• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What is your experience with MSM?

drob31

I seem to have a really good boost in energy from it, and I don't know why. I'm taking 1000 mg, 3x a day. One issue is sleep, however. My sleep is allot more broken, and it's much harder to fall asleep.

Vitamin C and MSM are synergistic, and I take them together. Does anyone know the mechanism behind the energy increase? What were you experiences?

Tammy

You might try a lower dose if it is affecting your sleep. I got an energy boost by taking just 1/8 of a tsp. I just started it a couple of weeks ago.

drob31

You might try a lower dose if it is affecting your sleep. I got an energy boost by taking just 1/8 of a tsp. I just started it a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking taking it farther away from bed also.

What do you think the mechanism behind the energy increase is?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I didn't have a good experience with MSM.

I took 1/4 tsp at 4pm one day and noticed my vision was noticeably washed out/solarized within 20 minutes.

When I woke the next day I had lower-right abdominal discomfort (liver?) and my tinnitus was much louder than usual. I took 1/4 tsp at 4am and it quickly dropped my already too low BP even lower (90/70 when standing, while wearing compression socks) and increased my OI. For the next few hours I wobbled when I walked, couldn't stay upright for as long due to OI symptoms arising more quickly, had increased light and sound sensitivity, upper left abdominal discomfort, and was much more tired than usual for the next 36 hours.

drob31

I didn't have a good experience with MSM.

I took 1/4 tsp at 4pm one day and noticed my vision was noticeably washed out/solarized within 20 minutes.

When I woke the next day I had lower-right abdominal discomfort (liver?) and my tinnitus was much louder than usual. I took 1/4 tsp at 4am and it quickly dropped my already too low BP even lower (90/70 when standing, while wearing compression socks) and increased my OI. For the next few hours I wobbled when I walked, couldn't stay upright for as long due to OI symptoms arising more quickly, had increased light and sound sensitivity, upper left abdominal discomfort, and was much more tired than usual for the next 36 hours.

I wonder if this is kind of like a herx effect?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
MSM is known to lower BP in some people. Maybe I noticed it more because my BP is already so low and because I have other OI problems.

Tammy

Thanks for the advice. I'm thinking taking it farther away from bed also.

What do you think the mechanism behind the energy increase is?
Not trying to be chincy............but google msm increases energy. Saves me time!