• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

IACFSME Jan 2017 Newsletter available

AndyPR

Dear Members,

It’s been an eventful season for IACFS/ME and the community. Our fall conference in Fort Lauderdale attracted over 300 professionals, patients, family members and supporters. The professional attendance was excellent, but the patient numbers were lower than previous meetings—perhaps due to the many advocacy commitments and events occurring over the past several months. Overall, conference feedback from our attendees as well as online commentaries have been quite favorable.
Conference highlights included the presentations of Oystein Fluge and Olav Mella, the Norwegian physician-scientists who have published two clinical studies suggesting the efficacy of rituximab to treat ME/CFS. A large randomized trial now underway is expected to be completed by the end of 2017. Encouragingly, our keynote, Vicky Whittemore, announced that a new NIH funding opportunity for ME/CFS will be posted shortly. (Follow-up: we have a new $29.5 million program announced by Vicky at the CFS Advisory Committee meeting [1/12-1/13/17] to develop 2-3 collaborating research centers! The posting should occur later this month.) Vicky ably answered an extended 45 minute period of pointed questions at the patient conference after her keynote talk.

http://iacfsme.org/ME-CFS-Primer-Education/NewsLetters/Volume-10,-Issue-1-•-January-2017.aspx

*GG*

Breaking this up to read more easily:

Dear Members,

It’s been an eventful season for IACFS/ME and the community. Our fall conference in Fort Lauderdale attracted over 300 professionals, patients, family members and supporters.

The professional attendance was excellent, but the patient numbers were lower than previous meetings—perhaps due to the many advocacy commitments and events occurring over the past several months. Overall, conference feedback from our attendees as well as online commentaries have been quite favorable.

Conference highlights included the presentations of Oystein Fluge and Olav Mella, the Norwegian physician-scientists who have published two clinical studies suggesting the efficacy of rituximab to treat ME/CFS. A large randomized trial now underway is expected to be completed by the end of 2017.

Encouragingly, our keynote, Vicky Whittemore, announced that a new NIH funding opportunity for ME/CFS will be posted shortly. (Follow-up: we have a new $29.5 million program announced by Vicky at the CFS Advisory Committee meeting [1/12-1/13/17] to develop 2-3 collaborating research centers!

The posting should occur later this month.
) Vicky ably answered an extended 45 minute period of pointed questions at the patient conference after her keynote talk.

GG