• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to check drugs against CYP450?

Horizon

My nutritionist sent me a PDF of Youscript and said I need to do my homework on which drugs would and would not be ok for me via CYP450. I have the 23andme data but I have no idea how I check whether individual drugs are ok or not.

alicec

This info from the Youscript website tells you which genes they test for.

You need to run your 23andme results through something like Promethease then search the report for the various CYP genes that Youscript lists.

This will give you an idea if you have variants affecting these drug metabolism genes. You can then search for drugs known to be metabolised by those particular CYP members.

This would be an approximation to the Youscript test since you don't know if they are testing for the same SNPs as 23andme, and you wouldn't be getting their interpretation of the results.

Still it should give you an idea if you have serious CYP problems. If so you could maybe then consider getting the Youscript test for at least those CYP members.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My doctor ordered a pharmacogenetics test that reported on about 180 drugs. My doctor and I have found it very helpful in choosing medications and appropriate doses, as for some you may need a larger dose, for some a lower dose and some should not be taken at all. It came with a wallet card listing drugs that should not be given. It is from http://asperiolabs.com/pharmacogenetics/

alicec

Genetic Genie is more limited than Promethease and doesn't look at combinations. As far as I recall (it was some time ago) some of the calls in my results were incorrect.

I haven't had a chance to look at the other site yet.

alicec

I've just had a look at the codegen site. It does a pretty good job of ranking things by known research.

You could upload your 23andme results there and go to the pharmacogenomics section under topics. This will list all the relevant SNPs and combinations that they look at, including CYPs.

As they make clear, for some CYPs it is not possible to be definitive because 23andme doesn't test all relevant SNPs. The best they can say is that certain identified variants are associated with altered metabolism but more info is necessary to be sure.

This would give you a starting point at least and it won't cost you anything.

Horizon

Some of these sites are interesting but then go on to list all kinds of scientific info and gets hard to understand. I wish it was simple like advil, no, tylenol yes etc lol.

alicec

I wish it was simple like advil, no, tylenol yes etc lol.

The Youscript test would do that but of course would have a significant cost.

You were asking about using your existing 23andme results. This has the limitations discussed above plus does require effort on your part (for all SNPs, not just those for drug metabolism).

sregan

Genetic Genie is more limited than Promethease and doesn't look at combinations. As far as I recall (it was some time ago) some of the calls in my results were incorrect.

I haven't had a chance to look at the other site yet.

codegen.eu pulls info from Snpedia just like Promethease and seems to have the same info.