• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Influenza vaccine as possible cause for cfs/me - help needed

Hello, I need some help.
My wife is sick since 2010 (ME/CFS). It all started a few days after she received a flu shot at work. After a very long judicial procedure, it has now been recognised as work-accident. But the judge did order a medical expertise to check that the cause of my wife's state is actually the vaccine. Good news is that they say that there is a judicial presumption that the vaccine is the cause. The expert needs actually to prove that the flu shot can be ruled out, without any doubt, as the cause of my wife's disease.
So I'm researching and collecting cases research and scientific papers about this subject. If any of you point me to such info it would be great!
Thank you so much!

SuzieSam

Wow, good luck. Have you heard of ASIA Syndrome? Professor Yeduda Shoenfeld of Tel Aviv University came up with it. It stands for Autoimmune Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants. He has quite a few papers on it. The idea is that Adjuvants - the chemical part of the vaccine that stimulates the immune system to react to the vaccine - over stimulates the immune system, and gets deposited in the body and causes long term health problems.

I hope this helps.

caledonia

Hi Lymelight,

I'm glad you were able to get some resolution from workers compensation.

The flu shot contains thimerosal, which is a form of mercury. Mercury is an extremely toxic neurotoxin which inhibits the methylation cycle, the Kreb's energy cycle and many other enzymes and pathways in the body. The symptoms of mercury toxicity are very similar to the symptoms of ME/CFS.

Check out the documentary Trace Amounts. The director of the documentary was made extremely sick by thimerosal from a tetanus shot, and has already uncovered the type of info you're looking for.

http://traceamounts.com/category/the-scientific-studies-in-the-film/
http://traceamounts.com/digital-downloads-rentals/

Edited to add: Also available for free on Youtube:

Also for treatment, go to my signature link and find the section on Andrew Cutler Frequent Dose Mercury Chelation. There are links to testing, treatment and Cutler support groups.

This is the only kind of chelation I suggest doing. Learned the hard way.

I'm on round #11 chelating out mercury, lead and arsenic.

Last edited:

charles shepherd

General information from The MEA on vaccines (including influenza vaccine) and ME/CFS

Anecdotal evidence indicates that a number of vaccinations are occasionally capable of either triggering ME/CFS, or causing an exacerbation of pre-existing symptoms, and the UK CMO Working Group report acknowledged (in section 3.3.2) that vaccinations can occasionally act as a trigger factor in the development of ME/CFS. The CMO report can be e-accessed using the document archive on the MEA website: www.meassociation.org.uk

The link is biologically plausible but there hasn't been any really robust research carried out to investigate the role of vaccinations as immune system stressors in the causation of ME/CFS.

Two fairly recent published reports of interest relate to an MHRA review of HPV vaccine (Cervarix) and ME/CFS >>

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/NewsCentre/Pressreleases/CON316330

and two case reports re Swine Flu vaccine and ME/CFS:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...accination-bmj-rapid-responses-21-march-2014/

I have a longstanding interest in the role of vaccinations in ME/CFS and my patient evidence on the subject, which is now quite substantial and includes a number of health workers who were vaccinated almost as a condition of employment, indicates that hepatitis B vaccine appears to play an unusual and significant role here

This is supported by the results of the MEA website poll on the roll of vaccinations as trigger factors for ME/CFS (see below)

The MEA has an information leaflet which summaries the research evidence relating to vaccinations and ME/CFS.

Similar information is summarised and referenced on page 41 of the MEA purple booklet.

MEA WEBSITE POLL:

• If your ME/CFS was triggered by a vaccination, which vaccine was involved?
    • Hepatitis B (57%, 338 Votes)

• Flu (9%, 51 Votes)

• Other (7%, 41 Votes)

• BCG (6%, 33 Votes)

• Cannot remember (5%, 31 Votes)

• Combination (5%, 27 Votes)

• Tetanus (3%, 18 Votes)

• Meningitis (3%, 17 Votes)

• MMR (2%, 14 Votes)

• Polio (2%, 10 Votes)

• Hepatitis A (1%, 7 Votes)

• Typhoid (0%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 591
Start Date: April 30, 2010 @ 3:20 pm
End Date: June 2, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

charles shepherd

And from the (2016) MEA purple book - Management Section:

Immunisations appear to be capable of both triggering the syndrome as well as causing a relapse (Shepherd 2001a) although, as yet, there is no clear evidence from prospective and retrospective studies (Appel et al 2007). A number of anecdotal cases, often in health workers, have followed hepatitis B vaccination.

