• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Northern Ireland: Fibromyalgia to be recognised as long-term condition

Fibromyalgia is to be recognised by health professionals in Northern Ireland as a long-term condition.

People who suffer from it complain of aches all over the body, as well as profound fatigue.

Other symptoms include headaches, sleep deprivation and difficulty concentrating.

Despite the severity of symptoms, people living with the condition in NI have said their voices have gone unheard and their symptoms ignored.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37424804

barbc56

When I first applied for disability, I was told they didn't consider FM as a condition that would qualify you for disability. My doctor wrote a long letter describing how my life was impacted, etc. etc. and I did get disability. This was through private disability insurance.

Now it's covered. What also helps if you are diagnosed with chronic pain syndrome which, if I understand correctly, means you have had pain for six months or more from a health condition.

Some much needed good news for those in Northern Ireland!

No DLA for ME. Doesnt qualify. Fibro will now as its "recognised".
Only people exploiting ME are snake oil sellers.
Well, I don't think that is true at all that ME doesn't qualify for DLA (or PIP as it is now transitioning over to), unless NI has radically different benefit rules to England?

And are you intentionally suggesting that Fibromyalgia isn't worth being treated as a serious condition? "those who think they have it" strongly suggests that you don't believe it exists, I'd be interested, particularly as an ME sufferer yourself, why you might think this to be the case.

gregh286

Well, I don't think that is true at all that ME doesn't qualify for DLA (or PIP as it is now transitioning over to), unless NI has radically different benefit rules to England?

And are you intentionally suggesting that Fibromyalgia isn't worth being treated as a serious condition? "those who think they have it" strongly suggests that you don't believe it exists, I'd be interested, particularly as an ME sufferer yourself, why you might think this to be the case.

No, we use most of our DLA budget up on alcoholics and people with no kneecaps from the troubles. None left for ME, maybe if your bedbound its possible.

The country is littered with people who thought they had ME and/or Fibro, oh, I had that for a year,,,Im always tired too......I find it hard to get up in the morning....etc
Point in fact, look at this statement from Sam Cameroon sister, who cold water bath shocked ME from her system??? I mean, my god. How can NHS tell who is real ME and who had/has a figment of imagination.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...EARE-stricken-year-says-Sam-Cam-s-sister.html

Last edited:

Justin30

Point in fact, look at this statement from Sam Cameroon sister, who cold water bath shocked ME from her system???

I just want to point out that the famous australian football player with ME cant remeber his name.

Anyways he used this along with tons of other therapies and was a patient of Dr Golsteins. He used DHEA, had POTS, etc.

He had multiple muscle biobsies which showed mitochondrial problems.

Since he saw Golstein he likely had a SPECT but never mentioned.

He used to lie in Baths full of ice.

Just saying.

I dont think we ever get the full pic of the lucky ones that recover quick.

Its BS that they publish articles like this when people are emanciated and bedbound.

Thats why I personally think its an encephalopathy or encephalomylietis.