• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More Evidence that a Sufficient Calorie-Keto Diet can help with Mito Function

Crux

I've been on a ketogenic diet for 10 wks. now.
Since there are many neurologic benefits, it's worth the dietary restrictions.
Many people report increased energy with it.

Adaptation has been slow, but that happens with folks who are ill.
Progress is happening.

Thought I would mention that many with migraines have less of them with keto, but still get them sometimes.
Migraine is associated with increased production of nitric oxide by the body and by microbes.
To rid my own migraines, I took rifaximin, which lowered the microbial overgrowth.

The keto diet may also lower microbial overgrowth because carbs. are a good growth factor for them.

cman89

I've been on a ketogenic diet for 10 wks. now.
Since there are many neurologic benefits, it's worth the dietary restrictions.
Many people report increased energy with it.

Adaptation has been slow, but that happens with folks who are ill.
Progress is happening.

Thought I would mention that many with migraines have less of them with keto, but still get them sometimes.
Migraine is associated with increased production of nitric oxide by the body and by microbes.
To rid my own migraines, I took rifaximin, which lowered the microbial overgrowth.

The keto diet may also lower microbial overgrowth because carbs. are a good growth factor for them.
I have heard of the nitic oxide connection. I know I have a sensitivity to Beets that I used to not have. Have you heard of nay pro biotic ways to go about attempting to address this?

Crux

I have heard of the nitic oxide connection. I know I have a sensitivity to Beets that I used to not have. Have you heard of nay pro biotic ways to go about attempting to address this?

Unfortunately, many probiotics produce nitric oxide, especially the Lactobacillus ones.

Hopefully, the keto diet alone will reduce the inflammation and the unnecessary microbes enough to stop the migraines and tremors.

cman89

Unfortunately, many probiotics produce nitric oxide, especially the Lactobacillus ones.

Hopefully, the keto diet alone will reduce the inflammation and the unnecessary microbes enough to stop the migraines and tremors.
Its already doing so. I think I made a mistake after my gastro bout in India by taking too many probiotics right away, rather than waiting a bit until things settled down. This probably threw a wrench in the Gut microbiota situation. The keto diet is both to control my current symptoms, and to reduce ferementing substrates for potentially harmful gut bacteria until I can get things more in line with how they should be in health. I think im inching that way.

ryan31337

I've been on a keto diet (approx. 30g carbs p/day) for a month now. The improvement I experienced was incredible and immediate, I was physically weak for a few days during 'keto-flu' but even then still felt better than before in every other way. So many symptoms & issues caused by fluctuating blood glucose gone in a matter of days.

The reason for me starting it was reactive hypoglycemia diagnosed by an endo, which had slowly become more significant. I appreciate not everyone will have such a response, but it does make me wonder when you see threads on how much better people are when fasting, how much worse they after eating etc...

cman89

I've been on a keto diet (approx. 30g carbs p/day) for a month now. The improvement I experienced was incredible and immediate, I was physically weak for a few days during 'keto-flu' but even then still felt better than before in every other way. So many symptoms & issues caused by fluctuating blood glucose gone in a matter of days.

The reason for me starting it was reactive hypoglycemia diagnosed by an endo, which had slowly become more significant. I appreciate not everyone will have such a response, but it does make me wonder when you see threads on how much better people are when fasting, how much worse they after eating etc...
I am using it to stabilize some symptoms while I try to address some other issues, namely gut stuff and possible immune/metal issues. I was having migraine and tremor before I switched, but I am going to stick with it in the short term because of its ability to take a few things off my plate and keep Insulin stable. I doubt I will end up doing strict Keto long term, as I probably need a more cyclical carb approach, but for providing a base for healing, it really can be a good way to go. I am currently in the low carb flu section of adaptation, so not feeling super gung ho, but that should pass.

cman89

I am using it to stabilize some symptoms while I try to address some other issues, namely gut stuff and possible immune/metal issues. I was having migraine and tremor before I switched, but I am going to stick with it in the short term because of its ability to take a few things off my plate and keep Insulin stable. I doubt I will end up doing strict Keto long term, as I probably need a more cyclical carb approach, but for providing a base for healing, it really can be a good way to go. I am currently in the low carb flu section of adaptation, so not feeling super gung ho, but that should pass.
Problem with me though, is I cant afford to lose any weight, so getting enough calories has been difficult in some ways.

ryan31337

Good luck, hope you get through the other side quick :)

I was having migraine every few days before starting, i've only had 2x in the past month on keto and they were due to serious sleep/meal disruption on long haul flights. I think I'd do the diet for that alone!

