• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nutreval testing crazy issues

Good afternoon,

I was wondering if you guys might be able to offer your opinions on what I need to start first. I had been having issues with my digestive system- pain and diarrhea.

I am off of all vitamins and no pills. I have been taking a bit of magnesium because I think I might have oxalate issues or sulfur issues. If I take vitamin b6 my eyes burn. I had issues when my doc put me on a methylation problems when I was taking lots of other things. I ended up massively over methylated, having panic attacks, everything hurt, and insomnia. So where to begin?

My hair has started falling out but I have never had any bad results form tests on my thyroid. Those were from a naturalpath doc.I included my genome report too.

Thank you so much for any help.

Attachments

• nutreval11.pdf
    749.6 KB · Views: 26
  • nutreval2.pdf
    929.8 KB · Views: 15
  • nutreval3.pdf
    432.7 KB · Views: 15
  • MTHFRSupport_Variant_Report_v2.4-genome_Monica_w_v4_Full_20160906051339.zip.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@monica871 - I would start with your digestion because if you're not absorbing food and nutrients properly, supplements won't help you. Obviously pain and diarrhea indicate a problem and it could be due to several things. Have you taken antibiotics lately? They're notorious for depleting gut flora and causing imbalances. Your Nutreval report recommends taking probiotics and I would start there. Several months ago I had a problem with chronic diarrhea and the probiotics didn't help me; however, kefir from Trader Joe's worked like magic, within a week I was much better. We're all different and it will probably take some experimenting for you to figure out what's going on. Did your doctor do any testing on your gut to try to find the problem?

Your gut issues could be due to SIBO (small intestinal bacteria overgrowth) which is very common with ME/CFS. It's often due to low stomach acid; low stomach acid can cause imbalances in gut bacteria. One way to check for low stomach acid is the baking soda burp test:
On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is most likely low.

Also, have you tried cutting out gluten and common allergens like wheat and dairy? these can wreak havoc with the digestive tract. You can do testing for these issues or you can just try cutting them out and see how you do.

I had great help from my chiropractor who does muscle testing - he was able to help me with several digestive issues, including low stomach acid.

I'm not an expert at all, there are others on the board more knowledgeable than me - having said that, at first glance the Nutreval report seems to indicate to me that you don't have a problem with methylation per se. Your B12 and folate are both good. A couple of your Bs are low, including niacin. So it makes sense that methylation supplements would cause overmethylation, anxiety, insomnia, etc. Niacin is commonly used to slow down methylation. So I would try taking a good B complex and see how you do.

The report also indicates you do need magnesium and a couple of amino acids. You might try branched chain amino acids with glutamine added (like this product: http://www.iherb.com/MRM-BCAA-G-6000-150-Capsules/12581 I've taken it before and it's a very good product). BCAAs have leucine, isoleucine and valine and your Nutreval report indicates you need leucine, valine and glutamine.

re your hair loss: I don't know . Your biotin is low and it may be implicated in hair loss. Your B complex should have biotin. And if I were you, I would get a copy of the thyroid testing you've had done and submit it here to see what others have to say about it. They may disagree with your doctor.

Hope this helps --

caledonia

Best to start with the gut first.

Check out the 4R Gut Rebuilding Program in my signature link. This was developed by the Institute for Functional Medicine. Your test is showing some dysbiosis.

Also check out the Nutreval Interpretation Guide in my signature link for further interpretation.

Then you can also run your 23andme raw data through geneticgenie.org to get a more limited selection of SNPs. I have compiled several sources of interpretations for those in the document called the SNPs Interpretation Guide.

The trouble with the MTHFRsupport report is there are so many genes, it's hard to pick out what is relevant.

Ben Lynch also has a new interpretation called Strategene for $45. The idea is to cut through all the confusing reports out there. Everything is based on research studies, took two years to research and compile.

As far as hair loss, it could be lots of things. Thyroid is one. Maybe estrogen dominance (even if you're male) or various vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Maybe mercury.

Check out the stopthethyroidmadness website for good thyroid and adrenal info.

Thank you! I have been paleo for almost 2 years with no antibiotic use at all for 5 years. Eating lots of raw fermented foods which seem to not be working. I will do the gut rebuilding.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Eastman

Thank you! I have been paleo for almost 2 years with no antibiotic use at all for 5 years. Eating lots of raw fermented foods which seem to not be working. I will do the gut rebuilding.
Thank you for the suggestions.

Out of curiosity, are you doing low-carb paleo? I think some people have problems getting much fermentable fiber from such diets, which may have consequences for the gut microbiota.

I myself gave up on fermented foods not too long ago and now take them only occasionally, prefering to focus on fiber from foods as well as supplements.

No I couldn't do that I have hormone issues and I have read that low carb will screw those up. I had a great gut and then a new doc told me to stop doing so many cultured foods and probiotics because they thought it was making my digestion issues worse. Stupid me I should have run most things start and end with your gut health. I do think that maybe an oxalate issue is making it worse so I am probably going to cut out high oxalate foods as well as get some super power probiotics and start doing my cultures again. As a side note I have never been able to do kombucha on a regular basis.
I was doing an hcl suppliment but it kept making me feel like crap after a while. So it is weird that it looks like I still need it but I can't seem to stand the supplement even at the lowest dose.