• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is this too much B12 per day?

Hi Everyone!

I've been having more consistent energy since I began taking regular B12. I started off with small amounts and have worked my way up to the following:

* Dibencozide (Source Naturals CoEnzymated B12): 1/2 tablet = 5mg dibencozide/4.3 mg B12
AND
* Perque Activated B12 Guard: 1/2 tablet = 1,000 mcg

I grind the two forms of B12 together and daily take the above amounts. I've been consistently taking the B12 mixture for almost a year, now.

Is this too much? I read a study a few months ago that seemed to say too much B12 is actually harmful (can't remember what it said..something about cell proliferation?).

Thanks!

Love,

Wendi

Is this too much? I read a study a few months ago that seemed to say too much B12 is actually harmful (can't remember what it said..something about cell proliferation?).
My general understanding is that too much folate can cause problems, but only if there is already a cancer present. Basically it feeds the cancer cells just like it does the normal cells. I'm not sure that B12 can do the same thing.

This isn't the study I read, but it's similar...seeming to say too much B12 can actually be harmful?

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2013/11/11/jnci.djt315.full
I think they're just saying that elevated B12, in the absence of supplementation, can be an indication that someone has cancer. There's no indication that the elevated B12 causes the cancer, and it's very unlikely that it did since people were excluded from the study if they were supplementing.

I think they're just saying that elevated B12, in the absence of supplementation, can be an indication that someone has cancer. There's no indication that the elevated B12 causes the cancer, and it's very unlikely that it did since people were excluded from the study if they were supplementing.

Oh! Thanks, Valentijn!!! <3

So, the amount I'm taking isn't considered too much, then? I searched the forums and didn't see an area where anyone agreed on the amount to use for supplementing (especially the forms of B12 I'm taking).