• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Finally getting a grasp on how my body responds to too little/too much methylfolate

bigmillz

Really just here to discuss and hopefully help someone else down the road. I've struggled to dial in my methylfolate dose almost as much as I did getting my mB12 dose dialed in.

I've put a solid month and a half into experimenting and I've begun noticing patterns. As I suspected earlier, they don't really follow the patterns most others experience. Which is why I hope this will someday help another person like me.

0mg mFolate - before I started it, I noticed that I was WAY over energized on just mB12, and burning out by 4pm every day. Super excited, constantly euphoric.
1mg mFolate - still too low, and way over excited. So euphoric it hurts. I meditate daily, and I can feel energy during my practice flowing through me. Sounds awesome right? Except in the evening, I'm crashing. And struggling to not blurt out obnoxious things just because I feel so damn awesome. It's a dangerous spot to be in, IMO. Insomnia is also prevalent. I have a fair amount of experience at this dose.
2mg mFolate - this is where things seem to start getting under control for me. I still feel very "electric" and full of energy, with a great mood overall, but not so much that it's distracting. I can begin to focus on things again. For me, this has become the lowest dose I feel comfortable at.
6mg mFolate - I stayed at this dose for a long time (several months) without thinking twice about it. It wasn't until I went back down to 2mg that I realized 6mg was too sedating. I felt very calm and collected, but I was tiring out way too easily.
15mg mFolate - I feel so calm at this dose it's ridiculous. Thing is, I'm so sedated I can barely get anything done. Easy to fall asleep.

I think somewhere between 2mg and 6mg is going to be my target dose now. I've been on 1mg all this week (3rd test at this dose I think), and I can't even sit still. It's so much that it takes me beyond being energized and outgoing - my mind is racing so fast I can't even formulate sentences without really trying. It's crazy.

Anyways, hope this pops up on Google for someone like me someday. Cheers!

Eastman

Did you try raising mB12 after raising your folate to 15mg? I got overstimulated from B12, so maybe it might help you offset the sedation from folate.

bigmillz

Did you try raising mB12 after raising your folate to 15mg? I got overstimulated from B12, so maybe it might help you offset the sedation from folate.

This actually isn't a bad idea.

I was taking 10mg mB12 (now on 5mg) but dropping to 5mg gave me more energy and less agitation. I think I was so wound on it that it totally offset any extra energy. Really weird.

Jimbo39

I tried upping my MB12 from 2.5 to 5 last week and got hit with flu-like symptoms (herxing and/or histamine reaction?). Also, stimulation and gut pain. More folate pulled me out of it. I increased B2, B6, and biotin and this seemed to help a lot. I slept soundly and had a clearer mind. However, it also gave me gut pain.

I think I'm on the right track but I keep running into obstacles. I'm going to order MB12 and B Complex oils and see if I can get around the gut pain problem.

bigmillz

I tried upping my MB12 from 2.5 to 5 last week and got hit with flu-like symptoms (herxing and/or histamine reaction?). Also, stimulation and gut pain. More folate pulled me out of it. I increased B2, B6, and biotin and this seemed to help a lot. I slept soundly and had a clearer mind. However, it also gave me gut pain.

I think I'm on the right track but I keep running into obstacles. I'm going to order MB12 and B Complex oils and see if I can get around the gut pain problem.

2.5 to 5 was a pretty big jump for me. I had to go back and forth a few times, then 3.75mg, to figure out why it wasn't working right. Going slower was key.