• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME-conference in Sweden with English-speaking lecturers Wed Oct 19th, available for streaming

If you're interested in Jo Cambridge's personal opinions about Rituximab and people's attitude towards her research etc, make sure to keep listening when they take a break in the afternoon, after Julin's second presentation, before Ewa W-W's presentation.

(If they haven't edited that part out. I don't think she was aware that the mic was still on..!)
Great tip! Thanks so much for posting about this Mango. There is a really interesting snippet right immediately before that as well, where she says that they are seeing higher use of glycolysis in naive B cells in patients (4.06.25) and they are just working that up now. Could that tie in with the paper just out from Stanford re: levels of ATP I wonder?

Rooney

If you're interested in Jo Cambridge's personal opinions about Rituximab and people's attitude towards her research etc, make sure to keep listening when they take a break in the afternoon, after Julin's second presentation, before Ewa W-W's presentation.

(If they haven't edited that part out. I don't think she was aware that the mic was still on..!)
At 4:07 of the recording:
She speaks about how ignorant physicians are about the drug regarding risks. She's written 40 papers about the side effects. Why withhold this from us - use it off-label. Cancer patients can get smacked (my words) around by their drugs and ethics aren't involved for them. She seems so frustrated at the lack of care for us (isn't she wonderful)!

She is a fab. presenter for the layman.

me/cfs 27931

Lucinda Bateman, in reviewing the IOM Report, emphasized "functional impairment" in ME/CFS/SEID patients. She emphasized this symptom to clinicians.

Starting around 57:00:
  • "Debilitating loss of function, not just fatigue."
  • "With functional impairment being the emphasis."
  • "Clinicians should explore the impact of illness on occupational, educational, social and personal activities."
  • "There is nothing else really like this."
  • "It should be the primary responsibility of the physician to ask the question why the patient is unable to function."
Loss of function is something that, in my experience, clinicians do not grasp or appreciate. Perhaps if they did, patients might get treated a bit better, and more importantly, not have to wait years for diagnosis.

I just watched Jo Cambridge, this was a really excellent talk she gave and interesting with new information as well.
Yes, one off the best talks I've watched.
It seems like there is quite a bit going on.
A couple of items in particular caught my attention:

The attempts to associate symptoms with a cause ( antibodies ?)
The mention of new work associating POTS with antibodies. ( Fedorowski - a paper was mentioned but I couldn't find it, also another one due I think )

You get the impression this is all headed in the right direction, and Jo Cambridge knows exactly what she is doing and needs to do.

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
I had to cringe at the doctor who didnt even know that MS was a b-cell disease