• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dietary and nutrition interventions for the therapeutic treatment of me/cfs

Kati

Patient in training
Dietary and nutrition interventions for the therapeutic treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis: a systematic review

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28111818

Campagnolo N1,2, Johnston S1,2, Collatz A1,2, Staines D2, Marshall-Gradisnik S1,2.
Author information
  • 1School of Medical Science, Griffith University, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia.
  • 2National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases, Menzies Health Institute Queensland, Griffith University, Gold Coast, QLD, Australia.
Abstract

BACKGROUND:
Chronic fatigue syndrome/myalgic encephalomyelitis (CFS/ME) is characterised by unexplained fatigue for at least 6 months accompanied by a diverse but consistent set of symptoms. Diet modification and nutritional supplements could be used to improve patient outcomes, such fatigue and quality of life. We reviewed and discussed the evidence for nutritional interventions that may assist in alleviating symptoms of CFS/ME.

METHODS:
Medline, Cinahl and Scopus were systematically searched from 1994 to May 2016. All studies on nutrition intervention were included where CFS/ME patients modified their diet or supplemented their habitual diet on patient-centred outcomes (fatigue, quality of life, physical activity and/or psychological wellbeing).

RESULTS:
Seventeen studies were included that meet the inclusion criteria. Of these, 14 different interventions were investigated on study outcomes. Many studies did not show therapeutic benefit on CFS/ME. Improvements in fatigue were observed for nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide hydride (NADH), probiotics, high cocoa polyphenol rich chocolate, and a combination of NADH and coenzyme Q10.

CONCLUSIONS:
This review identified insufficient evidence for the use of nutritional supplements and elimination or modified diets to relieve CFS/ME symptoms. Studies were limited by the number of studies investigating the interventions, small sample sizes, study duration, variety of instruments used, and studies not reporting dietary intake method. Further research is warranted in homogeneous CFS/ME populations.

© 2017 The Authors. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd on behalf of British Dietetic Association.

(Bolding mine)

Last edited:

Murph

:)
Look at 17 papers that don't show anything much, write a systematic review concluding we know very little, get that published. Nobody can accuse these guys of hiding their negative results!

Snark and skepticism aside, however, if this kind of regular publishing schedule is what it takes to get money and attention in the crazy world of academic research, then I support them 100%!

Kati

Patient in training
Look at 17 papers that don't show anything much, write a systematic review concluding we know very little, get that published. Nobody can accuse these guys of hiding their negative results!

Snark and skepticism aside, however, if this kind of regular publishing schedule is what it takes to get money and attention in the crazy world of academic research, then I support them 100%!
That's quite the sarcastic tone, @Murph

Personally I am quite thankful this is being published for a few reasons:

1) there is no evidence behind dietary changes that improves the course of the illness.

2) this paper highlights the lack of well controled trials regarding dietary changes, which include homogenous patient population and sample sizes. It means that a lot of what is discussed on this forum, to be honest, is not currently backed up by science. (And not much is, really)

3) it means to me that cutting off gluten, going paleo, low carb, no carb, low acid, vegan, you name it, has not a) been researched b) proven to be effective.

4) it means that socialized health care systems cannot tell patients like me to change my diet as a treatments for my disease. It is simply not backed by science.

I eat very normally, comparable to most people. I shop in a grocery store and eat varied. I should not need nutritional education as part of a rehabilitation program, just like most rheumatoid arthritis patients or HIV pts do not need nutritional education.

We desperately need scientific research and clinical trials. Only through good science, and not old wives tales, will we be able to move forward in the field.

Last edited:

IreneF

I've had more energy for the past two months, and recently I've been cooking nearly every day. I think I do better when I eat nutritious food, but there's no way to determine cause and effect. Good nutrition wasn't enough to keep me from getting sick in the first place.

This study found that basically nobody has published good trials on the diets of people with ME/CFS, BUT many patients do know which foods they can no longer tolerate. The whole idea behind elimination diets is that you eliminate foods and then try reintroducing foods as you can. If you actually look at the various diets they are quite similar in what foods are actually being eaten. The Royal Prince Alfred Elimination Diet Handbook from the University of Sydney has a science based approach to food intolerances. Also the reintroduction of foods can be "measured" objectively by a rise in heart rate - the pattern is clear. It's frustratingly clear when a food that you love raises your heart rate, you can't tolerate activities that you could, and you know that it is going to take 3-4 days for it to reduce to baseline.