• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MECFS Alert: Debroah Waroff interviews Dr Nancy Klimas.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Dr. Klimas has a gift of using simple language to convey complex stuff. Good video and messed up editing!

alex3619

In this interview Nancy Klimas is saying many of the things I would want to hear from good research. This includes issues around subgrouping. Of note they have applied for approval for two drugs to use on ME/CFS GWS, and these are already funded. The drugs were not named. Other drugs are being looked at for their potential, and some may be selected for clinical trial if they can get funding.

There is a glitch, or was when I played it, where the mold toxin discussion was played twice. It looks like an editing glitch.

PS The comment for the two drugs is for GWS not ME/CFS, but there are a number of candidate drugs for ME/CFS under early investigation.

Last edited:
In this interview Nancy Klimas is saying many of the things I would want to hear from good research. This includes issues around subgrouping. Of note they have applied for approval for two drugs to use on ME/CFS, and these are already funded. The drugs were not named. Other drugs are being looked at for their potential, and some may be selected for clinical trial if they can get funding.

There is a glitch, or was when I played it, where the mold toxin discussion was played twice. It looks like an editing glitch.
Alex are you saying they have two treatment potentials they are using?

alex3619

Alex are you saying they have two treatment potentials they are using?
No, they have two treatment potentials they have studies planned for and funded, awaiting approval. There are more candidate drugs being investigated.

PS The two drugs are for GWS as commented on by @Never Give Up. However there are candidate drugs under testing with more funding for ME/CFS. Only the drugs that are successful in these early studies will go on to human trials for ME/CFS. Some of the studies underway are for cell studies, they are studying what these drugs do in cells, possibly donated ME/CFS cells though this is not clear.

Last edited:

aaron_c

In the video Dr. Klimas suggests that she thinks that the best way to figure out who will respond to Rituximab is to see who has an cytokine signature that indicates autoimmunity. (She submitted a proposal to study this, so admittedly it is just a theory right now.) Does anyone know if this test is available already, perhaps for other autoimmune diseases?

Kati

Patient in training
In the video Dr. Klimas suggests that she thinks that the best way to figure out who will respond to Rituximab is to see who has an cytokine signature that indicates autoimmunity. (She submitted a proposal to study this, so admittedly it is just a theory right now.) Does anyone know if this test is available already, perhaps for other autoimmune diseases?

Dr David Patrick made a presentation at IACFSME in regards to blood predictors of response to Rituximab. At the moment, nothing is published, therefore it is highly unlikely that any information is going to be shared around.

Nielk

No, they have two treatment potentials they have studies planned for and funded, awaiting approval. There are more candidate drugs being investigated.

PS The two drugs are for GWS as commented on by @Never Give Up. However there are candidate drugs under testing with more funding for ME/CFS. Only the drugs that are successful in these early studies will go on to human trials for ME/CFS. Some of the studies underway are for cell studies, they are studying what these drugs do in cells, possibly donated ME/CFS cells though this is not clear.

It sounds to me like these are existing drugs? If so, why did they have to do animal testing first for the drugs for GWI and why the need to test cells first for ME?

It sounds to me like these are existing drugs? If so, why did they have to do animal testing first for the drugs for GWI and why the need to test cells first for ME?
My understanding is they developed an animal model for GWI. They then tested the drugs on animals to see which ones worked best.
They don't have an animal model for ME, hence testing on cells.

alex3619

You cannot get funding without evidence. For Rituximab they had three responders from Lymphoma treatment. For CFS and GWS, zero evidence for these drugs. So you need evidence to get funding for a pilot study, which gives you evidence for a phase 2 study, which gives you evidence for a phase 3 study. Otherwise there is no funding and nothing happens.

Hilary

Good interview - what struck me is her emphasis on really tightening the entry criteria - I think she said something like 'it doesn't serve anyone to just slop everyone in the same big bucket..if you want to succeed, you have to tighten the entry criteria' (I paraphrase as can't recall her exact words). What a marked contrast to the BPS trials in the UK where they not only slop all potential ME subgroups in the same bucket, but everyone else with chronic fatigue of any description as well......