· The effect of live oral poliovirus vaccination was examined in a double-blind study (Vedhara et al 1997). Vaccine administration was not associated with clinical exacerbation of ME/CFS. However, objective responses to the vaccine revealed differences between patients with ME/CFS who received the vaccine and healthy controls who received it as well: increased poliovirus isolation, earlier peak proliferative responses, lower T-cell subsets on certain days post-vaccination and a trend for reduced gamma-interferon in the ME/CFS group. Although the vaccination was not found to be contraindicated for ME/CFS patients, there was evidence of altered immune reactivity and virus clearance.

· The effect of influenza vaccination was examined in an Australian pilot study which found that vaccination is accompanied by a degree of immune dysregulation in ME/CFS patients compared to controls and that the vaccine has the ability to increase cytotoxic activity and pro-inflammatory reactions post vaccination (Brenu et al 2012b). However, Prinsen et al (2012) found that humoral and cellular immune responses following influenza vaccination were comparable in ME/CFS patients and healthy controls. A short report in the BMJ (Lynch et al 2013) described how two health workers developed ME/CFS following influenza vaccination. However, as part of a registry surveillance of adverse reactions after mass vaccination in Norway, Magnus et al (2015) found no indication of increased risk of ME/CFS following influenza vaccination.

· No sizeable association between vaccination against meningococcal disease and occurrence of ME/CFS in teenagers was found in a case-control study (Magnus et al 2009).

· Some cases of ME/CFS following HPV vaccination (human papillomavirus vaccination) have been reported to the MHRA. However, a 2012 MHRA report concluded that any link to ME/CFS was unproven and coincidental. The report is available on the Cabinet Office website: http://tinyurl.com/qbotdnr

When immunisation is considered necessary, it should be arranged at a time when the patient is feeling reasonably well, especially in relation to flu-like symptoms (i.e. sore throats, tender glands, feeling feverish). Travel vaccines should not be given immediately before departure if at all possible.

vision blue

Interesting on the tetanus vaccine, which i did receive following an injury to eye and preceded everything (though of course there were other preceding events, and thus far I have not implicated the vaccine). Question - does anyone remember how long after the tentatus vaccine one would be likely to get symptoms?

roller

wiggle jiggle
an injury to eye and preceded everything

what month did this happen?
was the wound 'closed' (bandaged) thoroughly?

@Lymelight
depending on the symptoms, you may also look into narcolepsy.
there is plenty of evidence that its caused by influenca virus

@charles shepherd
sleep problems due to influenca viruses seem related to a malfunctioning adaptive immune response.
isnt the adaptive immune response a target (perhaps even the main target) of vaccinations?
isnt it the adaptive immune response which is wiped out by rituximab?

drob31

Wow, good luck. Have you heard of ASIA Syndrome? Professor Yeduda Shoenfeld of Tel Aviv University came up with it. It stands for Autoimmune Syndrome Induced by Adjuvants. He has quite a few papers on it. The idea is that Adjuvants - the chemical part of the vaccine that stimulates the immune system to react to the vaccine - over stimulates the immune system, and gets deposited in the body and causes long term health problems.

I hope this helps.

Could this ASIA hypothesis apply to anything that is injected or just vaccines?

Skippa

Anti-BS
Oh crap I keep forgetting this my ME/CFS started in the same year AFTER I had my travel to Africa shots (I never did go to Africa).

Damnit. To think that in an attempt to stay safe on the possibility I *might* go to Africa I messed up my entire life ever since (15 years).

Grrr. How would I ever figure out if this was the case?

taniaaust1

Oh crap I keep forgetting this my ME/CFS started in the same year AFTER I had my travel to Africa shots (I never did go to Africa).

Damnit. To think that in an attempt to stay safe on the possibility I *might* go to Africa I messed up my entire life ever since (15 years).

Grrr. How would I ever figure out if this was the case?

Im the same,I had multiple Hep B shots as they wouldnt take.. all within the 12 months before I developed ME/CFS (im not sure just how far before as I didnt know i had ME/CFS and figured that out up to a year later, I thought I just got viruses so never thought about trying to connect my illness to vaccination)

SuzieSam

@drob31 It applies to silicon implants (breast and others) and I think any medical implant made from problematic material - amalgam fillings in teeth etc.

Prof Shoenfeld has testified in court regarding Autoimmune disease arising from silicon breast implants.

@taniaaust1 and @Skippa there is a lot about the Hep B vaccine causing ME and autoimmune illnesses. I'm so upset - I'm pretty sure my daughter's Hep B vaccine at age 7 caused her sleep disorder and fibro.

