• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Six strains of XMRV so far!

FernRhizome

This abstract mentions there are now SIX strains of XMRV identified......

'Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus in Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome and Prostate Cancer'
James N. Baraniuk
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep
DOI 10.1007/s11882-010-0106-2

http://www.springerlink.com/content/416lq773u356024x/?p=564983864c6a4af683c2f38786162c61&pi=0

Abstract

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a γ
retrovirus that has been associated with chronic fatigue syndrome
(CFS) and prostate cancer. The search for viral causes of these
syndromes was reignited by the finding that RNase L activity was low
in hereditary prostate cancer and some CFS patients. The six strains
of XMRV that have been sequenced have greater than 99% identity,
indicating a new human infection rather than laboratory contamination.
DNA, RNA, and proteins from XMRV have been detected in 50% to 67% of
CFS patients and in about 3.7% of healthy controls. XMRV infections
could be transmitted to permissive cell lines from CFS plasma,
suggesting the potential for communicable and blood-borne spread of
the virus and potentially CFS. This troubling concept is currently
under intense evaluation. The most important steps now are to
independently confirm the initial findings; develop reliable assays of
biomarkers; and to move on to investigations of XMRV pathophysiology
and treatment in CFS, prostate cancer, and potentially other
virus-related syndromes, if they exist.

hvs

Dr. Baraniuk was the final signatory to the following paper, in which researchers appeared to make a good faith effort to identify biomarkers among CFS and FM patients:
"Urinary electrophoretic profiles from chronic fatigue syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia patients: a pilot study for achieving their normalization," Journal Of Chromatography, B, (Jan. 2005): 43-51.
From the abstract: "Aim of our study was to determine if there were distinct, disease-related patterns of urinary analytes in chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) and chronic fatigue syndrome/fibromyalgia (CFS/FM) compared to normal controls (NC). ...CFS/FM and CFS had significant differences in peaks compared to NC that may be of significance as biomarkers of illnesses."

leelaplay

I know Fern; I thought that info re 6 strains of xmrv, 99% identical, was a gem hidden in there!

I think James Baraniuk is the lead on the spinal tap clinical trial (proteins in the cerebral fluid + brain) that Cort took part in and wrote about. Or more formally, Proteomics of Cerebrospinal Fluid in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

I'm looking forward to the full article to see if he ties xmrv to his work to date.

lansbergen

A chronic fatigue syndrome related proteome in human cerebrospinal fluid

James N Baraniuk1 email, Begona Casado1,2 email, Hilda Maibach1 email, Daniel J Clauw3 email, Lewis K Pannell4,5 email and Sonja Hess S5 email

1 Georgetown University Proteomics Laboratory, Division of Rheumatology, Immunology & Allergy, Room B-105, Lower Level Kober-Cogan Building, Georgetown University, 3800 Reservoir Road, N.W., Washington DC 20007-2197, USA

2 Dipartimento di Biochimica A. Castellani, Universita di Pavia, Italy

3 Center for the Advancement of Clinical Research, The University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, USA

4 Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Facility, Cancer Research Institute, University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL, USA

5 Proteomics and Mass Spectrometry Facility, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland 20892-0508, USA

author email corresponding author email

BMC Neurology 2005, 5:22doi:10.1186/1471-2377-5-22

The electronic version of this article is the complete one and can be found online at: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2377/5/22
Received: 11 April 2005
Accepted: 1 December 2005
Published: 1 December 2005

hvs

The six strains

This is a very significant thing to have stated in a peer-reviewed article.

FernRhizome

Abraxas:
I tried that link and it only brought up the first page.....can we possibly get the entire article? Thanks!!! ~Fern

Abraxas

Hi Fern, yes the preview only shows the first page and I don't have access to the full study. Does anyone else? :Sign Help:

JT1024

I'll be at work this afternoon and I may have access (I work in a hospital and have access to many online journals and resources). Hopefully, I'll be able to access it.

dancer

Could someone please share a few highlights (for those of use newbies who can't access the library)?

I loved this from the first page:

"The new finding of XMRV in CFS must make us pause and
take a fresh look at these frustrated and disillusioned victims of
medical neglect."

K

_Kim_

The free preview of the full text of this study is interesting too, here's the link for a pdf of it:

http://www.springerlink.com/content/416lq773u356024x/fulltext.pdf?page=1

Anyone got full access to it?

I posted the full text in the Library.
Baruniak 2010 - Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus in CFS and Prostate...

