• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Crawley uses questionnaires to diagnose 1/33 have ME for three months

Countrygirl

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35383832

(This really is enough to make a man eat his young)

The diagnoses of the condition in the study were based on responses to questionnaires sent to teenagers and their parents, and were not made by a doctor.

This large population study found that one in 50 16-year-olds have CFS/ME lasting more than six months and nearly one in 33 have CFS/ME persisting for more than three months.

Yet only one in 1,000 are diagnosed with the condition.

She said experts still did not know exactly why or how the condition is triggered, but research showed it could be successfully treated with cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) in young people.

Sonya Chowdhury, chief executive of Action for ME, said the study pointed to the need for more effective treatments.

"We know from contact with the parents of children with ME that this disabling condition impacts on every area of family life.

"The reality is that many young people miss considerably more than half a day of school a week, while for the most severely affected, their disabling symptoms are compounded by the isolation and loss that comes with being housebound and/or bedbound."

ash0787

I find it interesting that they go to such lengths to promote the disease while at the same time denying its nature,
you'd think if you didn't believe in something you wouldn't want to draw peoples attention to it.

No, now that I think about it its very clever what they have done, when 2 opposing parties gain a piece of important information around the same time, the one thats able to deliver it to the public on a wide scale and in a favorable way it can completely change how the information is perceived to one sides advantage, for example if your company has some anti-consumer practice that it wants to deploy or is doing without people noticing and it is leaked in an uncontrolled way it can be really damaging, but if you slowly prepare the customers to expect such a thing by building precedents or hiring media companies to write certain articles you can change how well received the problematic issue is at the end of it, this is what PR people are really good at. For example how you can condition people into accepting being surveiled / spied on 24/7 if you gradually increase it over time.

In other words lets say most scientists etc found out about chronic fatigue syndrome in the 80s, what these psych people did was then take that to the media and gain the spotlight, and distributed this false narrative, and since that was the first exposure people had to the idea, they assumed that was the truth, and the people that came after with the opposing view but less of a reach didn't really stand a chance, but if the situations were reversed it could have been the psych people that were seen as going against the established view.