• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Falling down...symptom or clumsiness?

I'm wondering if anyone else gets this as a symptom of CFS?
In the last year I've fallen down the stairs twice whilst ill with other symptoms. The first time was when I had arm pain due to Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. I don't know what happened but suddenly I was slipping down the stairs but was stopped at the bottom by the closed dog gate.

The second time was this morning. I had strep throat before Christmas, finished the antibiotics on Christmas Eve and felt fine. Now I've caught a virus that's going around and feel dreadful again. I slipped again with no knowledge of how I fell.

I've always been clumsy and have lots of falling down stories. I'm not sure if this is something that's normal and it's a coincidence that both falls have been whilst my body is under stress. Or is this a symptom of CFS that flares up the same as any other?

Thinking back I have lots of memories where my legs just suddenly stop working, where they forget how stairs work, trouble getting onto escalators and wobbly legs etc. I always assumed that happened to everyone at times (I had glandular fever aged 7 which is where my symptoms started).

I'd be really interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Valentijn

The second time was this morning. I had strep throat before Christmas, finished the antibiotics on Christmas Eve and felt fine. Now I've caught a virus that's going around and feel dreadful again. I slipped again with no knowledge of how I fell.
My guess would be hypotension or similar form of orthostatic intolerance (OI). Viruses can cause hypotension, which might be especially bad if you already have some OI as a common ME symptom.

But it's probably best to get it checked out with a doctor. If you have OI on a chronic basis, it can probably be diagnosed and possibly treated.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
I stumble and fall occasionally. I fumble and drop a lot and it has become worse. This did not happen before the ME/CFS, so I think it is a symptom.