• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"News" 8 Sep 2016: PACE trial team analyse main outcome measures according to the original protocol

Dolphin

Sean

Not sure what if they promised anything under 2.5 year follow-up data.
Though I'm pretty sure they collected employment data but so far we haven't seen any.
Take your point, and my phrasing was ambiguous. But if the main paper's results are going to be re-analysed using the original protocol thresholds, then the important recovery and follow-up papers' results should be too.

lilpink

This is no substitute for the data that they should have released, that we asked them to release and the court said they should release. We still don't have the true facts from them.
Presumably they think this will negate the need for them to release the raw data. Idiots! I have to wonder what we're really not seeing. After all we knew it was going to be dodgy..giving us this fills me with no confidence at all (obviously). I'd like to see how the data was actually gathered. I still wonder if they could have purloined data from the NOD... What are they so afraid of?

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
It's important that people don't get carried away just yet. I think an independent analysis of PACE will be much more damning, and we should not be content with letting PACE authors interpret their own results, regardless of the protocol used.
Not much chance of that, the only analysis that anyone's interested now is one done by scientists that we trust. The PACE authors hardly fit that description, anything they do now is just free entertainment.

snowathlete

OK, I must admit that I am not that clued up on the protocols for publishing research data, but isn't this rather odd in that respect. There is no mention of this being published in a scientific journal and no suggestion that it is a pre-print. Would this sort of thing not usually be submitted as at least a formal letter to a journal or a comment on an online paper? Does it count as science if it is not formally published?

Won't even The Lancet touch this now?

My guess is that they didn't have time. Even with the Lancet's fact track review process they couldn't get it out before the rest of the data is released that will show how bad Recovery is. Or maybe no one would touch it because it's so appalling?

alex3619

How very House of Cards. Not scientists, spin doctors.
As I have said before, promotion by rhetoric and claim, not evidence and reason. Having a public relations organization, oh, sorry, the SMC, on their side and promoting their view does not help their case either. The data has to be released. If the results are good it will show it. If they are not good it will show that too.

Last edited:

JES

Presumably they think this will negate the need for them to release the raw data. Idiots! I have to wonder what we're really not seeing. After all we knew it was going to be dodgy..giving us this fills me with no confidence at all (obviously). I'd like to see how the data was actually gathered. I still wonder if they could have purloined data from the NOD... What are they so afraid of?

I think the sudden release of today's analysis is more likely an indicator that they will release the data. It seems unlikely to me that they would rush to release these documents for another reason after years of ignoring their critics, the timing seems too delicate to be a co-incidence.

trishrhymes

I hope someone will show the graph comparing the 2011 'improvers' data next to these new figures to the newly resigned principal of QMUL, so he can use them as grounds for dismissal of White on grounds of gross misconduct and bringing the University into disrepute!

Surely now all the PACE papers will have to be withdrawn.

And when the data comes out we can see how many of the poor souls on which this travesty of science was inflicted actually got worse in each group, and how many, if any recovered.

And all the researchers involved will lose their jobs and reputations.

And the NICE guidelines will be changed.

And all the doctors, therapists inflicting these treatments on patients will be retrained.

And the MAGENTA trial and GETSET will be cancelled....

And the media and doctors will apologise and get it right about ME....

No, don't wake me up, I'm having such a lovely dream....