• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

XMRV serology testing at VIP Dx

Kati

Patient in training
I just received an e-mail from VIP Dx in answer to my query, the serology test for XMRV will not be ready until the end of the summer. Dr Lombardi is developing the test and it will be licensed by VIP Dx.

My balloon just deflated. :confused:

Kati

Patient in training
Currently the culture test is offered for XMRV. Check out VIP Dx on google.

Hysterical Woman

I just received an e-mail from VIP Dx in answer to my query, the serology test for XMRV will not be ready until the end of the summer. Dr Lombardi is developing the test and it will be licensed by VIP Dx.

My balloon just deflated. :confused:

Ah, Kati, my balloon just deflated too. I had a note written to myself by the computer to call them and ask if the serology test was still going to be available in April (someone had mentioned that as a possible date). I don't really have the money to have the current test done and another one later. Sigh. Was hoping like many others to have some answers.

Take care,

HW

julius

Watchoo lookin' at?
Kind of takes the wind out of my sails too. But, on the other hand, this at least gives us an ETA. Now I know not to expect it to be just around the corner, then be disappointed every evening after yet another day of no news.

Not really a 'bright side', but at least they threw us a bone.

Would you be able to post the email?

Kati

Patient in training
Hysterical, if you really want to know, you can get tested now and if you are negative for culture, they keep your blood and you get retested when the serology is available. However in the meantime they may decide to go on a large scale XMRV study, and then you would be tested for free. Anyways, there is nothing that can be done at the moment for XMRV +, just wait like the rest of us...

Kati

Patient in training
Julius, I just checked the e-mail and there is a privacy warning saying that the info is not to be distributed- so I will comply. The essential info was as above. Nothing else.

Hysterical Woman

Kind of takes the wind out of my sails too. But, on the other hand, this at least gives us an ETA. Now I know not to expect it to be just around the corner, then be disappointed every evening after yet another day of no news.

Not really a 'bright side', but at least they threw us a bone.

Would you be able to post the email?

Hi Julius,

I am glad that they threw us a bone, just hope there isn't another delay at that point.

Some Loggins and Messina music - "Sailin' the Wind" to commiserate with.

[video=youtube;AfzPfwIg9HU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzPfwIg9HU[/video]

HW

C

Cloud

I haven't followed xmrv testing issues for some time and have obviously missed something because I had both serology and culture done back in October with VIP. I knew they had dropped back to just using the Culture test....So is it an improved serology test your waiting on?

Kati

Patient in training
In October there was only PCR and culture offered. Serology has never been offered commercially. A few months ago they dropped the PCR and went with the culture only, I remember the date since I got my blood drawn that same day (january 15th). Since then I suspect Dr Mikovits got better culture techniques, and in the meantime Dr Lombardi is working on a reliable serology test. What's taking so long???

Kati

Patient in training
I had to double check to make sure... Here is wiki's version:

Serology is the scientific study of blood serum. In practice, the term usually refers to the diagnostic identification of antibodies in the serum.[1] Such antibodies are typically formed in response to an infection (against a given microorganism),[2] against other foreign proteins (in response, for example, to a mismatched blood transfusion), or to one's own proteins (in instances of autoimmune disease).

HopingSince88

Thx Kati,

I have the slowest internet connection on earth, and it was doing very poorly yesterday. To refresh a page or go to a new page can take 5 minutes rather than a few seconds!

My internet has ME/CFS! It appears that my connection is much better today than yesterday...it must have gotten a good night's sleep.:D

C

Cloud

I had to double check to make sure... Here is wiki's version:

Serology is the scientific study of blood serum. In practice, the term usually refers to the diagnostic identification of antibodies in the serum.[1] Such antibodies are typically formed in response to an infection (against a given microorganism),[2] against other foreign proteins (in response, for example, to a mismatched blood transfusion), or to one's own proteins (in instances of autoimmune disease).

Yes, the term "serology" basically means the study of blood. I also understood that the term was being used here more specifically involving Ab detection, as your defining Kati. Where I went wrong was assuming that my 3 xmrv values tested were Ab, PCR, & Culture. I took a look back, and silly me, they were PCR x 2 (serum & whole blood), and Culture (no Ab). I haven't followed the testing issues due to be away slaying other dragons.....so thanks for the clarification. I hope you can get tested before next fall....maybe one of the trials. Hugssss

omerbasket

Can someone explain us how is it that the WPI have no problem with doing srology tests, and VIPdx, with Dr. Lombardi which is from the WPI, won't have such a test until the end of the summer? Is it because a commercial test must be different from a research kind of test? And if so - how an why?

It's not that I have any complaints to VIPdx, and especially not to our angels in the WPI. It's just interesting to know what is the reason for that.

HopingSince88

I have another question that may seem silly, but I can't figure it out. I know the serology test is not available, but I was thinking of getting the already available test.

The requisition form for VIPdx has a box for a signature for a physician along with some codes. Does this mean I have to get this done through a doctor?

Is it possible to have the test done without a doctor's participation (in the US)? Can I take this requisition to any laboratory? Who ships the blood samples- the lab or me?

Alexia

Can someone explain us how is it that the WPI have no problem with doing srology tests, and VIPdx, with Dr. Lombardi which is from the WPI, won't have such a test until the end of the summer? .
This puzzles me also, why is it taking so long if they are using the serology test for research?