Another great line:
Profiteering by offering nonvalidated tests should not be tolerated.
This is who funded the study:
Acknowledgments This work was supported by US Public Health Service Award RO1 ES015382 from the National Institute of Environmental and Health Sciences; Department of Defense Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program W81XWH-07-1-0618; and M01-RR13297 from the General Clinical Research Center Program, National Center for Research Resources, National Institutes of Health.

joyscobby

50%?

Where does the 50% come from in red bellow. The 67% is obviously the Science paper but can any one else clear this up?

'Xenotropic Murine Leukemia Virus-Related Virus in Chronic Fatigue
Syndrome and Prostate Cancer'
James N. Baraniuk
Curr Allergy Asthma Rep
DOI 10.1007/s11882-010-0106-2

http://www.springerlink.com/content/416lq773u356024x/?p=564983864c6a4af683c2f38786162c61&pi=0

Abstract

Xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) is a γ
retrovirus that has been associated with chronic fatigue syndrome
(CFS) and prostate cancer. The search for viral causes of these
syndromes was reignited by the finding that RNase L activity was low
in hereditary prostate cancer and some CFS patients. The six strains
DNA, RNA, and proteins from XMRV have been detected in 50% to 67% of
CFS patients and in about 3.7% of healthy controls. XMRV infections

could be transmitted to permissive cell lines from CFS plasma,
suggesting the potential for communicable and blood-borne spread of
the virus and potentially CFS. This troubling concept is currently
under intense evaluation. The most important steps now are to
independently confirm the initial findings; develop reliable assays of
biomarkers; and to move on to investigations of XMRV pathophysiology
and treatment in CFS, prostate cancer, and potentially other
virus-related syndromes, if they exist.[/QUOTE]

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
Thanks Kim! Did I mention you are a star? :Sign Good Job:

I posted the full text in the Library.

Another great line:
"Profiteering by offering nonvalidated tests should not be tolerated."

With respect to that excellent quote you pulled-out: Here, here!

gracenote

All shall be well . . .
Here is the conclusion of the paper.

Conclusions

Identification of a new retrovirus in CFS and prostate cancer patients and in 3.7% of the healthy American population is an important new finding. Its urgency is apparent from the Department of Health and Human Services [20]; National Cancer Institute [21]; National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institutes Retrovirus Epidemiology Donor Study; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Division of HIV/AIDS Prevention Laboratory, US Food and Drug Administration; and Red Cross taskforces that have been formed to rapidly investigate XMRV. It is critical to develop rapid, reliable tests for biomarkers of XMRV to determine if there is widespread infection of CFS and prostate cancer groups and to assess the safety of the nations blood supply. CFS patients have been advised not to give blood for some time because a potential infectious cause for the syndrome has not been ruled out. Profiteering by offering nonvalidated tests should not be tolerated. It is critical to independently confirm the presence of XMRV as a causative agent in at least a subset of CFS patients, and potentially also in overlapping syndromes such as fibromyalgia and irritable bowel syndrome. This is vital before serious consideration is given to large-scale treatment studies. This is especially true given three polymerase chain reaction and serology studies from Britain and the Netherlands that have failed to verify the original American observations [22, 23, 24]. Reconciliation of these discrepancies will almost surely lead to additional insights into the potential pathophysiological role(s) and difficulties in shown causality for XMRV in CFS, prostate cancer, and other syndromes [25].

K

_Kim_

Thanks Kim! Did I mention you are a star? :Sign Good Job:

With respect to that excellent quote you pulled-out: Here, here!

Aw garcia...I'm no star, just someone who has University Library privileges. Thanks though.

This is fascinating. I've not seen this before. At the end of the reference section, Baruniak lists the van Kuppeveld study (#24) AND adds his own comment. Who knew you could comment on the references you cite?

•• van Kuppeveld FJ, de Jong AS, Lanke KH, Verhaegh GW, Melchers WJG, Swanink CMA, Bleijenberg G, Netea MG, Galama JMD, van der Meer JWM. Prevalence of xenotropic murine leukaemia virus-related virus in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome in the Netherlands: retrospective analysis of samples from an established cohort. British Medical Journal 2010 (Accessed 25 February 2010) •• No evidence of XMRV was found. The absence of XMRV infections in Europe or differences in sample handling may contribute to the negative finding.
And he does the same for this article (#25):

25. •• Voisset C, Weiss RA, Griffiths DJ: Human RNA “rumor” viruses: the search for novel human retroviruses in chronic disease. Microbiol Mol Biol Rev 2008, 72:157–196. This is a cautionary tale of the inference of retroviruses in human disease and the difficulties of proving cause and effect. Will XMRV become another rumor, or be conformed as causing human disease?
I also have posted this one in the Library: Voisset 2008 - Human RNA “Rumor” Viruses: the Search for Novel Human Retroviruses...