• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Practical ways of looking nice

hellytheelephant

@slysaint- just to do a fashion update: I have found a pair of yoga pants from M & S which I love, don't crease and actually look quite like black trousers. I bought two pairs with one in the cupboard for 'best'. I wear these with black thermal leggings underneath. I have given up on jeans unless they are baggy, as the waist band presses on the part of my lower back/ pubic area too much.

I have recently discovered the joys of infinity scarves..and so am slowly converting all my normal scarves. The big advantage being that I can wear them lying down, without the danger of nearly strangling myself!

Totally agree but you have to have the energy for a lot of browsing...
I tend to only go to the local shop (more of a social outing for me than anything - sad), and only really look at the 'sale rail'. There is one other shop I go to occasionally but again just make a b-line for the reduced rail. Never try anything on in the shop. So not a lot of 'browsing'.

IreneF

Just revisiting this thread--I've been getting lingerie from Europe (I'm in the USA). The exchange rate is good for us stateside, and the Europeans have a wider range of sizes. I've ordered from
http://www.waescheshoppy.de/
a few times. You can switch languages, but there are more products listed in German than English. I use google translate quite a bit. Damen = women, BH = bra, slip = underpants.

If anyone knows a place for colorful wool tights, I'd like to know about it.

I can't see well enough w/out glasses to put on makeup, except for lipstick. I've been investing in skin care, tho., mostly from Paula's Choice. The AHA & BHA products really work, but they can be irritating. I got rid of a blackhead that had been bothering me for years. She has terrific, non-irritating sunscreens. I can use the mineral sunscreen on my eyelids!

I've always taken a uniform approach to dressing, which I've switched up every few years. Right before I got sick my look was dark boot cut jeans, a tank top worn under a cashmere vneck or cardigan and a big, flowy scarf.with fancy socks and fancy flats --like black patent leather. I used to be wild about the latest handbags and tended toward big ones like the Marc Jacobs Stella.

Since becoming a shut in I wear yoga pants or leggings, tank tops (I usually wear two, layered) and a flowy knit jacket or cardigan. Oh, and Uggs! I would not wear them on city streets but they are cozy around the house.

I miss eyeliner and mascara now -- they irritate my eyes too much but I slather on a lot of mosturizer day and night, use Tarte sugar on my lips and wear silver jewelry with semi-precious gems that I bought on trips to Mexico when I was well. Polishing silver jewelry is one of those gentle satisfying tasks I find I can do on good days without crashing. :p

I have long curly hair that I wear natural and twist up into an updo in combs on most days. When I have a lot of energy I flatiron it an it looks long and great. When I'm at my worst and feeling sick, awful and less than human, a few simple things boost my spirits. I leave out a necklace, earrings and lipgloss and slap them on as soon as I've woken up and brushed my teeth. Not a cure, but a balm of sorts. I paint my nails once a week, something I've always done so it's comforting to keep up the ritual.

hellytheelephant

This is such a good thread- and it's good to get tips from others. @KristenSF I feel your pain about not being able to wear eye makeup- my face won't tolerate anything other than lipstick, so I tend to go for a bold and cheery shade. I keep meaning to buy Uggs but the price puts me off...
The best thing I have bought clothes wise is my thermal tops and leggings which I wear pretty much year round. Once I discovered that the cold flared up pain it was a no brainer, and actually they look quite cool- a bit like base layers for ski ing or walking. I have also got fluffy thermal socks which work brilliantly. I have been known to wear my beany in the house when it's chilly.

I love to do nails but I have realised that a softer shade is better, so if I am clumsy it won't be a disaster.

IreneF

Just to add to my post above--I was never into fancy lingerie or lots of makeup, but I was starting to buy more clothes when I got sick. It helped that my daughter was working retail. After a while I stopped getting dressed and lived in sweats and PJs. My husband encouraged me to buy some clothes. Then my daughter got married, and I blew a bunch of money on makeup for the wedding.

