• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The real story about chronic fatigue syndrome

Kyla

ᴀɴɴɪᴇ ɢꜱᴀᴍᴩᴇʟ
http://garnetnews.com/2016/10/19/real-story-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

another great article written by Maureen Hanson.
Has a comment section if you want to thank her.

excerpt:
THE REAL STORY ABOUT CHRONIC FATIGUE SYNDROME

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is an illness that many may have heard of, but few, in reality, know much about.

The misconception of the seriousness of the disease is in part caused by the use of the name Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS), coined in 1988 by a committee convened at the Centers for Disease Control. Prior to that recommendation, the disease was known by the more intimidating name Myalgic Encephalomyelitis (ME), which is favored by many patients and still used in many countries overseas. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome trivializes the nature of the disease and its impact on the lives of the people who suffer with it.

The name influences not only the public’s conception of the disease but also that of medical professionals. As a point, in fact, College students and medical trainees who were given identical scenarios were more likely to consider patients described as having myalgic encephalopathy as having a biomedical illness, while patients labeled as having chronic fatigue syndrome were more likely to be thought to be psychiatric cases...

taniaaust1

thanks such a great article and something those advocating could could consider more - how we can get good photos of ME used more when places are going to be publishing about our research. It is a huge issue we are having which is helping to play down articles on our research.

hellytheelephant

Great article -thanks for sharing.I have left a comment.

Regarding whether the term Chronic fatigue should be used, My understanding is that all neurological conditions ( eg Parkinsons, stroke, ms etc) cause people to be excessively fatigued. 'CFS' perpetuates the idea that the main thing we suffer from is feeling sleepy (ironic as many of us have insomnia/sleep disturbance!:bang-head:

I have often wondered if PR could build up a library of photos of us sick folk that agencies could use...