• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hormonal panel, comments appreciated

Ninan

Got these today. I have more energy than I should (should be bed bound but I'm "only" house bound at the moment) and have thought it's high(er) cortisol due to infection. It's low here but I think it was even lower before. I have started getting symptoms of AF and wonder if making this little cortisol is too much for my adrenals? I think the low cortisol I had before was just weak signaling. I never had the anxiety symptoms i get now, and I didn't crash from glandular (just felt speedy and bad). Now my adrenals get worse even from folate (energy effect).

I'm seeing a hormone doctor in Brussels and am waiting for their ideas for treatment. Since I cannot tolerate even crumbles of the weakest glandulars I'm afraid I won't tolerate HC. But I think since my cortisol has been really low (B12 and folate got it up a bit, due to signaling or stimulation?) maybe low dose hormones might free me from the worst. I guess it's probably more complicated than that but that's my naive dream. :rolleyes: Ideas, thoughts and experiences much appreciated.

Attachments

• Hormone_analysis.pdf
    42.4 KB · Views: 57

cman89

Here is my guess. The Folate and B12 are likely opening up pathways that may have been poorly functioning before,while also increasing detox, which in theory, could up cortisol, that being said, lots of toxins et al can dsirupt cortisol production, upping or lowering it. I know that when my cortisol seems high, from stress or infection, Pregnenlone seems to help "balance" things. It can act , for some people to calm an anxiety reaction, even though it feels "stimulatory". I noticed your Pregnenlone levels seemed ok, however, with suppelmenting Pregenlone, it can balance other hormones without massively disrupting your body's synthesis . I would listen to the Endocrine doc's recommendation, and consider giving replacement therapy a try. What I would be very wary of though, is any long term cortisol supplementation. Due to its effects, that can cause issues in the long run.

cman89

Short term hormone supplementation could potentially "support" your body while the B12, Folate and whatever else increases depressed signalling. This i just my guess...

Ninan

Here is my guess. The Folate and B12 are likely opening up pathways that may have been poorly functioning before,while also increasing detox, which in theory, could up cortisol, that being said, lots of toxins et al can dsirupt cortisol production, upping or lowering it. I know that when my cortisol seems high, from stress or infection, Pregnenlone seems to help "balance" things. It can act , for some people to calm an anxiety reaction, even though it feels "stimulatory". I noticed your Pregnenlone levels seemed ok, however, with suppelmenting Pregenlone, it can balance other hormones without massively disrupting your body's synthesis . I would listen to the Endocrine doc's recommendation, and consider giving replacement therapy a try. What I would be very wary of though, is any long term cortisol supplementation. Due to its effects, that can cause issues in the long run.
Thanks for commenting. Cortisol seems high but it's not, right? Weird.

I'm not taking folate and just a little bit of B12 to keep my heart from going crazy. Can't tolerate more now, I lose too much potassium and my adrenals get too stimulated from folate.

If I'm trying steroids it's low dose. And pregnenelone before considering HC. The endocrinologist I saw wasn't interested since stim test was normal, so I'm seeing a private doctor.

Ninan

Short term hormone supplementation could potentially "support" your body while the B12, Folate and whatever else increases depressed signalling. This i just my guess...
I probably have both infections and metals (Hg) and guessing autoimmunity. It's a mess, really, hard to say what's what.

cman89

I probably have both infections and metals (Hg) and guessing autoimmunity. It's a mess, really, hard to say what's what.
I see. Well, hormone balancing can help with supporting the body's detox pathways. Of course supporting detox can also assist with hormones, so honestly, doing both at same time , withing reason, isnt the worst idea in my opinion.

Ninan

I see. Well, hormone balancing can help with supporting the body's detox pathways. Of course supporting detox can also assist with hormones, so honestly, doing both at same time , withing reason, isnt the worst idea in my opinion.
I hope supplementing hormones can help keep me stable while I'm working on detox etcetera. Just kind of scared it will just make things work. Proceed with caution, I guess.

cman89

I hope supplementing hormones can help keep me stable while I'm working on detox etcetera. Just kind of scared it will just make things work. Proceed with caution, I guess.
Hormones are powerful, so yes, proceed with caution indeed. That being said, they can also balance out some weak areas. Think about the difference between taking full on steroids vs low dose T therapy. (Not that thats your issue, but just an example). The full steroid may end up causing more issues in the end, while T therapy could be beneficial. Same with other hormones.

taniaaust1

Since I cannot tolerate even crumbles of the weakest glandulars I'm afraid I won't tolerate HC. But I think since my cortisol has been really low (B12 and folate got it up a bit, due to signaling or stimulation?) maybe low dose hormones might free me from the worst.

