• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

LDN & CBD

bspg

Plant Queen
Hello everyone.

Newbie to the forums here. I've been stalking the forums for quite awhile but this is my first post.

I recently started taking both LDN and CBD. I've been taking the LDN for about 5 days and CBDs for 2 days. The last 2-3 days I've been feeling unusually tired (I've slept a TON), heavy, and also dizzy and nauseated.

I'm wondering if these symptoms are from the LDN or the CBD. I'm taking the 4.5mg dose of LDN (which I just read causes some people problems) and about 25mg CBD. My doctor asked me how the LDN is going, as she's never given it to a patient before and when I mentioned the tiredness, she said it could be the LDN activating my immune system.

Do you think this a desired effect of the LDN or the CBD? I'm not sure if this is a good sign or a bad one. Any advice is appreciated.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Best advice from this time forward: Only start one supplement or drug at a time if you are unsure how you are going to react to them. I would stop the CBD. I've tried CBD at much higher levels and it had no effect on me, but it can affect the P450 cytochromes, meaning it will effect how your body deals with any drug or supplement that uses that detoxification pathway. Are you taking any beta blockers?

bspg

Plant Queen
Best advice from this time forward: Only start one supplement or drug at a time if you are unsure how you are going to react to them. I would stop the CBD. I've tried CBD at much higher levels and it had no effect on me, but it can affect the P450 cytochromes, meaning it will effect how your body deals with any drug or supplement that uses that detoxification pathway. Are you taking any beta blockers?

Yes, I totally agree and try to only change one thing at a time. I've just started using the CBD because my pain has been so bad lately and it's all I have for pain relief right now. Since it's working for my pain, I might stop the LDN for a couple of weeks so I know what is causing my side effects.

I have never heard about CBD and P450 cytochromes... Do you have a source for this? I have mutations that affect some of my CYP enzymes, so it'd be nice to know which enzymes the CBD uses.

Also, I am not taking beta blockers. But I am on levothyroxine for hashimotos.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
I have never heard about CBD and P450 cytochromes... Do you have a source for this? I have mutations that affect some of my CYP enzymes, so it'd be nice to know which enzymes the CBD uses.
Potent inhibition of human cytochrome P450 3A isoforms by cannabidiol: role of phenolic hydroxyl groups in the resorcinol moiety.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21356216

Characterization of major phytocannabinoids, cannabidiol and cannabinol, as isoform-selective and potent inhibitors of human CYP1 enzymes.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20117100

Safety and Side Effects of Cannabidiol, a Cannabis sativa Constituent
http://www.medicinalgenomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Bergamaschi_2011.pdf
See Page 7

https://cbdoilreview.org/cbd-cannabidiol/cbd-p-450-enzyme/
Any drug metabolized by cytochrome P-450 enzymes could potentially interact with cannabidiol. According to the Indiana University Department of Medicine, drugs known to use the cytochrome P-450 system include:
  • Steroids
  • HMG CoA reductase inhibitors
  • Calcium channel blockers
  • Antihistamines
  • Prokinetics
  • HIV antivirals
  • Immune modulators
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Anti-arrythmics
  • Antibiotics
  • Anesthetics
  • Anti-psychotics
  • Anti-depressants
  • Anti-epileptics
  • Beta blockers
  • PPIs
  • NSAIDs
  • Angiotension II blockers
  • Oral hypoglycemic agents
  • Sulfonylureas
P450 Drug Interaction Table
http://medicine.iupui.edu/clinpharm/ddis/main-table/

Last edited:

wastwater

Just making a note I'm likely to have a problem with p450 (glaucoma connection)

Last edited:

Vojta

I have dizzines and nausea from CBD. So I would stop CBD for some time and see what goes away. I can't tolerate LDN in very low doses but the side effects for me were irritation, dysthymia and such. You could try to start LDN with much lower doses and build it up.

Helen

I can't tolerate LDN in very low doses but the side effects for me were irritation, dysthymia and such. You could try to start LDN with much lower doses and build it up.
According to my doctor, it depends on ones genetics if you get help from LDN or not. It´s not all about building it up slowly. FWIW.