• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coyne: What should be done about the MEGA (ME/CFS Epidemiology and Genetics Alliance) project?

At the outset, I should note that Professor George Davey Smith has key responsibility for the genomics section of this complex project. I have the greatest respect for his intellect and intellectual integrity. I have learned immensely from him.
However, I have serious concerns about other personnel involved in this project in terms of their recent conduct as physicians and scientists. Among other issues, the nature of their role in the project needs to be clarified. Conditions need to be in place that they will not use their role to inflict further abuse and bad science on the patient and scientific communities. Other personnel must step in and demonstrate that patients have an appropriate role in the design, implementation, and interpretation of the data published in peer-reviewed journals in a timely fashion. Patients should be heard, welcomed to high-level participation in research, and not just used.

https://jcoynester.wordpress.com/20...etics-alliance-project-concerns-and-response/

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Not quite sure why he feels the need to host the debate. Does he answer the question posed in his title, or just post a couple of comments against and for?

Some clear inaccuracies are circulating

Well tell us what they are then.

Only if I try to give my wife a hug as, obviously, she is a giant hedgehog also
Its awfully unsettling when folks keep transfiguring like this. You see, on one level I really do think of you all as your avatars. I like the idea of you knitting for the cause, wearing Kiefer's face so bravely!

And I am actually a sheep with a smug grin.

worldbackwards

Its awfully unsettling when folks keep transfiguring like this. You see, on one level I really do think of you all as your avatars. I like the idea of you knitting for the cause, wearing Kiefer's face so bravely!

And I am actually a sheep with a smug grin.
Got unnerved for a moment at the idea of a giant hedgehog with Kiefer's face.