SHE DIDN'T EVEN NEED IT! School insisted on it. Why is a little kid considered in a risk group for a sexually transmitted disease, that's also transmitted by blood from needles? I was so uninformed back then - very pro vaccination.

Hep B isn't even a serious illness for 95% of people! At least! Grrrrrrrr.

Needless to say, no effing vaccines for my kids I haven't seriously researched - no flu, no Gardasil for HPV. That's the one the school is trying to push now. If I the energy I'd mount an anti vaccine campaign about that! It's all about money - not health.

Safe sex and regular smear tests for the HPV. Kids without lung disease can cope with a dose of flu. My son had flu and a chest infection 2 years ago. Missed a month of school. His first illnesses ever, age 11. First antibiotics. It was horrible for him. Still not vaccinating, with all I know now.

Oh gosh, I needed that rant.

SuzieSam

I've been trying to work out how to prove the vaccine-ME connection. Unless you react immediately, I can't see how. But I read the other week of an American man who won millions in damages for ME resulting from a vaccine! Can't find it. Think it was Hep B. Brain fogged.

charles shepherd

I've been trying to work out how to prove the vaccine-ME connection. Unless you react immediately, I can't see how. But I read the other week of an American man who won millions in damages for ME resulting from a vaccine! Can't find it. Think it was Hep B. Brain fogged.

This is the US court case that you have probably ready about:

https://therefusers.com/hepatitis-b-vaccine-caused-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-us-court/

None of the HBV and ME/CFS cases that I have been involved with here in the UK over the years - mainly involving health workers - have proceeded to court

CS

chipmunk1

Im the same,I had multiple Hep B shots as they wouldnt take.. all within the 12 months before I developed ME/CFS (im not sure just how far before as I didnt know i had ME/CFS and f

same here. What was the year when that happened?

Did you have any symptoms before the Hep B? Did you develop eye problems, visual processing issues and other weird stuff like that?

Skippa said:

Was Hep B among them?

Last edited:

taniaaust1

same here. What was the year when that happened?

Did you have any symptoms before the Hep B? Did you develop eye problems, visual processing issues and other weird stuff like that?

off my head I cant remember what year it was unless I went and looked it up (i was 2nd year of my college)

No I had no ME stuff before hep B vaccination other then residual some memory issues after I had severe EBV 10 years before. After I got ME though I strange eye stuff eg early ME along with the other viral symptoms I had, my eyes swelled almost shut like a bullfrogs.

Skippa

Anti-BS
@chipmunk1 I don't remember, possibly it was the combined NHS one but I can't be sure. Maybe I can see if it is on my files next time I visit the doc.

vision blue

@roller The eye injury was poking eye on tree/bush branch while out hiking; turned out to be just a corneal abrasion. don't remember the month- why on the month? I have a different cause in mind for me than the tetanus shot, which maybe will post on.

@SuzieSam yes, what they do is they put 95% of babies/families at risk with those hep vaccinations in order to play big brother to the 5 or fewer percent where hep b pay be a player in the mother, usually from drug abuse (mothers can test negative and still pass on to babies i believe - i know it works that way for cmv). Those kinds of "good for society" rules can easily make me go postal.

Hip

The flu shot contains thimerosal, which is a form of mercury. Mercury is an extremely toxic neurotoxin which inhibits the methylation cycle, the Kreb's energy cycle and many other enzymes and pathways in the body.

But you get more mercury from eating a can of tuna than you do from a vaccine shot, and I don't know many people who have contracted ME/CFS or any other disease after eating a tuna salad or sandwich.

In a vaccine, you get around 10 to 25 mcg of ethylmercury. In a can of tuna, you get around 40 mcg of methylmercury — and 95% of orally ingested methylmercury is absorbed into the body.

So that suggests that mercury in vaccines is not doing much harm at all.

Last edited:

Hip

I find Professor Yeduda Shoenfeld's ideas on adjuvants being the possible culprits in vaccine-triggered autoimmunity very interesting. If you look at this post, which details the contents of a videoed presentation by Shoenfeld, he says that the only vaccine that has never been linked to triggering any autoimmune disease is Pneumovax, and this also happens to be the only vaccine that does not contain any adjuvants.

In the case of ME/CFS triggered by vaccines, I would not have thought that adjuvants getting deposited in the body long term would be a factor, because as I understand it, vaccine-triggered ME/CFS when it does occur appears very rapidly (within days) of the vaccination. So this suggests more of an immediate response to the vaccine, rather than any long term effects of a bioaccummulated adjuvant.

Last edited: