• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Great news on Dr Nigel Speight - GMC drops restrictions

Chrisb

This is clearly very good news for Dr Speight and for the ME community in general.

It does however appear to be less good news for the GMC. To the interested observer it would appear that prior to a full hearing it has been established that there is no case to answer. There is insufficient evidence even to attempt to argue the case at a full hearing.

One can easily see the need for immediate interim suspension in cases where risk to patient health outweighs all other considerations. In this case it is extremely difficult to see what risk might have been posed by Dr Speight to warrant suspension for the length of time involved.

In cases where there is no immediate and pressing risk to patient health it might reasonably be expected that the evidence would be of a certain standard before proceedings are commenced

Cheshire

More info on the ME Association web site:

The barrister also emphasised how these GMC restrictions had led to the ME community being ‘deprived of choice’. The charities he supports (including the MEA) had not been able to find a replacement for him and so there is no one to support families in contentious cases involving children and adolescents, as no other doctor wishes to ‘put their head above the parapet’.

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-the-general-medical-council-12-october-2016/

Countrygirl

I have just removed this post which I found on FB as I have heard from NS who has just sent me a copy of the statement. Accompanying the statement, given the context, I suspect it is solely for those who wrote letters of support as NS says it is not for general dissemination.
Sorry folks!

Last edited:

Jo Best

Large Donner

@charles shepherd

There is some true surrealism here. Nigel Speight is pediatric adviser to the ME Association. No patient has had an issue with him, yet he gets reported maliciously by another doctor to the GMC. The GMC suspend him thereby tarnishing his reputation affecting his ability to practice and potentially affecting him financially. Some doctors who have had this happen to them never recover financially. Its adjudicated there there is zero case to answer.

The person who reported him appears to work in the same field and is so controversial its untrue and has numerous parents of patients reporting actual harm to their children. That same person runs controversial trials and seems to have no idea how do define the illness and makes spurious claims about the efficacy and effectiveness of her treatments.

She is in a joint venture with the CMRC with which includes participation from the medical adviser to the ME Association (Charles Shepherd) who works closely with Dr Speight and values him most highly. She is causing alot of concern due to her proposed involvement in a new trail MEGA and her ongoing attitudes to ME and dubious statements.

Charles Shepherd has had to sign something practically amounting to a gagging order to be allowed to participate in the CMRC which seems like it shoe horns people into unconditionally having to support other members regardless of their suitability.

There is something which is called in the public interest which trumps all other agreements or contracts especially when there is serious concern about someones abilities and motives.

She needs to face the same level of enquiry that Nigel Speight just had to endure. Its just farcical that the ME Association can continue to work with her in a collaboration and still be able to look Nigel Speight in the eye as their peadiatric adviser after her malicious complaint that proved to have zero foundation.

How the hell can we have this gagging order arrangement on unconditional support for other CMRC members whilst this woman goes of and maliciously reports the pediatric advisory of the ME association who are a member of the collaborative and absolutely NOTHING happens to her to affect her position in the CMRC?