• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Medication against PEM noise

Grigor

Hi,

So I'm living in a super noisy house. Old. And have a 2 years old above me. Wooden floor, ceiling etc. I've spend my time in the toilet on the floor and in a closet. Recently in a sound isolation cabine. Terrible. But nothing works anymore.
Every time the kid runs above my head I crash. Huge PEM. And getting worse.

So what medication do you guys take against the PEM from noise. What helps. Obviously Benzos but that I'd a it a scary option. Already taking magnesium, carnitine, B complex, Gaba etc.
And yes I have earplugs and stuff. They don't work enough anymore. The vibration of the bass is killing me.

Helpppp.

PS please keep your answers a bit short. Have trouble reading. Thanks in advance :balloons:

Have you tried noise cancelling earphones?
I bought a pair of Bose quiet comfort and they seem to work well,at least for background noise. Probably won't cancel out a two year old though.

Grigor

Have you tried noise cancelling earphones?
I bought a pair of Bose quiet comfort and they seem to work well,at least for background noise. Probably won't cancel out a two year old though.
Yeah no I have everything. Earplugs 39db. Earmuffs 37 db and the Bose Quietcomfort 25. The all don't work....... That's why I need drugs to calm down.

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
My light and sound sensitivities seem to be linked as they increase together. Both may be caused by inflammation since anti-inflammatories seem to help, although vitamin d increases both so there isn't a simple solution.

What has helped me from most to least effective:
* DIY lipisomal vitamin c using rosehip powder (although plain rosehip powder might work for you, it's anti-inflammatory)
* lipisomal glutathione (Terry Naturally Clinical Glutathione)
* sunflower lecithin
* flax oil (a couple of tablespoons per day)

rosie26

So I'm living in a super noisy house. Old. And have a 2 years old above me. Wooden floor, ceiling etc. I've spend my time in the toilet on the floor and in a closet. Recently in a sound isolation cabine. Terrible. But nothing works anymore.
Every time the kid runs above my head I crash. Huge PEM. And getting worse.
I really feel for you. I had a terrible time in my severe years with noisy neighbours. Sent me to the edge too many times. I don't like to remember those years. Fortunately now I have lovely quiet neighbours on all sides.

The only thing I could think of that might help but is costly is to buy your upstairs neighbor a huge thick floor rug for a room or more if you can afford it. A bit odd but when desperate!

For the bass noise. Ask them if they could keep the music down if it goes on too long. They may not know you are sick? Some people are sensitive and would hate to be causing someone who is sick any distress.

It's a really hard one, this, to solve. I hope these neighbour's are not long term for your sake.

Last edited:

Kati

Patient in training
if I were you, and I know, not easy, but I'd consider moving out.

There is not much you can do with a child jumping and running. Medicating yourself because of a child running is crazy too.

If you can't move, consider house sitting possibilities if it's at all possible- which would remove yourself from the situation.

I have an old lady upstairs from my place, she walks like an elephant. It drives me bananas. There is no teaching another human being how to walk softly, they don't get it.

When I was young we lived in appartment dwellings and we ran the hallway all the time. The neighbor downstairs used his broom on his ceiling when he was fed up. Imagine 4 children and 2 parents in an apartment... that was us.
So we learnt early how to walk softly.

i remember someone from the forum having a real hard time with building construction. It's not fun. Best to avoid, move, take yourself out of that situation.

Best.

ukxmrv

I didn't have any problems stopping and starting Klonopin when I was living in situations of intolerable noise. Would take it again if in the same situation and trapped.

A friend of mine ended up addicted to the drug after a long usage. Which there was some way to tell who it would damage or benefit.

We are all different. I am lucky that I don't get addicted but more lucky that I was able to eventually move away. Been sick with ME for decades now and in the future it could happen to me again. I'd take Klonopin rather than face a daily torture if unable to move.

caledonia

When I had akathisia from SSRI withdrawal syndrome, I had extreme noise sensitivity and hyperacusis. It was so bad, that even with 39db earplugs, and the windows closed, I could hear someone cutting their grass way down the block. It drove me crazy.

Professional Products brand Neuromedulla Complex was helpful for taking the edge off. Since you're presumably not having akathisia, it may do better for you than that.

http://www.integrativepsychiatry.net/neuro_medulla_complex.html