• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weakness after tonsillitis

I recently had tonsillitis for about 7 days, with 3 days of fever. I got antibiotics from my doctor fairly early and experienced an improvement after a few days. I've had me/cfs for about two years and it has been a very slow progress with many improvements and crashes. I've managed the disease quite well with pacing and rest and have always recovered after my crashes.

But now I feel that my health has been deteriorated after the tonsillitis and I feel much weaker in my body, especially the legs. My energy levels are lower than before and I feel tired almost all the time.

I hope this is only temporary and that I'll recover from this in due time. Me/cfs greatly increases the recovery time and even a healthy person can experience a lingering weakness after a harsh cold or influenza. Have anyone else experienced a deterioration after a sickness and recovered to the same state as before the sickness?

sb4

All my symptoms started after I got really bad tonsilitus. So if the virus has further added to your damaged immune system then maybe it got worse.

Kati

Patient in training
Hi @Santilion welcome to the forums.

You are fighting an infection, which is tough for the body to fight considering our already exhausted immune system. Listen to your body and rest as much as you can. Your body is fighting a world war.

It may take weeks in order to return to your usual level of activity. Focus on sleep, rest, low stimuli, good food, and quiet activities that feed your soul.

Best wishes.