I've always had a hard time with bras because I'm an A cup. I've gained a ton of weight and now I'm fat, and still an A cup, which makes it hard to find a bra.

I found some pairs of old reading glasses. I think we've got some tiny hex lenses I can use to unscrew one lens from two of them, so I can have makeshift makeup glasses. We'll see how that works out.

hellytheelephant

Hi @IreneF - I have exactly the same problem with bras- A cup but have put on weight. I don't wear one at the moment because of pain but I was thinking of getting a sports bra for special occasions!

I am still experimenting with my new figure ( had hoped if I ever got curves it would be more Marilyn Monroe and less Jabba the Hutt, but I digress...) I buy cheap things on ebay and have got some relaly good stuff. i tend to go for supermarket brands that I know are good quality but are cheaper than high street shops. I have got some good scarves and tops this way.

erin

I can only share items in terms of comfort and practicality. I forgot what is smart and stylish.

I find Maine New England jeggins really comfy. They are strechy on the belt no zipping. So easy to go to the loo (often in my case). Looks ok and strechy. Navy, light blue and black colours.

I only wear Clarins HydraQuench Tinted Moisturizer. Its' light and comes off easy.

I can't wear mascara. My lashes darkish but not so significant. Recently I used Jolen creme bleach for sensitive skin and lightened my eyebrows very slighty. I kept it less than what's required. It was OK I didn't have a allergic reaction. Tweezers hurt so much and I actually get worse rash after using tweezers. So, my face looks a bit brighter and eye lashes look a bit darker now, like I have a mascara. This actually lasts for a long time, low maintenance.

I wear long padded anoracky type coats, black. They are not so thick avoiding teddy bear look.

My biggest problem is foot wear. I like Ecco but so expensive. I wear all sort of clog type stuff looks awful. I have one pair of School sandals, they are beautiful and comfy, gave me a little hight. But they were expensive. Good comfy shoes are to expensive.

Last edited:

IreneF

Hi, @IreneF (and @hellytheelephant), I wonder if lulalu.com would have something for you. Their A-cup sizes run from 30A to 38A. The prices are on the high side but I find the quality is very good.
I used to shop at Lula Lu! I think I am too fat now. I got some German bras (see above) but they are already starting to stretch out. I just got more bras in 38B from Figleaves UK. I use an extender with them. Chantelle fits pretty well--wearing one now.

IreneF

I can only share items in terms of comfort and practicality. I forgot what is smart and stylish.

I find Maine New England jeggins really comfy. They are strechy on the belt no zipping. So easy to go to the loo (often in my case). Looks ok and strechy. Navy, light blue and black colours.

I only wear Clarins HydraQuench Tinted Moisturizer. Its' light and comes off easy.

I can't wear mascara. My lashes darkish but not so significant. Recently I used Jolen creme bleach for sensitive skin and lightened my eyebrows very slighty. I kept it less than what's required. It was OK I didn't have a allergic reaction. Tweezers hurt so much and I actually get worse rash after using tweezers. So, my face looks a bit brighter and eye lashes look a bit darker now, like I have a mascara. This actually lasts for a long time, low maintenance.

I wear long padded anoracky type coats, black. They are not so thick avoiding teddy bear look.

My biggest problem is foot wear. I like Ecco but so expensive. I wear all sort of clog type stuff looks awful. I have one pair of School sandals, they are beautiful and comfy, gave me a little hight. But they were expensive. Good comfy shoes are to expensive.
I don't know if you are in the US, but I've gotten good comfy shoes for cheap from 6pm.com. They often carry Aravon and Clark's. I think they are kind of ugly but my husband likes them. Last time I looked they had a lot of sandals--past season, obviously.

hellytheelephant

@IreneF 6pm.com is so inexpensive!! Clarke's are my favourites, as they do a style which has cushioning inside- so super comfy. The last pair I bought were £55 which was much more than I like to spend, but I have worn them constantly for the last two years, and they still look good.

