• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri UK

erin

I had my appointment with Dr Chaudhuri today. Though I was ill prepared for this appointment due to extreme tiredness he was very good and mentioned some of the issues I forgot to mention or I didn't know well.

He is very approachable, down to earth. He spend over an hour with me. I think he's very knowledgeable, he is very aware of the issues that ME brings in one's life.

After a long introduction of my symptoms, he wanted to list my symptoms that effects me most. My worst symptom is fatigue. Then vertigo, jaw pain and the gastro symptoms.

He found it strange about not getting regular B12 injections as after initial B12 treatment my levels are bordering normal levels. NHS only gives the injection if you're severely deficient and according to them it is not severe. He mentioned the importance of supplementing B12 and vitamin D.

It was a long consultations, my husband was present and taking notes. After I listed symptoms of chronological decline of my health, I showed my recent blood tests and scans etc. I listed current medication, he commented on them.

He is going to send my GP a letter for more tests. He believes I have an adrenal issue and he was suspecting of Behcet's he'll advice a blood test regarding this also.

Afterwards he examined me, I was pretty stiff worse than I thought I was, couldn't lift my legs. He checked my neck and jaw where I have pain. Simple walk, checked my eyes etc. Then he checked my cognitive skills. I failed so badly that I was embarrassed. I could not reverse spell words, I could not count backwards from hundred minus seven each time etc. I could not remember the 3 sentences I'd read. I am mortified! I didn't realize my mind went down with this disease! He suggested I should read more and use some of my cognitive skills more. Suggested driving actually. I hate driving...

He advised to slow down, take exercise only if I want and if I can. I like swimming, he thinks this might be a bit to much for me on a regular basis. He explained the dangers of over exercising really well.

He suggested fodmap diet for my gastro issues, but he said he is not an expert on this. I might need to see an expert for my gastro symptoms.

He mentioned very mild sedative for dulling pain and muscle relaxing properties not for the psychological effects.

He diagnosed me post viral fatigue. I asked is this ME? He answered "yes, same thing" . I said I had the chicken pox virus 12 years ago, he mentioned the virus, herpes zoster in my case stayed in my body, entered in my DNA and is there to stay -unfortunately. He didn't mince his words, was very straightforward on this. This naturally upset me. I knew this but hearing from him was hard. I felt those 12 years of my life just went, wasted really. He did not think that I am in a very bad condition, I'm sure he's seen ME sufferers in debilitating conditions. I left work and I also live half the year in a better climate. I guess I'm lucky. But I can't help thinking the years lost, losing my career, fertility, friends & family... Well, loosing my youth, I feel I'm aged prematurely with this disease.

He didn't think at this stage I have active virus in my body. But my DNA is damaged. He didn't suggested any genetic testing or any viral lab works. He explained that there hasn't a solid body of work yet on the subject of anti viral medicine.

I think this is more or less what happened during the consultation. Sorry about my writing, I'm so tired today. I might have forgot some of the stuff. We took some notes but I can't write all the notes in here, if you want to ask anything I'll try to answer.

I funded this consultation myself. But Dr. Chaudhury will contacting my GP for further tests.

Last edited:
He suggested I should read more and use some of my cognitive skills more. Suggested driving actually.
I'd be careful with this. I can crash from too much cognitive exertion, though the crash symptoms aren't full-body like the crashes from physical exertion are. And your cognitive symptoms might have been particularly bad during the appointment due to OI and/or exhaustion from the effort of just getting there.

Driving seems an odd one to suggest, given the danger to life and limb if we have a moment of bad concentration. I gave up driving some years ago when I found that it was both too physically exhausting, and mentally draining having to concentrate fully on so much every moment. I had a couple of incidents where I nearly made a very bad decision because of tiny lapses in concentration.

charles shepherd

Good to know that you have had a very helpful and thorough consultation with Abhijit

I have known Abhijit as a friend and colleague ever since he worked with Professor Peter Behan at the Institute of Neurological Sciences, Southern General Hospital, in Glasgow

He is now based at Queens Hospital in Romford (NHS neurology) but sees occasional private patients when he is back in Glasgow

Abhijit also advises the MEA on clinical and research matters relating to neurology

Brief biographical details:

Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri (DM, MD, PhD, FACP, FRCP) is a consultant neurologist and leads the local service on neuroinflammatory disorders and multiple sclerosis. He was appointed as a Consultant Neurologist in the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust in April 2005. He previously worked as a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Neurosciences and Honorary Consultant Neurologist in the University of Glasgow (July 2000-April 2005).

Abhijit was appointed as the Clinical Lead in Neurology (September 2007-March 2010) and as the Clinical Director of Neurosciences (April 2010-December 2011).

