• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

HNMT mutation (histamine)

Hi!

I've been diagnosed with an HNMT mutation and excessive mast cell histamine. I've been taking 200mg of SAM-E twice a day and avoiding cold / histamine liberator foods.

This helps but does not solve the problem... any tips for increasing HNMT production?

Thanks!

My DAO is great. HNMT and DAO are very different problems, I don't understand why people focus so much on DAO when HNMT / methylation problems are probably more prevalent because they're genetic in nature.

Thanks for the link - but some of the things mentioned there aren't right. People with HNMT problems only need to avoid histamine liberators foods, not histamine rich foods (which are degraded by DAO).

alicec

SYMBOL - HNMT

rs - rs1050891

NCBI - A>G

POLYMORPH - G/A

GENOTYPE RISK - YES

I was interested in your statement that HNMT/ methylation problems are genetic in nature. Can you give some links for that?

I don't know a lot about HNMT but haven't come across genetic variants leading to low activity, hence my question.

Regarding rs1050891, I'm afraid you have been misled. There is no evidence that this variant does anything.

Here is the entry from dsSNP. No clinical significance is listed and if you follow the two publications linked under PubMed you will see that the two studies looking at association of the SNP with asthma and aspirin response found no association.

No other studies appear to have been done.

Given the position of the SNP in the 3'UTR, it is unlikely on its own to do anything since it does not affect the protein produced. It is possible that SNPs in such a position could affect mRNA stability but usually it is more than one SNP. In any case, there is nothing to suggest this is the case for this SNP.

You need to appreciate that just because a variant is identified doesn't mean there is any consequence. Many variants do nothing at all and this SNP appears to be such a variant. So automatically calling a variant risk is incorrect as is thinking that all variants are a problem.

alicec

I have all the symptoms of excess mast cell histamine, the mutation they believe cause it and, more important, terrobçe histamine mst cell degranulation (which they also measure in test). So, something must be right...

I'm not questioning the symptoms or problems with histamine, but whether that SNP has anything to do with it.

I notice they say they are doing scientific studies to see IF genetics has any connection to the changes in histamine metabolism that they measure in their tests, not that those genetic changes actually do have an effect.

The other SNP they measure which you don't appear to have does cause a change in the enzyme and does seem to have some affect on histamine degradation, though it has not been identified as a pathogenic SNP. Possibly it may have an association with asthma susceptibility.

It will be interesting to see if they publish any findings of their findings about the two SNPs they measure.

Paralee

Achhh! I just checked my HNMT on 23andme and without cking any of them out I counted 18 heterozygous!!