• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMF- Sharing what's happening-News January 2017

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Hi Guys,

OMF Newsletter for January 2017 :)

HOPE-MECFS-Facebook.jpg

OMF News January 2017
Carousel%20-%20END%20old%20vn%20new%20text%20v4.jpg

TED Talk Brings New Awareness to ME/CFS

ME activist, turned film director and producer, Jennifer Brea, took center stage at a recent TED Talks event and brought her audience to their feet. Jen begins her story when she first became ill five years ago. She shared the frustration, angst and obstacles she's encountered in seeking treatment for her condition as she was repeatedly misdiagnosed and minimized.
Jen brings home the lack of government research funding, ignorance in the medical community, and the extreme gender bias that continues today.
At one poignant moment as she nears her conclusion, Jen talks about the need to be open and to say "I don't know." Jen states, "when we say I don't know, that is when discovery can start."
This inspiring TED Talk will help the ME/CFS community spread our message. Please watch it-

https://www.ted.com/talks/jen_brea_what_happens_when_you_have_a_disease_doctors_can_t_diagnose-

and share it with your community. Thank you Jennifer Brea for sharing your story.

UNREST
TO PREMIERE AT THE SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL
Unrest%202.png

#MEAction co-founder Jennifer Brea created, directed, and producedUNREST to educate the world about the battle that ME/CFS patients around the globe face. The film has been selected to premier at the upcoming Sundance Film Festival. The premiere showing will occur this Friday evening, January 20. We are honored that Dr. Ronald Davis, Linda Tannenbaum, Ashley Davis, and Janet Dafoe will be among Jennifer's invited guests.
In this story of love and loss, newlyweds Jennifer Brea and husband,Omar, search for answers as they face unexpected obstacles with great heart. Often confined by her illness to the private space of her bed, Jen is moved to connect with others around the globe. Utilizing Skype, she unlocks a forgotten community with intimate portraits of four other families suffering similarly.
Jennifer Brea’s wonderfully honest portrayal asks us to rethink the stigma around a disease that affects millions of people. Unrest is a vulnerable and eloquent personal documentary. We are certain that most of our readers will feel the draw and impact.

PMWC_2017_MV_300x250_ver03.jpg

OMF is looking forward to new learning opportunties at the upcoming the Precision Medicine World Conference. OMF is a proud media sponsor of the event.

Dr. Ronald W. Davis, Linda Tannenbaum, and Scientific Advisory Board Member, Dr. Andreas Kogelnik will attend the conference. Dr. Kogelnik will also be presenting at the conference about ME/CFS. This is the leading conference for personalized medicine that brings together authorities in healthcare and biotechnology focusing on precision medicine. We are looking forward to a very productive meeting.

Looking forward
Webinar by OMF's Scientific Advisory Board Director

Ron%20Davis.jpg

This February, Dr. Ronald W. Davis will host a live webinar to give an exciting research and progress update on all that has been happening at OMF with the Severely ill Big Data Study, the Metabolomics validation study and what is planned for the coming months. Watch your inbox for the date and registration details. Coming soon.

Don%20and%20Linda%20Half%20Marathon.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Parents and M.E.
Linda and Don Tannenbaum are getting ready to launch an OMF Global Parents and M.E. tour visiting parents, caregivers and patients in many U.S. cities, the UK, Isle of Man, Northern Ireland, Belgium, Norway and Sweden. Stay tuned for more details, times and dates.

Brent%20Nick.png
One Child Helping Another

13-year-old Brent is devastated over what has happened to his friend Nick. Nick, 15, has been sidelined from his high school days by ME/CFS so his friend Brent is not sitting idly by. Brent has set a special project called "Help Nick find a way out of CFS" to raise money to support OMF's revolutionary research. As his Bar Mitzvah project, Brent has raised $400 toward his $500 goal in just three days.

One person truly can help to change the world. Thank you Brent for helping Nick and millions of people just like him around the world.

If you would like to create your own fundraising program, please visit OMF's Crowdchange page and get started today.

OpenMedicine Foundation
Tax ID: 26-4712664

Our Mission:
  • To support collaborative medical research to find effective treatments and diagnostic markers
  • To communicate, engage and inform the patient community.
  • To help drive & support scientific meetings for continued global collaboration.

A Word from our CEO/President:

We begin 2017 with great promise. With tremendous U.S. and International support, we are grateful to all of our study participants, donors, followers, bloggers and social media fans as well as our boards and volunteers that continue to help keep this ground-breaking research moving forward and communication flowing.

As OMF enters our 5th year, we are excited by the progress that our revolutionary research is making and by the outpouring of support from around the world.

Thank you becoming a part of the OMF family and being our partner in finding answers.

Linda%20pic.jpg

With hope, Linda
Linda Tannenbaum, CEO/President
Open Medicine Foundation
www.openmedicinefoundation.org
Linda@OpenMedicineFoundation.org
Fast-tracking revolutionary research for ME/CFS
and related chronic complex diseases

Donate Now
to join the Team of HOPE!

Turn Your Online Shopping Into Donations for Research.

Donate your old car, boat or plane and turn it into $$ to support research.
(Available in the US only.)

We invite the patient community to get involved by sharing with friends and family on Social Media.

Like us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Please visit our website at www.openmedicinefoundation.org
Donate to End ME/CFS

Last edited:

NexusOwl

Spanish advocate
Is there a way Parents and ME could visit Spain or at least arrange some kind of videoconference with some parents here? I think I can do as an interpreter myself or could find someone. I can talk to DOLFA, the association for kids with ME and FM and many other interested people. The situation here is awful, we need good scientist to give example and grab doctor's attention. Any action (a communicate or something like that) specially regarding kids would be a great help.

Aroa

I think it would be a great idea if they could include SPAIN in the "parents tour".

We really need a lot of help here in SPAIN, to try that our Doctors and people who make health decisions start MOVING .

Thank you !!!!

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
Is there a way Parents and ME could visit Spain or at least arrange some kind of videoconference with some parents here? I think I can do as an interpreter myself or could find someone. I can talk to DOLFA, the association for kids with ME and FM and many other interested people. The situation here is awful, we need good scientist to give example and grab doctor's attention. Any action (a communicate or something like that) specially regarding kids would be a great help.

I think it would be a great idea if they could include SPAIN in the "parents tour".

We really need a lot of help here in SPAIN, to try that our Doctors and people who make health decisions start MOVING .

Thank you !!!!

Hi Guys,

I am not sure of Linda's schedule, but I will pass this on to her for you. Thanks for the support!

B