy metals. Well, now for 4 days straight; I have been feeling dazed, fatigued more than normal (when i already have CFS.. and a blood in my sclera from my head hitting the edge of the bath tub which got me the gash and tetanus shot in the first place.

My psoriasis is worse and can retain information while at school.

please help

thank you

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I have had a couple of tetnus boosters since I came down with ME/CFS and have not had any problems. That doesn't mean you didn't, though. Different people react differently to things.

charles shepherd

I've attached some general information below on how vaccines, including tetanus (see MEA website poll below), can occasionaly trigger ME/CFS, and may also exacerbate pre-existing ME/CFS

Tetanus jabs can also cause flu like side-effects (feeling unwell; muscle pain; headaches and fever) and adverse reactions in fit healthy people

If your current exacerbation of ME/CFS symptoms is vaccine related I'm afraid there isn't anything specific you can do

Management is really along the lines of any relapse/symptom exacerbation in ME/CFS - take things easy, pace your activities very carefully etc etc

However, it sounds as though you have had a fairly significant traumatic episode - which can also cause a relapse or exacerbation of ME/CFS symptoms

Or it may be the result of the trauma and the tetanus vaccine…..

General information on vaccines and ME/CFS

Anecdotal evidence indicates that a number of vaccinations are occasionally capable of either triggering ME/CFS, or causing an exacerbation of pre-existing symptoms, and the UK CMO Working Group report acknowledged (in section 3.3.2) that vaccinations can occasionally act as a trigger factor in the development of ME/CFS. The CMO report can be e-accessed using the document archive on the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

The link is biologically plausible but there hasn't been any really robust research carried out to investigate the role of vaccinations as immune system stressors in the causation of ME/CFS.

Two fairly recent published reports of interest relate to an MHRA review of HPV vaccine (Cervarix) and ME/CFS >>

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/NewsCentre/Pressreleases/CON316330

and two case reports re Swine Flu vaccine and ME/CFS:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...accination-bmj-rapid-responses-21-march-2014/

I have a longstanding interest in the role of vaccinations in ME/CFS and my patient evidence on the subject, which is now quite substantial and includes a number of health workers who were vaccinated almost as a condition of employment, indicates that hepatitis B vaccine appears to play an unusual and significant role here

This is supported by the results of the MEA website poll on the roll of vaccinations as trigger factors for ME/CFS (see below)

The MEA has an information leaflet which summaries the research evidence relating to vaccinations and ME/CFS.

Similar information is summarised and referenced on page 41 of the MEA purple booklet.

MEA WEBSITE POLL:

• If your ME/CFS was triggered by a vaccination, which vaccine was involved?
    • Hepatitis B (57%, 338 Votes)

• Flu (9%, 51 Votes)

• Other (7%, 41 Votes)

• BCG (6%, 33 Votes)

• Cannot remember (5%, 31 Votes)

• Combination (5%, 27 Votes)

• Tetanus (3%, 18 Votes)

• Meningitis (3%, 17 Votes)

• MMR (2%, 14 Votes)

• Polio (2%, 10 Votes)

• Hepatitis A (1%, 7 Votes)

• Typhoid (0%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 591
Start Date: April 30, 2010 @ 3:20 pm
End Date: June 2, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

Dr Charles Shepherd
Hon Medical Adviser, MEA

daisybell

I've recently had a letter from my doctor to say I need a tetanus booster... so far I haven't done anything about it because I don't know what to do for the best.
I live in the country and often have cuts and scrapes - but am I really at risk if I don't get the jab?
I'm feeling not good at the moment anyway and I really don't want to do anything that might make me feel worse...

Mij

@daisybell my doctor has been after me to get the shot when I see her for my yearly physical for several years now. My answer is always- no. I am not stressed out about it. She explained to me if that we get tetanus there is no treatment/cure, therefore = death. So know that much and you can decide.

I have a feeling she will be suggesting a shingles vaccine soon, and my answer will be- no. My understanding is that the shingles vaccine does not prevent us from getting it, it just lessens the symptoms. It is not recommended for people with weakened immune systems.

digital dog

I heard from a doctor that if you cut yourself and blood is flowing freely from the wound you will not get tetanus. Is this correct or even partially correct?

I've just come back with my family from Goa. None of us had vaccinations. It was a tough decision.

digital dog

Charles, Just a quick question if you dont mind me asking:

Would you be happy for your children (I'm not sure if you have any)to be vaccinated? Would there be any vaccinations you would consdier avoiding if you had/have children?

