• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cognitive-behavioral therapy with Dr. Jesus

valentinelynx

I've observed patients with faith healing in the pain clinic - no it wasn't done in the clinic, the patient reported it at a follow up visit. It appears to act like a placebo effect - the patient got a real effect that gradually dwindled over a period of a few weeks. (Faith healers might say the patient "lost faith"). I hope this guy didn't have a huge crash in a day or two. Of course, he may have been a plant, a shill.

On the other hand, if I found a real magic healer, I wouldn't say no!

aaron_c

I had a "magic" healing from a Qi Gong teacher that seemed to do something well beyond what my own Qi Gong practice was able to do. As @valentinelynx indicated, it didn't last forever. Maybe...a week or so? And although I felt better I was certainly never 100% better. Maybe...15-30%? It's been a few years and my memory is fuzzy.

While I agree that the method of action is probably similar to or the same as other versions of placebo, I am at least open to the idea that something genuinely happened beyond me tricking myself into a bit better health. I don't think I am one of those people who (genetically in some cases?) are more susceptible to hypnosis and placebo--if anything, I would say I am on the opposite end of the spectrum. From my perspective, that makes my response to the Qi Gong healing that much more impressive.

I don't have a problem with stuff like this being used to treat us. Like psychotherapy, if the right patient finds the right practitioner then something good can happen. Just not "curing ME" good...at least in the vast majority of cases. And when someone does get all the way better there is still the questions of were they just one of the random spontaneous remissions, and did they have ME in the first place?

SilverbladeTE

O M G....

My Mum *was* a "healer", she'd been a nurse until a back injury left her crippled
then a very shocking spiritual experience occurred (shocking, because so odd/unexpected)
after that she really could heal folk by touch, her hands got the most unbelievable warmth when she did

But, she never claimed to "cure" people, or made big deal about it or charged folk for it, was quiet thing she did
and very often she told folk to *go to a doctor*
what she did sure helped, unless you've experienced *real* stuff like that you wouldn't believe it, but she could tell what was wrong with folk with that ability, and saved at least one woman's life, telling her to go to a doctor ASAP and get checked
woman had fastest form of ovarian cancer and if mom hadn't told her to get checked, she'd have been too late to treat.

she could take some of the pain etc form me but sure as heck couldn't cure it, not how such abilities work

if you've REALLY experienced an encounter with "that which lies on the Other Side", you damn well do NOT make money from it, or be a zealot or charlatan
Folk simply have no idea how scary "Good" is, it's NOT "fear through retribution", ugh, hell no, that which we so poorly call "God", is....terrible in it's enlightenment.
terrible because makes ya realize how foolish vain stupid wasteful, self defeating so much of what we Humans do, really is :/
"God" does *NOT* ever punish. Not how it works
You make your own heaven or hell by your own choices.

Encountered absolute Good and absolute Evil....NOT things folk should mess with

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
Folk simply have no idea how scary "Good" is, it's NOT "fear through retribution", ugh, hell no, that which we so poorly call "God", is....terrible in it's enlightenment.
terrible because makes ya realize how foolish vain stupid wasteful, self defeating so much of what we Humans do, really is :/
"God" does *NOT* ever punish. Not how it works
You make your own heaven or hell by your own choices.

Encountered absolute Good and absolute Evil....NOT things folk should mess with

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! ;)

valentinelynx

But, she never claimed to "cure" people, or made big deal about it or charged folk for it, was quiet thing she did
and very often she told folk to *go to a doctor*
what she did sure helped, unless you've experienced *real* stuff like that you wouldn't believe it, but she could tell what was wrong with folk with that ability, and saved at least one woman's life, telling her to go to a doctor ASAP and get checked

This is the sort of genuine healer I'd love to meet. I know such do not advertise, and you will find them out of your good fortune in knowing good people. Your Mum sounds like she was a very special person, and I'm sure she is always with you.

I tend to believe, like @aaron_c that not all "spiritual" hearings are purely placebo. Qi Gong is something that intrigues me.

xrunner

@Glycon
the title of your thread is inaccurate and misleading.

The video is not about CBT and it is not about Jesus Christ, whose title by the way according to Sacred Scripture is not Dr. but Lord.
The video you posted instead is about a charlatan, or false prophets as they're called, fooling people by abusing the name of Jesus.

If you read scripture you would know that there are plenty of warnings about them.
For e.g. Jesus speaking in Mt 7:5 “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravenous wolves.”

Or Paul in 2Cor 12: "And what I do I will continue to do, in order to undermine the claim of those who would like to claim that in their boasted mission they work on the same terms as we do. For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, disguising themselves as apostles of Christ".

SilverbladeTE

This is the sort of genuine healer I'd love to meet. I know such do not advertise, and you will find them out of your good fortune in knowing good people. Your Mum sounds like she was a very special person, and I'm sure she is always with you.

I tend to believe, like @aaron_c that not all "spiritual" hearings are purely placebo. Qi Gong is something that intrigues me.

She was :)

Glycon

World's Most Dangerous Hand Puppet
@Glycon
the title of your thread is inaccurate and misleading.

The video is not about CBT and it is not about Jesus Christ, whose title by the way according to Sacred Scripture is not Dr. but Lord.
The video you posted instead is about a charlatan, or false prophets as they're called, fooling people by abusing the name of Jesus.

Where you see an "inaccurate and misleading" title, I see allusive irony. As would Jesus, I'm sure. ;)

In other words, no one in their right mind would mistake what's happening in the video for "real" faith healing.

("Dr. Jesus" is a reference to what that man says at the end of the video, in case you didn't make it all the way through.)