• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

blood count etc

carer51

carer/partner of moderate/severe sufferer
Doctor ordered a full blood count for james plus a couple of other things though I get the impression this isn't generally massively helpful. And he last had one 2-3 years ago I think but I don't think we got to see the results.

Some things are high and some low, only just within the boundaries of 'normal range', right at the edge. High neutrophil, low haematocrit, low red blood cell distribution width, low platelet count, low erythrocyte sedimentation rate.

Platelet distribution higher than normal range but I read this might not mean anything.

He has very low MCV, I read this could indicate anemia or CFS, how useful :/ Diagnosed with CFS over a decade ago.

All pretty much to be expected? Anemia? We got the results through the online system, need to make an appointment with the GP I guess.
This GP asked about CBT and if he'd seen a psychologist about working :mad: plus she was a locum, not keen on any of the docs I've seen there though.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Anemia (low hematocrit) is not associated with ME/CFS. A low MCV can indicate iron deficiency, which could be one cause of the anemia. It's possible to have B12 and folic acid in addition to iron deficiency, but a low MCV is most indicative of an iron deficiency. I would expect that his doctor will do some follow-up testing for iron, ferritin, total iron binding capacity (TIBC), B12 and folic acid levels.

It would be helpful if you posted the numbers along with the reference ranges, like this:
Hct 32 (37-46)

carer51

Thank you - I can post it, but I didn't want to sort of burden anyone to doctor/diagnose more than necessary, was a bit torn!

We supplement b12, iron is one I never thought to. Crap. Maybe because iron supplements mske me feel sick personally!

carer51

IMG_20170130_155801.jpg
IMG_20170130_155806.jpg

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Thank you - I can post it, but I didn't want to sort of burden anyone to doctor/diagnose more than necessary, was a bit torn!

We supplement b12, iron is one I never thought to. Crap. Maybe because iron supplements mske me feel sick personally!

People post lab results all the time.

The hematocrit and MCV are on the low side of normal which could indicate an iron deficiency. You could ask the doctor if he should be tested for iron levels and/or if he would recommend taking iron supplements.

Not all iron supplements are bad! Floradix makes iron tablets and liquid that are non-constipating. They've never bothered my stomach or made me nauseous.
https://www.amazon.com/Floradix-8010-Iron-84-Tabs/dp/B0013G8I0O

These need to be taken on an empty stomach. Adding 500mg Vitamin C will help assimilate the iron.