I've dropped 4kg of spare tyre that had developed recently, but I shouldn't lose much more though so if you have any good tips I'm all ears. My current goto are macadamia nuts and lots of mayonnaise with everything :rofl:

cman89

Good luck, hope you get through the other side quick :)

I was having migraine every few days before starting, i've only had 2x in the past month on keto and they were due to serious sleep/meal disruption on long haul flights. I think I'd do the diet for that alone!

I've dropped 4kg of spare tyre that had developed recently, but I shouldn't lose much more though so if you have any good tips I'm all ears. My current goto are macadamia nuts and lots of mayonnaise with everything :rofl:
Im already starting to have doubts, though I admit im not a patient person. How long did it take you to keto adapt? And what kind of activity can you sustain at this point? (Its always hard to tell on this forum)

Crux

If you all can handle dairy, they can be good for weight gain. Nuts too.

I don't want to lose anymore, but body recomposition would be good.

For the record, I had the keto flu for more than 6 wks. tmi ? It may take the full 3-6 mths. for me to fully adapt.
It does get better; I'm on the treadmill for 2 miles, no pem, most days of the week.

It's a good idea to track macronutrients - too easy to not have enough calories.
Keto experts emphasize that people should have extra sodium, potassium, and magnesium.

ryan31337

The keto flu for me was the feeling of starvation essentially. Very weak muscles, to the point of finding it taxing keeping my arms above my head to shower. Lots of carb craving and hunger, inhuman amounts of peeing and muscle twitching that I associate with that. I doubled my dose of daily electrolytes to try and counter & I was feeling way better after 4-5 days of it.

Energy/cognition wasn't a big problem, but then I was such a zombie before starting from the fluctuating blood glucose/insulin that I think anything was an improvement. Before I would just crash and have to eat & sleep every 1-2 hours during the day, regardless of activity. Those swings triggered a lot of other unpleasant stuff like migraine, hot/cold sweats, limb weakness/numbness, OI, insomnia etc. Not fun.

Now I am getting back to how I was before the crash that gradually snowballed 18 months ago, much more like mild ME again. I have been going to work whole afternoons at my office job, or driving around doing chores/shopping without being reduced to mush half way through. I can actually do enough activity now to give myself PEM, whereas before starting the diet I would be destroyed by the blood glucose/OI problems before being able to exert enough. It was an oddly positive feeling when I pushed myself a bit again and felt that familiar PEM the next day, it made it clear just how unwell I had become!

cman89

The keto flu for me was the feeling of starvation essentially. Very weak muscles, to the point of finding it taxing keeping my arms above my head to shower. Lots of carb craving and hunger, inhuman amounts of peeing and muscle twitching that I associate with that. I doubled my dose of daily electrolytes to try and counter & I was feeling way better after 4-5 days of it.

Energy/cognition wasn't a big problem, but then I was such a zombie before starting from the fluctuating blood glucose/insulin that I think anything was an improvement. Before I would just crash and have to eat & sleep every 1-2 hours during the day, regardless of activity. Those swings triggered a lot of other unpleasant stuff like migraine, hot/cold sweats, limb weakness/numbness, OI, insomnia etc. Not fun.

Now I am getting back to how I was before the crash that gradually snowballed 18 months ago, much more like mild ME again. I have been going to work whole afternoons at my office job, or driving around doing chores/shopping without being reduced to mush half way through. I can actually do enough activity now to give myself PEM, whereas before starting the diet I would be destroyed by the blood glucose/OI problems before being able to exert enough. It was an oddly positive feeling when I pushed myself a bit again and felt that familiar PEM the next day, it made it clear just how unwell I had become!
Interesting. See, I feel more brain foggy on the diet than I do when fasting, so I am not sure if its keto flu or what, but "on-diet" I dont feel too starved, just sluggish. I feel more stable though, especially with the headaches I was having being reduced greatly. Thats my main motivator for ataying on this thing right now.