• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

vitamin d injections?

xrayspex

have any of you had these to treat deficiency or for ostepenia? I have both and don't tolerate it orally well and am wondering if would do better with injection? I was reading online that some people feel its painful though and not worth risks of infection but then someone told me there elderly mom really benefited from it soooooo, don't know..........any experiences shared appreciated

aaron_c

I use a UV-B lamp, and that seems to work well enough for my purposes, although I haven't been tested again to see if I am still deficient in vitamin D. For some reason the UV-B lamp doesn't seem to cause the complications for me that taking vitamin D orally did.

xrayspex

I use a UV-B lamp, and that seems to work well enough for my purposes, although I haven't been tested again to see if I am still deficient in vitamin D. For some reason the UV-B lamp doesn't seem to cause the complications for me that taking vitamin D orally did.
thanks Aaron good idea

could you please share what happened when you took vit d orally? I feel like my doc thinks I am weird not to tolerate it but I have another friend who gets wonky stuff too............

Bansaw

I was tested crazy-low vit D a couple of years ago.
One doctor gave me super strength Vit D which my newer doctor balked at, and said, "you need to take emulsified Vit D". I took a few drops a day of this and my Vit D returned to normal in a couple of months.

aaron_c

could you please share what happened when you took vit d orally?

It's a long story. This thread details how some people with ME/CFS get extremely tired from taking Vitamin D--I think one person even said it happened when they got exposed to sunlight. And yes, I was one one of the people it made quite tired.

Vitamin A helped with fatigue to some degree, but not enough on its own. Vitamin MK-4 (a kind of vitamin K) helped with problems from calcium excess like headaches. The star player ended up being AKBA* (alpha keto benzoic acid), a derivative of frankincense, which along with vitamin A removed fatigue as a side-effect of vitamin D.

Unfortunately, vitamin D also caused huge problems concentrating, which is why I haven't posted much since my vitamin D experiment. Weirdly, stopping vitamin d (it's been months now) hasn't brought my brain back, so my current assumption is that my problems focusing were more of an indirect effect of the vitamin D than a direct effect.

In addition to all this, vitamin d weirdly seemed to cause a boron deficiency--weirdly, because boron seems to increase the active form of vitamin d. All in all, it seemed like after a while taking vitamin D would cause symptoms of vitamin d deficiency: what some people refer to as "ammonia" symptoms, in my case diarrhea, a feeling like my blood or lymph was stuck--very uncomfortable--and depression. This would be alleviated by taking boron. Unfortunately, boron depletes riboflavin, and I could never take enough boron to maintain high vitamin d levels without taking so much boron that I had symptoms of riboflavin deficiency. This was why I stopped taking oral vitamin D.

---

*I think vitamin d makes some of us tired because vitamin d works together with TGF-beta (high in some people with CFS) to increase 5-lipoxygenase activity--at least in myeloid cells. 5-lipoxygenase increases production of some inflammatory mediators, and I think this is how it could be making us tired. This theory is backed up by my success using AKBA to prevent fatigue as a side-effect of vitamin d.

As a side-note, the long-term benefits of this strategy are worth debating. Upregulating 5-lipoxygenase (production?) is part of our immune response to...something. Should we be trying to undercut this so that we can avoid vitamin-d side-effects? I'm not sure.

Horizon

I was tested crazy-low vit D a couple of years ago.
One doctor gave me super strength Vit D which my newer doctor balked at, and said, "you need to take emulsified Vit D". I took a few drops a day of this and my Vit D returned to normal in a couple of months.

I have tried it all, sans injections but what is emulsified? I am going to try this and if that doesn't work I need either a vitamin D lamp (prefer to avoid given skin/eye issues that can result) and injections which are unpleasant.

xrayspex

thanks Aaron.....I am going to have to ponder all that and do some homework
but I do wonder why some of our bodies don't like Vitamin D and if not then yea is it good idea to force it on us? seems like lose-lose situation when have low D. A friend of mine feels she is getting manic from pushing the D and K on herself but its healing her psoriasis.........

Last edited:

xrayspex

do any of you know anyone on forum or elsewhere that felt bad from oral D but could process it better thru injection and not have bad side effects?
what is so bad about the injection? why is it worse than like a random shot at the doctor office ? :)

Horizon

do any of you know anyone on forum or elsewhere that felt bad from oral D but could process it better thru injection and not have bad side effects?
what is so bad about the injection? why is it worse than like a random shot at the doctor office ? :)

I think the problem with the injection is 1. it is not commonly available, 2. it would likely be vitamin D2 which is inferior and may not raise our levels. We really need D3 and unless you got it via compounded pharmacy I am not sure a regular pharmacy would carry such a thing.