I react terribly to many hormones eg very bad reactions to testosterone, progestogen(as in the mini pill) and to my own high insulin but I I tollerated low dose HC very well. Unfortunately though it had no affect on me in my case (though my cortisol was abnormally low on my 24hr urine tests)

Ninan

I react terribly to many hormones eg very bad reactions to testosterone, progestogen(as in the mini pill) and to my own high insulin but I I tollerated low dose HC very well. Unfortunately though it had no affect on me in my case (though my cortisol was abnormally low on my 24hr urine tests)
Were they bioidentical? I got 24/7 PMS from progestin pills but feel great on progesterone cream.

WoolPippi

Got these today. I have more energy than I should (should be bed bound but I'm "only" house bound at the moment) and have thought it's high(er) cortisol due to infection. It's low here but I think it was even lower before. I have started getting symptoms of AF and wonder if making this little cortisol is too much for my adrenals? I think the low cortisol I had before was just weak signaling. I never had the anxiety symptoms i get now, and I didn't crash from glandular (just felt speedy and bad). Now my adrenals get worse even from folate (energy effect).

I'm seeing a hormone doctor in Brussels and am waiting for their ideas for treatment. Since I cannot tolerate even crumbles of the weakest glandulars I'm afraid I won't tolerate HC. But I think since my cortisol has been really low (B12 and folate got it up a bit, due to signaling or stimulation?) maybe low dose hormones might free me from the worst. I guess it's probably more complicated than that but that's my naive dream. :rolleyes: Ideas, thoughts and experiences much appreciated.
Are you with dr Thierry Hertoghe? He's good with broad panel interpretation and body-identical HRT. (Progestins are poison)
He does like to prescribe all the hormones at once though. I found for people with a multi-sustem break down like us a more careful build up works better.

I got better with what he taught me and I'm able to medicate myself now.

WoolPippi

just a few quick fire opinions:
vitD is way too low. Even the lab references are too low, they should be 80-120 or even 200.
Iode is way too low. Your thyroid will lack the energy because of that. You adrenals take their cue from the thyroid and will slow down too.
where's your progesteron?
cortisol measured in 24 hour urine is the only correct way to measure it. Blood tests are useless. Your doc is good. Your cortisol is too low. You probably have symptoms the dr has pointed out (red inside your under eyelid and some sort of reaction test he does at your achilles heel)

the thyroid, DHEA and Chromato 17 hormones need to assessed in relation to each other and your dr. will know how (I don't).

You say you don't tolerate glandulars, that's a problem the doc will like to ponder with you. Go low and slow is my initial thought but you already do that.

The same with the B12 and folate, don't go gobbling that down, especially since your blood B12 isn't that low.
However: if you have symptoms of B12 shortage it may be that your cells cannot work with the B12 that's in your blood. You then need the already activated form called methyl-B12. mB12.
Beware, this is rocket fuel. Go low, go slow.
150 mcg once every two weeks until the brainstorm it induces subsides a bit. Yes, 150 mcg. That's less than one tenth of the pill.
Also: mB21 and folate activate the trash-cycle in your cells. You'll need to facilitate the disposal of the trash. By activating the lymphatic system (stretch, massage, move), by drinking a lot of water and having good bowel movements. And anything else you can think of (charcoal?).

Another person knowledgable in AF is Dusty Hardman of addisonssupport.com. She knows what tests to ask for at a doctor and how to interpret them. She could interpret your hormonal blood tests. However: she's knowledgable but she's not a medical professional. A great advisor to coach your own thinking though.

Adrenals are helped with salt and vit. C and glandular amino acids. (I take Multigland by Biotics). I do better on HC but need to tailor its dosage to my body. Both Hertoghe and Hardman teach fast that one should go by ones own symptoms and should not take medical opinions nor laboritory ranges as gospel. But you also need some medical foundation to know when to dare a bit. Self education is therefor crucial when doing HRT, I think. But that's hard when you're ill and tired. Sorry. Your dr. can probably help you get on your way to acquire more knowledge? Good luck.

Paralee

@Ninan , very nice spread on those lab tests! Didn't see albumin, is it in there somewhere? I know it looks like your calcium is normal, but I was looking for albumin because it seems a lot of dr's adjust calcium with albumin. With your vitamin D being low it made me wonder.

Wouldn't hurt to have calcium and parathyroid hormone checked together just in case. If the pth was too high (in other words not lower like it should be-nothing to do with those ranges) I would check into that further too.

Nice CEA reading.