• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

herbal protocols for Lyme -- effective?

el_squared

Hi all,
So after many years of declining health (have fibro, CFS, Celiac diagnoses), I was recently diagnosed with Lyme by a functional medicine MD.

I did two different tests: the blood test by American Laboratory Services, and one by Igenex. (Also, I was dx'd with bartonella on the Igenex test).

So given my history of declining health, and especially some neurological problems over the past year (big uncontrollable movements of arms, legs), I''m inclined to believe this diagnosis is correct.

The doctor has suggested doing some sort of "herbal protocol" for treatment. So, I'm wondering, has anyone had luck with herbs to treat Lyme? Or bad experiences. Would love to hear your thoughts.

thanks!
Laura

PeterPositive

Hi,
you will probably need to be more specific and describe what the protocol is made of? Which herbs, dosages etc...

cheers

el_squared

I actually don't know what it would be other than herbal. The doc suggested that I read about the doctors who have created herbal protocols and then I'll see her in six weeks and she'll chart a plan.

The doctor has suggested doing some sort of "herbal protocol" for treatment. So, I'm wondering, has anyone had luck with herbs to treat Lyme? Or bad experiences. Would love to hear your thoughts.
They've never been shown to be effective in human beings. Only in petri dishes, which doesn't count for a helluva lot.

If you want to kill bacteria, proven antibiotics are probably a better option.

Dufresne

almost there...
Judging from my experience, I don't think herbs alone are enough to get one well from Lyme and co when they also have ME/CFS. This is just my take on things, however this is also informed by years of experience on these forums. I can't recall anyone who also meets an ME/CFS diagnosis doing exceptionally well on just herbs.

There's certainly a place for them, but I wouldn't leave the pharmaceuticals out. My philosophy has always been: throw everything and the kitchen sink at them, and then stick with whatever you feel is working; always use combination therapy; and rotate your killers from time to time. Then there's all the other adjuncts... There's so much to it. And this is exactly why mainstream medicine can't wrap its head around the issue.

el_squared

Sorry for the delay but thanks for your input.

I am supposed to meet with the Lyme MD next month and embark on some sort of treatment and as I said, she suggested herbs, but that could be because I have spoken of having taken a lot of antibiotics in the past (for sinus infections, etc.).

So I just gave the information about the tests and diagnosis to my practitioner at the Stanford CFS clinic, and the nurse warned against me getting treatment. They don't believe in the tests I took (see above). It's so frustrating. I don't know what to do.

Matt_C

They've never been shown to be effective in human beings. Only in petri dishes, which doesn't count for a helluva lot.

If you want to kill bacteria, proven antibiotics are probably a better option.

This s not at all what i've been learning. A lo of people do really well on herbs, as have I.