@Carola -what style of bra do you find is the most comfortable? I am wondering about tracking down a good sports bra....though not as pretty as the ones on Lulalu.

erin

I don't know if you are in the US, but I've gotten good comfy shoes for cheap from 6pm.com. They often carry Aravon and Clark's. I think they are kind of ugly but my husband likes them. Last time I looked they had a lot of sandals--past season, obviously.

I am not in the US. There's Clark's in the UK but cheap either. I remember many years ago before getting ME I had a bad experience with Clark's shoes. I never went back there after. I should try again.

hellytheelephant

Hi- as a bit of light relief from politics and the difficulties of managing this illness,just thought I would introduce a new variant of 'how to look nice' - so my question is: long hair or short hair?

A few weeks ago utterly frustrated with the difficulties of washing/drying my hair, I cut it from just above shoulder length into a really short bob. It doesn't look great, although it is easy to dry, and it gets greasy v quickly. If I have it longer then it is more difficult to manage but looks better and needs washing less often.I am allergic to pretty much everything, so have not tried dry shampoo.

Do you have longer or short hair? Any bright ideas for how to keep hair tied up when you are lying down ( and therefore would be lying on a pony tail)

erin

I have it shoulder length, I wear pig tails behind my ears when I'm lying. It doesn't look nice. It looks silly at my age. I don't care really.
I had a really short cut in May and I loved it. It was handy for the summer heat and it would dry itself nicely. I feel I'd be cold and hair dryer will make it all freezy and puffed up. So I'm leaving it shoulder length until summer.

Jenny TipsforME

@hellytheelephant long hair or short hair?
Definitely long with this cut:
for medium to long hair there's a 1 snip haircut technique that creates layers. I do it on myself. On my hair it is also easy to make it wavy with this cut. again takes 2 mins see https://tipsforme.wordpress.com/2015/03/04/resource-easy-haircare-for-the-chronically-ill/ BTW this post includes homemade shampoo I don't use anymore. I use Roots and Wings shampoo now (mostly organic). it costs more than id like but I don't go to the hairdressers or buy conditioner.

If severe, wear hair in plait between washes and use a vinegar rinse to prevent tangles.

Short hair actually requires more effort.

A few other tips I've picked up (please bear in mind I'm suggesting these while wearing pyjamas with multiple over-worn holes and bags under my eyes!):

- Marielle bras 4 for £7.99, yes less than £2 each
so much more comfortable than wired bras. They are completely seamless and contain no wires, just a 4-way stretch fabric. They are ideal to sleep and rest in. I think they are slightly less flattering than a standard bra to wear out, but that may depend on your figure. I noticed one reviewer wore one at a time in the house and two (for extra support) when she goes out. Also, check the size guide before ordering as they aren’t in standard bra sizes.
- teas to dye hair. not as dramatic as shop bought but they do work. eg make strong hibiscus tea and dip hair in it or spray on after washing. only takes a couple of minutes
- leaving some olive/coconut oil in hair a few hours before washing is good conditioner
- support tights and spanx help my appearance and POTS
- stretchy cotton dresses can adapt to all seasons. as comfy as pyjamas but people read someone in a dress as someone who has made an effort! I like to buy Pepperberry "worn once" from ebay=bargains
- a necklace is also seen as making an effort
- makeup is trickier. I've played with making my own from food: https://tipsforme.wordpress.com/2015/04/21/resource-tinted-moisturiser/
- I've noticed that powder makeup I don't react to is easier to find but it makes me look older. latest trick is making liquid makeup by mixing powder makeup with Aveeno Cream which I can tolerate even on eyes
- TBH I'm hardly ever well enough to go out wearing makeup, so I get samples to save money eg from Naturissimo (eg £1 a sample)
- I'm taking advantage that people don't really see me to practice makeup tutorials on YouTube. I have a fantasy of emerging as a glamorous butterfly from the cocoon!

Last edited: