• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interleukin 2, 4, 5 are high, what does it mean?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Charite005.jpg

Above my results from the Charite in Berlin, showing my values above the normal range. These values were not listed or discussed in the "abnormal values" section of my report, but they look quite high to me. I'd be very grateful if any of you extremely clever types could tell me what this means, and if you could phrase your answer as if you were addressing a 5-year-old child that would be great :).

Valentijn

TiredSam

Valentijn

There is a complete list of everything that was tested here:
It looks like IL8, IL10, IFNy and TNFA were tested, but presumably normal.

If IL4 and IL5 are effected, IL10 is usually along for the ride. So that would possibly rule out the pathways for intestinal IgA production, T-cell signaling, and autoimmune thyroid disease.

The remaining pathway where those results could make sense is the Inflammatory Bowel Disease, with those cytokines being listed in the "Th1 lymphocyte" box. No idea if that's at all in line with your symptoms though :p https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease#Signs_and_symptoms

TiredSam

It looks like IL8, IL10, IFNy and TNFA were tested, but presumably normal.

If IL4 and IL5 are effected, IL10 is usually along for the ride. So that would possibly rule out the pathways for intestinal IgA production, T-cell signaling, and autoimmune thyroid disease.

The remaining pathway where those results could make sense is the Inflammatory Bowel Disease, with those cytokines being listed in the "Th1 lymphocyte" box. No idea if that's at all in line with your symptoms though :p https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflammatory_bowel_disease#Signs_and_symptoms

IL8 is 88.4 (should be < 150)
IL 10 is 66 (should be 25-364)
Interferon gamma is 1016 (should be 265-6781)
TNFA 4hLPS is 1334 (should be 300-2000)
TNFA (CBA) is 398 (should be 68-1976)

I have no bowel problems thank you very much indeed.

If I were addressing a 5 year old child then perhaps - 'there are some naughty 'things' inside you that are making you feel ill all over'.

Does that help ;)

I am going to throw such a tantrum in a minute ...

Valentijn

I have no bowel problems thank you very much indeed.
:D

It might be a similar or identical process triggered by something else. Oh, and I think the funny symbol means IL4 and IL5 are being indirectly inhibited by T-bet in the "Th1 Lymphocyte" block. Whereas IL2 is being indirectly activated by T-bet after a few steps.

So, um, no idea! But you're very special :sluggish:

The Jak-STAT pathway might be worth looking into. It's getting mentioned in a few places involving your elevated cytokines, but their detailed map for it isn't showing Jak-shit (hurhur) regarding those cytokines.

TiredSam

Just writing part 10 of my blog and found this in my report:

T-Cell function after 24h polyvalenter ConA-Stimulation: TNFa, lFNg, IL-2, IL-4, IL-5, IL-10 normal

Don't know if that changes anything? Hopefully I'm still special :sluggish:

J.G

Interesting thread. I've been thinking about getting my cytokines tested too.

My thoughts: if chronic, post 3yr ME is indeed characterised by widespread immune dysregulation (to borrow Hornig's cutoff point and remarks), then your cytokine patterns could be reflective of that. This dysregulation in ME might bear a specific cytokine signature or may present differently both across patients and over time. We don't really know yet.

If semi-random dysregulation is the norm, it will be difficult to attribute specific symptoms to one particular cytokine or a small combination of them. It's the big picture that matters. So yeah, perhaps the fact that your cytokine patterns don't fit anywhere is itself the number 1 takeaway.

TiredSam

Interesting thread. I've been thinking about getting my cytokines tested too.

My thoughts: if chronic, post 3yr ME is indeed characterised by widespread immune dysregulation (to borrow Hornig's cutoff point and remarks), then your cytokine patterns could be reflective of that. This dysregulation in ME might bear a specific cytokine signature or may present differently both across patients and over time. We don't really know yet.

If semi-random dysregulation is the norm, it will be difficult to attribute specific symptoms to one particular cytokine or a small combination of them. It's the big picture that matters. So yeah, perhaps the fact that your cytokine patterns don't fit anywhere is itself the number 1 takeaway.
Thanks, still interested in opinions of anyone who knows about this stuff :).

In 3 months it'll be 3 years since onset.