Mij

@digital dog

Tetanus cases have developed from the following:
  • Puncture wounds — including from splinters, body piercings, tattoos, injection drugs
  • Gunshot wounds
  • Compound fractures
  • Burns
  • Surgical wounds
  • Injection drug use
  • Animal or insect bites
  • Infected foot ulcers
  • Dental infections
  • Infected umbilical stumps in newborns born of inadequately immunized mothers

caledonia

Wishful

Add me to the list of people who might have gotten ME/CFS from a tetanus booster. I recently remembered that I had a booster shot not too long before my immune system went crazy. I can't remember how far in advance of the symptoms it was, but it wasn't years, and probably wasn't weeks or else I'd have connected the two. I think it triggered immune system problems which resulted in type IV food sensitivity and ME/CFS.

I'd totally forgotten about the tetanus booster until I read about vaccines being suspected in causing some cases of ME/CFS...and thinking that didn't apply to me because I hadn't had any vaccinations. :(

TrixieStix

@daisybell my doctor has been after me to get the shot when I see her for my yearly physical for several years now. My answer is always- no. I am not stressed out about it. She explained to me if that we get tetanus there is no treatment/cure, therefore = death. So know that much and you can decide.
Your doctor is wrong about Tetanus having no cure and causing death in every person who gets it. That's simply not the case. CDC figures state that 13% of those infected with tetanus die as a result. There are treatments for someone who becomes infected with tetanus although it's something I think we would all agree we would rather not experience.

Also I just ran across some news articles about a 2016 study (links below) from 2016 questioning the necessity for a tetanus booster every 10 years and suggests that the vaccine may only be needed once every 30 years.
https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/62/9/1111/1745278/Durability-of-Vaccine-Induced-Immunity-Against

https://www.forbes.com/sites/taraha...-need-another-for-30-more-years/#7b6791516db3

Last edited:

Mij

"The duration of protective immunity is a function of the magnitude of the serum antibody response and the time it takes for antibody titers to decline to nonprotective levels. Based on these parameters, the model predicts that 95% of the population will remain seroprotected against tetanus for up to 72 years without further booster vaccination (Figure 1B). In a previous longitudinal study, the tetanus-specific antibody half-life was estimated to be 11 years [7]. If this more conservative antibody half-life is applied to the current population-based data set, we find that 95% of the subjects will remain seroprotected for 64 years without requiring further vaccination."

wow

Wishful

If I'd known about the information in Mij's post, and the possibility of developing problems from vaccines, I'd have chosen not to get the booster. It was a really rusty nail in really rich black organic soil though...

I expect it will be a long time before doctors warn people about tetanus boosters and other vaccines; too much money involved in the business.

ladycatlover

I think I may have written about this elsewhere here before, but in case I'm confused :rofl: here goes:

Some years ago I was on a gardening forum :bouquet::tulip: where I posted quite frequently, and we all had a laugh as well as helping each other with gardening ideas, problems, and how to do things - when to start veg seeds off, growing difficult plants and such like. There was one lady who was a very prolific poster who just disappeared for ages (can't remember how long now, but at least a month). Finally she came back to the forum and told us she had contracted tetanus and spent weeks in hospital being treated. :eek: So this is anecdotal evidence that not everyone dies. But she was VERY ill and couldn't remember much about her time in hospital.

For this reason I had a tetanus booster a few months ago, as although I don't do that much gardening these days (I'm the "Head Gardener" and just issue commands to the "Under Gardener" (AKA husband) ;) ) I still feel exposed to the possibility of tetanus. I do prune bushes on better days, including roses, some of our roses have lethal thorns! And now my DLA to PIP "journey" is over (for 8 years) I live in hopes that gradually I'll be able to do more gardening again as I recover from it.

Happy to report I had no side effects from the jab, not even a sore arm. :) But I won't be having the flu jab.

boombachi

My mum had tetanus as a child and her description of how ill she was has stayed with me. It can cause muscle spasms . My mum said her jaw seized up and she couldn't eat. I don't mess with tetanus. I don't get boosters (i got immunised as a child) as they weren't recommended when I worked in a healthcare setting but if I got treated for a cut and was recommended to have one, I would take it.

Forbin

I got a tetanus booster about a seven years ago. The only bad effect was at the injection site, which was quite sore for about a month. There was also a pretty good sized "bump" at the injection site that also took about a month to go away.

Actually, it was DPT shot. I wonder if they even offer a standalone tetanus shot in the US anymore.

[ On the weird side, about ten minutes after the tetanus shot, I felt like my system was being flooded with endorphins. It lasted about half an hour. I've never had that with any other shot. ]

Last edited: