• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Pfizer Ordered To Pay Up Over 'AIDS-Like' Virus Infections

Summer

Pfizer Ordered To Pay Up Over
'AIDS-Like' Virus Infections

In what is being hailed as a major victory for workers in the biotech and nanotech fields, a former scientist with pharmaceutical firm Pfizer has been awarded $1.37 million for being fired after raising the alarm over researchers being infected with a genetically engineered "AIDS-like" virus.

Becky McClain, a molecular biologist from Deep River, Connecticut, filed a lawsuit against Pfizer in 2007, claiming she had been wrongly terminated for complaining about faulty safety equipment that allowed a "dangerous lentivirus" to infect her and some of her colleagues.

The Hartford Courant describes the virus as "similar to the one that can lead to acquired immune deficiency syndrome, or AIDS." Health experts testified that the virus has affected the way McClain's body processes potassium, which they say causes McClain to suffer complete paralysis as often as a dozen times per month, the Courant reports.

McClain's lawsuit (PDF) asserted that Pfizer had interfered with her right to free speech, and that she should have been protected from retaliation by whistleblower legislation.

Full story

leelaplay

Hiya Summer - you're back with a bang! Nice to see you.

Hmmm Pfizer making genetically engineered HIV-like viruses.

Summer

Hiya Summer - you're back with a bang! Nice to see you.

Hmmm Pfizer making genetically engineered HIV-like viruses.

Hi Islandfinn, I always lurk, but I have not really felt up to posting since a crash several months ago. You and so many others are doing a great job scooping the news. :Sign Good Job:

natasa778

Disturbed potassium signalling has been hypothesised to be the cause of fatigue in CFS, amongst other channelopathies.