• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Critical PACE article praising Alem Matthees on News.com.au

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
It's a good article, and it's a site with huge traffic in Australia.

ETA: article traffic currently at 856 readers, 600 readers above the next most popular headline.

Kati

Patient in training
Thanks for reading. I wrote the piece, inspired by Sasha Nimmo's interview with Alem. I was helped enormously by Alem himself, plus Tom Kindlon and Carolyn Wilshire.

The forums here gave me a huge amount to work with in assembling the bits and pieces that made up the story! I'm very pleased it seems to be getting a good audience. :)
Well done @Murph, thank you so very much!

AndyPR

Thanks very much for the excellent article @Murph , any chance you could request the text below Alem's photo right at the top of the article be amended, currently reads "A letter from Alem Matthees helped lead to a breakthrough in chronic fatigue.", I would want it to have "syndrome" added to the end.

Chronic fatigue is a symptom, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if we have to use that name, and for the purposes of the article that is what has been used, is the condition that we suffer from.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
This is terrific, @Murph! That's great that you managed to get this somewhere so high-profile.

I'd agree with Andy that it would be good to clear up a few instances of "chronic fatigue" instead of "chronic fatigue syndrome" - if you do a word search, you'll find them.

Also, Ron Davis doesn't head the OMF, Linda Tannenbaum does. But Ron Davis heads their Scientific Advisory Board:

http://www.openmedicinefoundation.org/scientific-advisory-board/

These are minor things, though - your article is top stuff!

It's a pity we can't leave comments. I'd like Australians to know that thousands of patients overseas are grateful to an Australian patient - Alem Matthees - whose actions are making such a difference.

trishrhymes

Chronic fatigue is a symptom, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, if we have to use that name, and for the purposes of the article that is what has been used, is the condition that we suffer from.

It could be said that the PACE trial was studying chronic fatigue, not CFS or ME, since the Oxford definition they used only requires the single symptom 6 months unexplained fatigue.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
It could be said that the PACE trial was studying chronic fatigue, not CFS or ME, since the Oxford definition they used only requires the single symptom 6 months unexplained fatigue.

But they claimed to be studying CFS and if CF and CFS are used interchangeably in the article it will give the impression that they're the same thing. The article doesn't explain the Oxford issue (rightly, IMO, because that would be too much detail) so the reader doesn't have that context.

Murph

:)
Thanks very much for the excellent article @Murph , any chance you could request the text below Alem's photo right at the top of the article be amended, currently reads "A letter from Alem Matthees helped lead to a breakthrough in chronic fatigue.", I would want it to have "syndrome" added to the end.

Cheers

Good tip - I will see if I can get those changed tomorrow morning.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Cheers

Good tip - I will see if I can get those changed tomorrow morning.

@Murph

First, thanks for the awesome article - I shared on my facebook, something I do rarely.

Second, is about my pet peeves.

Could it even go one better and use 'Myaglic Encephalomyelitis' throughout?

'Chronic fatigue syndrome' has so much historical negative connotations to overcome. It feels more like an accusation than a diagnosis.

Myalgic encephalomyelitis, except perhaps in the UK, carries none or very little negative baggage.

Same with "ME/CFS" - in my perfect world we'd only use "ME" and let 'cfs' fade away like a bad nightmare.

I realize these changes are probably out of your control, but wanted to express my thoughts.

Esther12

@Murph

If looking at minor errors, it looks like you talk about the 'tribunal' at the ICO stage here, when the tribunal was the final appeal:

Eventually the UK Information Tribunal Commission had enough. It told the PACE trial authors they had to release the data. The authors appealed the decision. They claimed confidentiality of the subjects of the study, although, as the tribunal would point out, the data was all anonymous.

Murph

:)
My editor just gave me some feedback. 85,000 readers so far! That's a strong result, even for stories on topics with far more population-wide appeal. (Not quite as far-reaching as a top-rating TED talk obviously, but not too shabby!)