• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New study reports the gut microbiota can modulate serotonin transporter activity.

AndyPR

Researchers have found evidence that could shed new light on the complex community of trillions of microorganisms living in all our guts, and how they interact with our bodies

Scientists at the University of Exeter Medical School and University of Zaragoza in Spain studied a protein known as TLR2, a critical detector of the microbiota found in the intestine. They found that it regulates levels of serotonin – a neurotransmitter which carries messages to the brain, and is also found in the gut, where it regulates our bowel routines.

The research, carried out in cell cultures and verified in mice, provides strong evidence that microbiota can interfere with human physiology by modulating the serotonin transporter activity. Serotonin transporter is a target for numerous diseases and it seems that microbiota living in our guts is able to interfere with this transporter, controlling our serotonin levels.

The finding, published in PLOS ONE, comes as scientists across the world are working to understand the complicated interactions between the “invisible world” of the microbiota in our bodies and the impact they have on our health and even our moods. Recently, scientists in California found evidence that the bacteria in the gut play a role in causing Parkinson’s Disease.

It may also help explain how the microbiota in our guts affect our physiology. Inflammatory bowel disease is thought to be triggered when TLR2 is not functioning properly, but so far, the mechanisms behind this have not been fully understood. This study aimed to further this understanding, and was supported the Foundation for the Study of Inflammatory Bowel Diseases in Aragón (ARAINF), in Spain.

http://neurosciencenews.com/physiology-gut-microorganism-5831/

Study available at http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0169303 - Intestinal serotonin transporter inhibition by Toll-like receptor 2 activation. A feedback modulation

Cheesus

A friend of mine has very successfully treated her bipolar I by treating the gut. She has basically been i remission for 2 years now, which is remarkable given that before that she was in and out of hospital a few times a year. So the connection between the gut and serotonin doesn't surprise me at all.

trishrhymes

A friend of mine has very successfully treated her bipolar I by treating the gut. She has basically been i remission for 2 years now, which is remarkable given that before that she was in and out of hospital a few times a year. So the connection between the gut and serotonin doesn't surprise me at all.

Fascinating. Are you able to give us any detail about how she treated the gut?

Was it diet, probiotics, prebiotics, drugs ....

Cheesus

Fascinating. Are you able to give us any detail about how she treated the gut?

Almost exclusively diet. I messaged someone about it recently. I will copy the relevant bit here;

A friend of mine has/had extremely severe bipolar I. She was in and out of psychiatric hospitals fairly regularly. She would have intense manic states with extremely alarming psychosis. She also had dissociative identity disorder (I think) in which she would dissociate out of herself for hours to weeks at a time, becoming another personality entirely. When she came back she would have no idea what had happened or where she had been - it was very frightening.

However she is now virtually recovered. This process began a few years back when she stopped taking her meds because she hated how they made her feel. Soon after that she had MAJOR idiopathic swelling in her abdomen - she looked like she was 9 months pregnant. After being told multiple times by her GP that her swelling was there because she was depressed (?!?), she ultimately had to be taken to hospital by ambulance because of the extent of swelling and pain. She had multiple intrusive investigations but the doctors were ultimately unable to identify the cause of the swelling. She became allergic to a number of different foods, including nuts and peanuts, and at one point almost died from anaphylactic shock.

She started eating according to how food impacted on her abdominal swelling. I have quizzed her on this, but the foods she ate do not really line up to any of the popularly known diets like SCD, Paleo, raw vegan, etc - she was simply guided by the obvious and almost immediate impact of how various foods affected her abdominal symptoms. Also we could not make a connection amongst the foods that caused swelling - they do not appear to fall into any particular food group or, to our knowledge, share any nutritional characteristics. At that point it was not clear to her that there was any connection between her gut and her bipolar.

Ultimately the swelling went down, and as it did her psychiatric symptoms improved markedly. Last I checked, she was down to 2 personalities from about 8 or 9, and has not suffered from a manic, hypo-manic or major depressive episode for about 2 years. She used to hallucinate constantly, but that is now gone and she was telling me not long ago how amazing it is to be able to hear the birds singing.

At present, if she eats gluten she gets a major resurgence in her bipolar symptoms (primarily hallucinations and paranoia) and her abdomen begins to swell again. That lasts for a few days to a week but will return to normal if she sorts her diet out. It was only after a few relapses that I managed to demonstrate to her the connection between gluten and her relapses. That connection is now as clear to her as the light of day; there is simply no room for doubt; it has been tested repeatedly.

Of course she has tried to tell doctors this, but no one is interested. I think they would rather believe she had a spontaneous and inexplicable remission than trust in her daily observations of cause and effect.