• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heart rate

Hi, all!

I've just started using a heart rate monitor in the hope that it will help me with pacing, which I'm finding difficult to get right. However I've also notices that my heart rate is shooting all over the place. My resting heart rate is naturally pretty low - around 60-64 bpm. But it'll shoot up into the 80s if I just walk across the room, and a little job like loading the washing machine will take it up to around 110. Is this normal?

arewenearlythereyet

Hi, all!

I've just started using a heart rate monitor in the hope that it will help me with pacing, which I'm finding difficult to get right. However I've also notices that my heart rate is shooting all over the place. My resting heart rate is naturally pretty low - around 60-64 bpm. But it'll shoot up into the 80s if I just walk across the room, and a little job like loading the washing machine will take it up to around 110. Is this normal?

Perfectly normal (for me anyway). My resting heart rate is similar. Once you get used to keeping it low you will find that you start to do things a bit slower and taking more breaks from the physical. I realised I was walking too quickly everywhere and getting up too quickly from sitting position etc ...I'm more sloth like now and keep everything below 95 bpm unless I'm doing my walk. Which monitor did you go for in the end?

mirshine

Yep, all part of the joys of ME as far as I know. Even just standing up starts my monitor beeping. It does help pace though. Different days, or times of the day, slow walking may be too much or just about ok. I assume it's part of why the barest activity sets off PEM.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My resting heart rate is naturally pretty low - around 60-64 bpm. But it'll shoot up into the 80s if I just walk across the room, and a little job like loading the washing machine will take it up to around 110. Is this normal?
You could try noting how much your HR jumps up just from going from sitting to standing (you need to have been sitting for a while). If you stand up and don't move, monitoring your HR could tell you whether you have POTS--which might mean a different strategy for pacing. I jump of 30 points (within a few minutes) from just standing in place indicates POTS. This is known as "a poor man's tilt table test."

Old Bones

My resting HR is in the 50 - 65 range, depending on how rested I am. Upon standing, it increases anywhere from 30 - 50 bpm. Walking in the house, or using my arms in front of my body while standing, it can reach the 140's. Walking outside at a moderate pace -- up to the 150's.

Murph

:)
Hi, all!

that is normal. hr varies a lot as you move round.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Hi, all!

Sounds normal to me.

Jessie 107

You could try noting how much your HR jumps up just from going from sitting to standing (you need to have been sitting for a while). If you stand up and don't move, monitoring your HR could tell you whether you have POTS--which might mean a different strategy for pacing. I jump of 30 points (within a few minutes) from just standing in place indicates POTS. This is known as "a poor man's tilt table test."
Hello,
Was just reading through this thread ,I am fairly new to all this.
My doctor has told me he thinks I have me/cfs and my symptoms do point to this unfortunately. I am considering getting a heart rate monitor as I struggle with pacing and trying to find the balance. My question is can you explain to me what Pots is.
Many thanks

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
can you explain to me what Pots is.
Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome

Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS) is a form of dysautonomia that is estimated to impact between 1,000,000 and 3,000,000 Americans, and millions more around the world. POTS is a form of orthostatic intolerance that is associated with the presence of excessive tachycardia and many other symptoms upon standing.1

Diagnostic Criteria
The current diagnostic criteria for POTS is a heart rate increase of 30 beats per minute (bpm) or more, or over 120 bpm, within the first 10 minutes of standing,