He is the local host of the Department-to-Department Training
Programme of the European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS).

He is closely involved with postgraduate teaching and training and a member of the Question Writing Group of the Royal Colleges of Physicians for knowledge-based assessment of postgraduate training competencies in neurology.

He chaired the task force of the EFNS infectious diseases subgroup in developing guidelines on the management of acute bacterial meningitis.

Areas of interest
Multiple sclerosis; Parkinson's disease; Tremor; Headache; Epilepsy; Post-viral chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS/SEID)

Contact details for private appointments:

http://finder.bupa.co.uk/Consultant/view/80520/dr_abhijit_chaudhuri

His NHS contact details can be found in the MEA NHS website services directory

Invisible Woman

Re: cognitive function

I'd be careful with this. I can crash from too much cognitive exertion, though the crash symptoms aren't full-body like the crashes from physical exertion are.

I agree. However I find that if I push myself cognitively the crashes are as bad as if I push myself physically and I do have all the full on body symptoms with it.

If you are going to experiment I would suggest that you try things that are safe & won't matter if you get 'em wrong. Also, bear in mind what position you are in while carrying out additional cognitive tasks. So if something were to make you worse is it because it is simply too much, or because you were sitting for longer while you did it.

Also I find that time of day has a huge impact on cognitive function - if I do do much in the evening it disrupts sleep. I also need a couple of hours to come to, cognitively, after sleep or a nap.

Glad you had a positive experience. I hope it all goes well for you.

erin

I'd be careful with this. I can crash from too much cognitive exertion, though the crash symptoms aren't full-body like the crashes from physical exertion are. And your cognitive symptoms might have been particularly bad during the appointment due to OI and/or exhaustion from the effort of just getting there.

Oh, I am definitely careful about this, I simply can not do cognitive stuff the way I used to anymore. It is simply not possible.
You are so right about exhaustion due to attending a consultation with the Dr. I was overwhelmed with trying to remember everything although I took notes, even being prepared exhausted me.

erin

Driving seems an odd one to suggest, given the danger to life and limb if we have a moment of bad concentration. I gave up driving some years ago when I found that it was both too physically exhausting, and mentally draining having to concentrate fully on so much every moment. I had a couple of incidents where I nearly made a very bad decision because of tiny lapses in concentration.

I agree, I hate driving. It stresses me badly. I've not been driving for years. I won't, I'm scared as my reflexes are slow or sometimes unnecessary. I'd say it is a danger for me being on the road. I can't take such a responsibility. I didn't say all these to him, I didn't want to waste the time I have on an hour long consultation.

erin

Good to know that you have had a very helpful and thorough consultation with Abhijit

I have known Abhijit as a friend and colleague ever since he worked with Professor Peter Behan at the Institute of Neurological Sciences, Southern General Hospital, in Glasgow

He is now based at Queens Hospital in Romford (NHS neurology) but sees occasional private patients when he is back in Glasgow

Abhijit also advises the MEA on clinical and research matters relating to neurology

Brief biographical details:

Dr Abhijit Chaudhuri (DM, MD, PhD, FACP, FRCP) is a consultant neurologist and leads the local service on neuroinflammatory disorders and multiple sclerosis. He was appointed as a Consultant Neurologist in the Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals NHS Trust in April 2005. He previously worked as a Senior Lecturer in Clinical Neurosciences and Honorary Consultant Neurologist in the University of Glasgow (July 2000-April 2005).

Abhijit was appointed as the Clinical Lead in Neurology (September 2007-March 2010) and as the Clinical Director of Neurosciences (April 2010-December 2011).

He is the local host of the Department-to-Department Training
Programme of the European Federation of Neurological Societies (EFNS).

He is closely involved with postgraduate teaching and training and a member of the Question Writing Group of the Royal Colleges of Physicians for knowledge-based assessment of postgraduate training competencies in neurology.

He chaired the task force of the EFNS infectious diseases subgroup in developing guidelines on the management of acute bacterial meningitis.

Areas of interest
Multiple sclerosis; Parkinson's disease; Tremor; Headache; Epilepsy; Post-viral chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS/SEID)

Contact details for private appointments:

http://finder.bupa.co.uk/Consultant/view/80520/dr_abhijit_chaudhuri

His NHS contact details can be found in the MEA NHS website services directory

@charles shepherd I'm sorry that I forgot mention you and sending your regards to him. I can't believe that I forgot, I was so paranoid about to remember everything. this can be a pressure at times. It transpires that my cognitive levels were pretty bad, this explains it too. Apologies.

erin

Re: cognitive function

I agree. However I find that if I push myself cognitively the crashes are as bad as if I push myself physically and I do have all the full on body symptoms with it.

