• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone Know of Things that Could Mimic Sinusitis on MRI?

cman89

Is anyone aware of neural issues that could potentially be misread or suggested to be chronic sinusitis on an MRI? (This is actually the only diagnostic test I have had come back with any clues in the 3 years I have been investigating)

osisposis

not sure I understand your question, could be some secondary effects radiate out that way but I don't think they could be anywhere close to primary affects of say chronic chemical's,voc's, or mold exposure that can cause chronic sinusitis or chronic rhinosinusitis and beyond>brain (olfactory,amygdala,frontal lobes,dura of the myelin sleath,limbic ect.) I don't think any possible secondary affects could get you a diagnoses of chronic sinusitis.

I should add bacteria and viruses to the exposure list.

cman89

not sure I understand your question, could be some secondary effects radiate out that way but I don't think they could be anywhere close to primary affects of say chronic chemical's,voc's, or mold exposure that can cause chronic sinusitis or chronic rhinosinusitis and beyond>brain (olfactory,amygdala,frontal lobes,dura of the myelin sleath,limbic ect.) I don't think any possible secondary affects could get you a diagnoses of chronic sinusitis.

I should add bacteria and viruses to the exposure list.
The diagnosis was rather a shot in the dark by my Primary MD, and since Augmentin helped, I rolled with it. I had suspected a Lyme type infection, so I just wanted an ABX of any sort. That being said, activity at that area could also explain neural activation during symptom flare up, which is what is happening with me now. Of course, I am not a Radiologist, and I have no idea what the diagnostic radiologist noticed on MRI. He could have been in error...

osisposis

maybe secondary effects can be stronger than I realized, ? if you have chronic sinusitis from some kind of environmental exposure one way to tell would be to do a deep sinus washing and see if it gives you any temporary relief, however if your still exposed to whatever it well be very temporary relief, I'd say have your doctor do it but I don't know what his office is like, I've been to some that just wiped me out, like new buildings with closed windows and all the new carpet and other man made materials still offgassing chemicals like crazy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27590695

[PubMed - as supplied by publisher] PMID: 27590695 DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.008
Aerobiologic testing chamber; Aerosolized pathogens; Air decontamination technologies; Air-surface-air nexus; Airborne pathogens; Indoor air microbiome; Microbial aerosolsKEYWORDS: Copyright © 2016.
Published by Elsevier Inc.
Author informationIjaz MK1, Zargar B2, Wright KE2, Rubino JR3, Sattar SA4.

Generic aspects of the airborne spread of human pathogens indoors and emerging air decontamination technologies.Am J Infect Control. 2016 Sep 2;44(9S):S109-S120. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.008.

Indoor air can be an important vehicle for a variety of human pathogens. This review provides examples of airborne transmission of infectious agents from experimental and field studies and discusses how airborne pathogens can contaminate other parts of the environment to give rise to secondary vehicles leading air-surface-air nexus with possible transmission to susceptible hosts. The following groups of human pathogens are covered because of their known or potential airborne spread: vegetative bacteria (staphylococci and legionellae), fungi (Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium spp and Stachybotrys chartarum), enteric viruses (noro- and rotaviruses), respiratory viruses (influenza and coronaviruses), mycobacteria (tuberculous and nontuberculous), and bacterial spore formers (Clostridium difficile and Bacillus anthracis). An overview of methods for experimentally generating and recovering airborne human pathogens is included, along with a discussion of factors that influence microbial survival in indoor air. Available guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other global regulatory bodies for the study of airborne pathogens are critically reviewed with particular reference to microbial surrogates that are recommended. Recent developments in experimental facilities to contaminate indoor air with microbial aerosols are presented, along with emerging technologies to decontaminate indoor air under field-relevant conditions. Furthermore, the role that air decontamination may play in reducing the contamination of environmental surfaces and its combined impact on interrupting the risk of pathogen spread in both domestic and institutional settings is discussed.

TrixieStix

Is anyone aware of neural issues that could potentially be misread or suggested to be chronic sinusitis on an MRI? (This is actually the only diagnostic test I have had come back with any clues in the 3 years I have been investigating)
I recently figured out I have chronic sinusitis and t was not aware of it. I recently had a brain and spine MRI and it showed a mucous retention cyst in my left sinus. I then learned that these are caused by chronic sinus issues. My primary doctor and I discussed it and he told me to use a Neti Pot twice daily for 2 weeks then every other day or so to maintain. And that if I do so, clear up the sinusitis, and then stop using the Neti Pot the sinusitis will likely return. So it will have to become a permanent part of my routine.

cman89

I recently figured out I have chronic sinusitis and t was not aware of it. I recently had a brain and spine MRI and it showed a mucous retention cyst in my left sinus. I then learned that these are caused by chronic sinus issues. My primary doctor and I discussed it and he told me to use a Neti Pot twice daily for 2 weeks then every other day or so to maintain. And that if I do so, clear up the sinusitis, and then stop using the Neti Pot the sinusitis will likely return. So it will have to become a permanent part of my routine.
I use a neti pot with garlic infusion. Its wonderful

cman89

maybe secondary effects can be stronger than I realized, ? if you have chronic sinusitis from some kind of environmental exposure one way to tell would be to do a deep sinus washing and see if it gives you any temporary relief, however if your still exposed to whatever it well be very temporary relief, I'd say have your doctor do it but I don't know what his office is like, I've been to some that just wiped me out, like new buildings with closed windows and all the new carpet and other man made materials still offgassing chemicals like crazy.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27590695

[PubMed - as supplied by publisher] PMID: 27590695 DOI: 10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.008
Aerobiologic testing chamber; Aerosolized pathogens; Air decontamination technologies; Air-surface-air nexus; Airborne pathogens; Indoor air microbiome; Microbial aerosolsKEYWORDS: Copyright © 2016.
Published by Elsevier Inc.
Author informationIjaz MK1, Zargar B2, Wright KE2, Rubino JR3, Sattar SA4.

Generic aspects of the airborne spread of human pathogens indoors and emerging air decontamination technologies.Am J Infect Control. 2016 Sep 2;44(9S):S109-S120. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2016.06.008.

Indoor air can be an important vehicle for a variety of human pathogens. This review provides examples of airborne transmission of infectious agents from experimental and field studies and discusses how airborne pathogens can contaminate other parts of the environment to give rise to secondary vehicles leading air-surface-air nexus with possible transmission to susceptible hosts. The following groups of human pathogens are covered because of their known or potential airborne spread: vegetative bacteria (staphylococci and legionellae), fungi (Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium spp and Stachybotrys chartarum), enteric viruses (noro- and rotaviruses), respiratory viruses (influenza and coronaviruses), mycobacteria (tuberculous and nontuberculous), and bacterial spore formers (Clostridium difficile and Bacillus anthracis). An overview of methods for experimentally generating and recovering airborne human pathogens is included, along with a discussion of factors that influence microbial survival in indoor air. Available guidelines from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and other global regulatory bodies for the study of airborne pathogens are critically reviewed with particular reference to microbial surrogates that are recommended. Recent developments in experimental facilities to contaminate indoor air with microbial aerosols are presented, along with emerging technologies to decontaminate indoor air under field-relevant conditions. Furthermore, the role that air decontamination may play in reducing the contamination of environmental surfaces and its combined impact on interrupting the risk of pathogen spread in both domestic and institutional settings is discussed.
Ever since I had that MRI, Ive felt that something in that imaging is the key to what keeps happening with me, but not sure how to tie it all in there....