• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MEA website poll for November: PACE trial re-anysis and NICE guideline on ME/CFS

charles shepherd

Current votes - the poll has only just gone up!

• Following the re-analysis of the PACE trial data, should NICE remove its recommendations on CBT and GET?
    • Yes - definitely (97%, 37 Votes)

• Yes - to some extent (3%, 1 Votes)

• Neutral (0%, 0 Votes)

• Not sure (0%, 0 Votes)

• Probably not (0%, 0 Votes)

• Definitely not (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 38

charles shepherd

Just over 200 votes in less than 2 days:

• Following the re-analysis of the PACE trial data, should NICE remove its recommendations on CBT and GET?
    • Yes - definitely (93%, 194 Votes)
      guideline_nice.gif

• Yes - to some extent (6%, 12 Votes)

• Neutral (1%, 2 Votes)

• Not sure (0%, 0 Votes)

• Probably not (0%, 0 Votes)

• Definitely not (0%, 1 Votes)

Total Voters: 209

charles shepherd

Current votes below

This MEA website poll will close at the end of November

Please vote if you have not already done so

• Yes - definitely (93%, 627 Votes)

• Yes - to some extent (5%, 37 Votes)

• Neutral (1%, 4 Votes)

• Not sure (0%, 0 Votes)

• Probably not (0%, 2 Votes)

• Definitely not (1%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 675
Polls Archive

charles shepherd

Why are we asking about the PACE trial re-analysis and revision of the 2007 NICE guideline on ME/CFS in this month’s MEA website Quick Survey?

The ME Association has consistently held the position that the 2007 NICE guideline on ME/CFS is unfit for purpose – especially in relation to the recommendations regarding CBT and GET and the failure to endorse Pacing as a safe and effective form of activity and energy management for ME/CFS

We have also argued that the NICE guideline has a number of other serious defects and needs to be comprehensively revised:

www.meassociation.org.uk/2013/10/mea-opposes-plan-to-put-review-of-nice-mecfs-guideline-on-hold-23-october-2013/

And. when a revision does finally takes place, proper weight must also be given to ‘patient evidence’ on the efficacy and safety of CBT, GET and Pacing – as is contained in the our ‘patient evidence’ report:

www.meassociation.org.uk/how-you-can-help/introduction-to-our-cbt-get-and-pacing-report/

Following on from the Freedom of Information (FoI) tribunal decision to release some of the PACE trial data, and the subsequent re-analysis of this data, the clinical trial evidence in support of CBT and GET can no longer be relied on by NICE,

And as it now appears from another FoI request in relation to correspondence involving NICE, NHS England and the Countess of Mar that there will be a surveillance review of the NICE guideline in early 2017, we shall be submitting this MEA ‘patient evidence’ to NICE.

NICE FoI correspondence:

www.meassociation.org.uk/2016/10/nice-takes-a-dim-view-of-foreign-research-on-mecfs-robin-ellis-freedom-of-information-request-24-october-2016/

We also believe that it will be important to accompany this ‘patient evidence’ on CBT, GET and Pacing with a survey of how the people with ME/CFS now view the PACE trial results.

Which is why we are asking about the PACE trial and NICE guideline on ME/CFS in this month’s MEA website survey…..

Cheesus

I also note that there is only 627 votes so far, surely making it only a vocal minority who have expressed their opinion on this?

Which is particularly unusual, given that a ubiquitous characteristic of any silent majority is their propensity to turnout at the polling station.