If you are going to experiment I would suggest that you try things that are safe & won't matter if you get 'em wrong. Also, bear in mind what position you are in while carrying out additional cognitive tasks. So if something were to make you worse is it because it is simply too much, or because you were sitting for longer while you did it.

Also I find that time of day has a huge impact on cognitive function - if I do do much in the evening it disrupts sleep. I also need a couple of hours to come to, cognitively, after sleep or a nap.

Glad you had a positive experience. I hope it all goes well for you.

Thank you Invisible Woman.

erin

One more thing to add, Dr. Chaudhuri suggested modified Cawthorne - Cooksey exercises for my vertigo. I'm not sure I can do all of it. He didn't think I can either. I'll try the simpler ones on the list. Though I'm a little hesitant.

erin

It was for Glasgow.
I think Romford is an NHS clinic. You can maybe referred to Romford by your GP.

erin

Dr Chaudhuri sent me a copy of the letter to my GP. He suggested a lot of tests and investigations. I made an appointment with my GP, unfortunately she's away until late February. I went to see the locum GP. She was fantastic!

As good as my wonderful GP -if not better! She's doing all the investigations and she added more tests.

Today I was feeling seriously spaced out. I went to the wrong surgery, when I met this wonderful locum GP I was even more spaced out. I found it difficult to speak. I'm having this problem more pronounced recently. She must have seen how struggled I was. Some of the misunderstandings of mine were ridiculous. However, she was exceptionally thorough, spare 35 minutes with me in this consultation. She's read the letter from Dr Chaudhuri and took a lot of notes, checked all my previous NHS tests results prior to my appointment. What a dedicated Dr she is!

One of the test is possibly be carried out in a hospital, she's trying to see if she can get this one done in the surgery as well so I won't get harassed to much. There's more, she called my house this evening, because I went to see her in the wrong surgery, or there was a misunderstanding on the phone when making the appointment I was booked my GP'S other surgery, she works for 2 different health centers. She informed me that she arranged another appointment on Tuesday before the tests as she actually could not arrange these very special and unusual tests on the system, computer wouldn't allow it. She's told me the tests I'm getting are not the routine tests.

So I am going to see her and get the tests that Dr. Chaudhuri suggested. She's told me she found my case very interesting. I admire these kind of dedicated wonderful doctors.

Allyb510

I can totally relate to that. I don't drive because I don't feel competent to anymore either. My senses aren't sharp enough. Sad really.

Allyb510

Dr Chaudhuri sent me a copy of the letter to my GP. He suggested a lot of tests and investigations. I made an appointment with my GP, unfortunately she's away until late February. I went to see the locum GP. She was fantastic!

As good as my wonderful GP -if not better! She's doing all the investigations and she added more tests.

Today I was feeling seriously spaced out. I went to the wrong surgery, when I met this wonderful locum GP I was even more spaced out. I found it difficult to speak. I'm having this problem more pronounced recently. She must have seen how struggled I was. Some of the misunderstandings of mine were ridiculous. However, she was exceptionally thorough, spare 35 minutes with me in this consultation. She's read the letter from Dr Chaudhuri and took a lot of notes, checked all my previous NHS tests results prior to my appointment. What a dedicated Dr she is!

One of the test is possibly be carried out in a hospital, she's trying to see if she can get this one done in the surgery as well so I won't get harassed to much. There's more, she called my house this evening, because I went to see her in the wrong surgery, or there was a misunderstanding on the phone when making the appointment I was booked my GP'S other surgery, she works for 2 different health centers. She informed me that she arranged another appointment on Tuesday before the tests as she actually could not arrange these very special and unusual tests on the system, computer wouldn't allow it. She's told me the tests I'm getting are not the routine tests.

So I am going to see her and get the tests that Dr. Chaudhuri suggested. She's told me she found my case very interesting. I admire these kind of dedicated wonderful doctors.

Erin, I've found your thread about Dr. Chaudhuri to be very interesting. I myself am in Scotland and in December I was undecided whether to see Prof De Meirleir in Belgium or Dr. Chaudhuri. Dr. Chaudhuri would have been the easiest option because I could have seen him in Scotland where I live, but I didn't know much about him or what approach he would take to treatment etc. Your posts will be very helpful to many people I'm sure.

If you are up to it and are ok with it, would you mind mentioning the additional tests you are having? Apologies if this is a cheeky question. It would be helpful to many people to know what to ask their doctor for. I realise they are sophisticated tests and not the basic ones you usually get on the NHS.

You're very lucky your GPs have been helpful! I wish I had one of those. The fact that Dr. Chaudhuri also works in the NHS, I believe, will make them more accepting of his advice.

Please keep on posting if you can. I hope it all goes well for you. It's a really good start to the year anyway!