• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SBM: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/Systemic Exertion Intolerance Disease Speculcation

'Ugh' at starting on the Chronic Lyme reference (that never seemed that strong and doesn't really support anything).

It reads like it was rushed out, eg:

they are different that SEID patients who have an acute onset of symptoms, a remarkable of the need to sleep, and the ‘brain fog’.

?

The whole post felt like a slightly rambling introduction to some real analysis that never arrived. I was a little annoyed when it ended without having gone anywhere as generally I think of SBM posts as being more focused than that. Still, better than Harriet Hall's Shorter influenced stuff.

I guess that the blog is titled 'speculation'.

user9876

, better than Harriet Hall's Shorter influenced stuff.

I guess that the blog is titled 'speculation'.

But Harriet has put a comment

If the problem is hypometabolism, what about interventions to increase metabolism? Do thyroid hormone or amphetamines help these patients? Cold exposure? If they don't, that would argue against the hypothesis.
But I see no evidence to support such statements. Why would cold exposure change this state?

Another comment although he doesn't point to the evidence
Rex Bierley • 20 hours ago
The available evidence points to a diagnosis of one of the somatoform disorders, which was not even mentioned in the review.

A.B.

It seems that SBM is slowly warming up to ME/CFS/SEID being "real". I can't recall details but vaguely associate them with some heavy skepticism and illness denial and in that case, such a blog would be progress.

sarah darwins

Thyroid hormone, amphetamines, cold exposure. LOL. Precisely the things that crash the severe patients even further.

Come on, surely you've not forgotten Sam Cam's sister ...

‘I recovered from a year of ME by diving into the crystal sea, the cold literally shocking the sickness out of my system,’ she says.
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...EARE-stricken-year-says-Sam-Cam-s-sister.html

I'm just surprised more people here haven't tried it.

Riley

Is this a reputable blog? This is a very poorly written piece. However, the doctor who wrote it does seem sympathetic. I'm just not sure what his point was.

barbc56

Is this a reputable blog? This is a very poorly written piece. However, the doctor who wrote it does seem sympathetic. I'm just not sure what his point was.
Yeah, I agree. I think the point was that because we have a disease that has such few options for cpsymptom relief, are fodder for quackery.

Yet why is the author pointing this out for only PWME? This applies to many illnesses and this could be interpreted as patients with me/cfs are even more prone than others in a similar situation.

I think the intent wasn't to be negative and it is a step in the right direction as far as mecfs being a physical and not mental illness.

But the blog seems muddled and rushed. Perhaps a separate blog about me/cfs would have been more productive.

Justin30

But I see no evidence to support such statements. Why would cold exposure change this state?

That famous Australian Rugby player used ice baths. He got well in just over a year and when they teated his muscles it showed a mito problem...go figure.

Sean

SBM (oh, the irony) have a lot of humble pie to eat. Would be fair to say their track record on ME/CFS is poor, spilling over into appalling at times.

The writer's reference to a fictitious homeopathic remedy 200c C elegans caught my eye. It is the name of the nimotodes that go into a state of dauer, similar to hibernation.

I did a google search for 200c C elegans and came upon a short history of C elegans research. It seems that this worm was "used as a model organism for pursuing research in developmental biology and neurology".

My twilight zone (twirley music please) scfi mind wonders if the worms are actually the culprit??? Might there be a test??