• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Cheryl "beaker"

Doogle

Cheryl, who used the name "beaker" on this website passed away early October 2016. She was ill for 30 years with this damn disease until she succumbed from pancreatic cancer. She was the one of the sweetest beings around and would help others even though her illness was severe enough she was mostly housebound or bed-bound. Animals in need seemed to know where she lived, and somehow migrated to her home. She took in a multitude of stray or lost animals and cared for them until she found them good homes. Many of her friends were online as her illness kept her isolated mainly at home. If you need more specifics or know of other groups she participated in, please PM me so I can notify those that might want to know about Cheryl. Thanks.

Gingergrrl

@Doogle, I am so very sorry to hear of this sad news. I did not know Cheryl "Beaker" on a personal level but remember interacting with her in many threads and she was always very kind and supportive. Thank you for letting us know about the incredible commitment she had to nurturing stray animals and finding them homes.

May she never suffer again and may her memory be a blessing to you and all of the lives she touched (human and animal). :angel::angel::angel: :dog::cat::fish:

Last edited:

Countrygirl

I am so sad to hear of her passing..............yet another one of our community. There have been so many this year! Bless her for her care and compassion for animals............despite her own suffering she was still able to reach out to others. So sad.

Thanks for letting us know @Doogle

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
So sorry to hear this sad news, and sorry not to have known that Cheryl was suffering from cancer as well as ME. Sounds like she did a lot of good in the world, despite being so ill herself.
Thinking of her friends and family.

*GG*

Oh no :(:cry:

Cheryl was part of the family and yet, I wasn't aware she was battling with cancer on top of ME. :( So very sad.

May your spirit soar free, Cheryl.

Yes, I remember her Profile photo of the Cartoon Beaker, don't think it was this one, but you get the idea. Sadly I ddin't realize she had not been on in months. Pancreatic cancer is very deadly :(, perhaps she saw no use in sharing that info.

Hope she got some compassion and empathy with the Cancer diagnosis, some of us say we would rather have the Big C, because Society has come to help these people out a lot more than we get!

GG

Attachments

• beaker honey dew460.jpg
    beaker honey dew460.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 10

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So sad when we only learn such wonderful things about a member once they have left us:​
She returned to Batavia in 1987 when she suddenly became ill with what was eventually diagnosed as ME/CFIDS. As she struggled with the challenges of ME/CFIDS in the following years, she also fought to help others, encouraging and supporting many friends, old and new. She was a dedicated advocate for research into the causes and treatments of this illness.

Throughout her life she was a caring and generous friend. She was always there if someone needed support and love; and the one to instigate fun or adventure. Her wit and ability to inject silliness when needed will be long remembered by all of her friends and family.

She was fearless in trying new ventures – whether heading across the country to live in a new city, hopping onto a surfboard or galloping across mountain trails on a horse. She loved California living and had many adventures with her friends there, driving a bright red pick-up truck to the beach, to the mountains or up into wine country....
In lieu of flowers, contributions in memory of Cheryl may be made to Volunteers for Animals, 3841 West Main Street Road, Batavia, NY 14020,http://www.vol4animals.org; or

Solve ME/CFS Initiative, 5455 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 806, Los Angeles, CA 90036,http://solvecfs.org/donate/

To leave a condolence, share a story or light a candle in Cheryl’s memory, please visit www.bataviafuneralhomes.com.