• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone try colloidal silver?

Aerose91

I had a metametrix stool test done and have 2 infections which are causing me issues

Citrobacter freundii 4+
Klebsiellia Oxytoca 4+

The citrobacter showed susceptibility to uva-ursi, so that's no problem, but the klebsiellia was resistent to everything- berberine, oregano, plant tannins & uva-ursi

I can find very little about proven treatments (non antibiotic) except for one guy who had success with olive leaf extract. Otherwise, all i see is colloidal silver kills it- though i have no experience with colloidal silver and it seems possibly dangerous if you take it too high or long. And we're a special group of people....

Does anyone here have experience with colloidal silver, or know a proven way to kill klebsiellia?

Helen

Does anyone here have experience with colloidal silver
I asked my experienced ME-doctor about his view on colloidal silver. He warned me as it could become toxic together with the increased levels of ???? that people with ME often have. Sorry that I am not quite sure of what he said so I shall not refer to it, but his message was clear.

Last edited:

Hugo

I asked my experienced ME-doctor about his view on colloidal silver. He warned me as it could become toxic together with the increased levels of ???? that people with ME often have. Sorry that I am not quite sure of what he said so I shall not refer to it, but his message was clear.

My lyme doctor, who is kind of open minded to alternative medicine does not like colloidal silver eihter. But I dont remembered the reason, silver is toxic though but the colloidal version has such low levels of silver. Hard to say, I would also be interested to hear about experience about this treatment.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does anyone here have experience with colloidal silver, or know a proven way to kill klebsiellia?

I took colloidal silver about 13 years ago for a recurrent strep sore throat - it worked very well, I think better than the ABX because the sore throat did not come back. In general I think it's safe. Of course you can't drink gallons of the stuff, and have to make sure you get it from a reputable company. But I had no problems with it.

Aerose91

That's interesting, and not suprising to me considering how unique we are.
@Mary did you have M.E. when you took the colloidal silver in the past?

Mary

Moderator Resource
That's interesting, and not suprising to me considering how unique we are.
@Mary did you have M.E. when you took the colloidal silver in the past?

I did. My former ME doctor (who unfortunately died last May) recommended colloidal silver for MRSA. I never had MRSA, but there was a scare about it some years ago. I don't know why someone would consider colloidal silver harmful to people with ME/CFS. I think it's safer than many antibiotics.

Hip

i have such low levels of good flora i dont want to risk it

I should think that most antibacterial supplements that are strong enough to tackle your Klebsiella infection will also negatively impact the friendly bacteria in your gut.

I always take a course of probiotics for a week or so after taking any antibiotics, to restock the friendly bacteria; and it is probably a good idea to do this after taking any strong antibacterial supplement as well. Prebiotics (eg inulin) are also very good to help promote friendly bacteria.

If you want to try to selectively target Klebsiella without affecting the beneficial bacteria of the gut, then note that Klebsiella is a Gram-negative bacterium, whereas most friendly bacteria are Gram-positive. So if you find an antibacterial compound that selectively targets Gram-negative bacteria, this should leave the friendly bacteria relatively untouched.

Monobactam antibiotics such as aztreonam have strong activity against certain Gram-negative bacteria, but leave Gram-positive bacteria untouched.

Aminoglycoside antibiotics such as streptomycin selectively target Gram-negative bacteria; however, aminoglycosides have potential for significant toxicity (eg ototoxicity), are and thus not used unless really necessary.

I am not aware of any herbal supplements that selectively target Gram-negative bacteria, but there may be some.

This study found the essential oils of oregano and thyme where effective against Klebsiella oxytoca.

Aerose91

I should think that most antibacterial supplements that are strong enough to tackle your Klebsiella infection will also negatively impact the friendly bacteria in your gut.

I always take a course of probiotics for a week or so after taking any antibiotics, to restock the friendly bacteria; and it is probably a good idea to do this after taking any strong antibacterial supplement as well. Prebiotics (eg inulin) are also very good to help promote friendly bacteria.

If you want to try to selectively target Klebsiella without affecting the beneficial bacteria of the gut, then note that Klebsiella is a Gram-negative bacterium, whereas most friendly bacteria are Gram-positive. So if you find an antibacterial compound that selectively targets Gram-negative bacteria, this should leave the friendly bacteria relatively untouched.

Monobactam antibiotics such as aztreonam have strong activity against certain Gram-negative bacteria, but leave Gram-positive bacteria untouched.

Aminoglycoside antibiotics such as streptomycin selectively target Gram-negative bacteria; however, aminoglycosides have potential for significant toxicity (eg ototoxicity), are and thus not used unless really necessary.

I am not aware of any herbal supplements that selectively target Gram-negative bacteria, but there may be some.

This study found the essential oils of oregano and thyme where effective against Klebsiella oxytoca.
Im aware of the risk a general antiseptic has against good flora as well, its just that i can choose to only take a small amount of colloidal silver for a short time instead of a full course of antibiotics. Its something i don't have to worry about things building resistance to, either, since ill likely never use it again.

The lab tested the klebsiellia against berberine, oregano, uva ursi and tannins and it showed to be resistant to all of them

Tammy

I love silver! I have used it for so many things. Pink eye, sore throat, sinus infection, SIBO, etc. etc. I like the brand Sovereign Silver.

Aerose91

I love silver! I have used it for so many things. Pink eye, sore throat, sinus infection, SIBO, etc. etc. I like the brand Sovereign Silver.
Never any side effects from it? How much do you use? I wanted to go as little as possible and am interested solely in SIBO

Tammy

Never any side effects from it? How much do you use? I wanted to go as little as possible and am interested solely in SIBO
No side affects for me. For SIBO I've used it for long periods of time anywhere from 1 tsp - 3 tsp a day.

Last edited: