• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

David Tuller, Trial By Error, Continued: My Questions for Lancet Editor Richard Horton

Cheshire

In January, I posted a list of the questions I still wanted to ask the PACE authors, who have repeatedly refused my requests to interview them about their ethically and methodologically challenged study. Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet, has similarly declined to talk with me, ignoring my e-mails seeking comment for the initial investigation, posted on Virology Blog last October, as well as for several follow-up articles. Now Dr. Horton has doubled-down on his efforts to keep a lid on the controversy by rejecting a letter that he personally solicited—a major breach of professional courtesy to the 43 well-regarded researchers and clinicians who signed it.

http://www.virology.ws/2016/09/01/t...y-questions-for-lancet-editor-richard-horton/

Can we award Tuller extra points for spectacular use of the word squelch following shortly after this line '(I’ve called it “a piece of crap.” I might also have referred to it somewhere as “doggie-poo,” but I’m not sure.)'
Beautiful imagery, Horton really has put his foot in it!

Going after Horton almost feels like bullying. He clearly never had any idea what was going on with PACE, and whenever he speaks publicly about it he's a gift for the trial's critics. Great to have another piece from Tuller to enjoy.

alex3619

Horton's position is untenable if the truth about his actions is recognized. To keep his job, he's now committed to a permanent attack upon reality.
This is similar to what I have said elsewhere. He risks possibly losing his job if he is found out on two simultaneous problems, one of which is PACE. His judgement could be questioned. Whether that would actually happen is unknown, but his support would certainly be weakened.

Kati

Patient in training
This is similar to what I have said elsewhere. He risks possibly losing his job if he is found out on two simultaneous problems, one of which is PACE. His judgement could be questioned. Whether that would actually happen is unknown, but his support would certainly be weakened.

Dare i quote you @alex3619 from your signature, because it makes a lot of sense especially here:
Psychogenic Medicine - Dismiss, Reject, Object
Or if you encounter a snag, say nothing unless you are in a court of law. :rolleyes: They are running out of options.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Going after Horton almost feels like bullying
Considering that he is stubbornly helping to perpetuate a situation that has caused unnecessary suffering to millions over decades, and seems bent on doing everything he can to make sure that it continues to drag on for as long as possible, I'm not really feeling the bullying thing.

If he isn't prepared to do the decent thing and fall on his sword, the least he could do would be to step to one side and allow both parties (ie the psychoquacks and the scientists) to have a voice in his rag of a publication. Instead of that he's pointlessly allowing the suffering to continue simply to save his own face for as long as possible before the inevitable.

Banning scientists from speaking in the Lancet whilst millions suffer? He's clearly in the wrong job, and we have to pay the price for it. No sympathy for the guy whatsoever.

Daisymay

It was his responsibility. He endorsed it glowingly. If he had no idea, he should resign. If he had an idea, he should resign. If he was totally fooled, he should at least go public and explain.

Yes and way back when the paper was initially published Professor Hooper, the Countess of Mar, Angela Kennedy and MEA all put in formal complaints to the Lancet. Horton quickly knew the problems with the paper but he actively chose to do nothng about it, instead backing the PACE authors at the expense of scientific integrity, patient safety, his own and the Lancet's reputation.

Why? It's bizarre.

And now with Dave Tuller's excellent work, the letter from the 42 scientists, Rebecca Goldin's article exposing the PACE statistics and he still does nothing, no, he knows very well what he is doing.

You can see Professor Hoopers correspondence with the Lancet here, in the year 2011:

http://margaretwilliams.me/

Considering that he is stubbornly helping to perpetuate a situation that has caused unnecessary suffering to millions over decades, and seems bent on doing everything he can to make sure that it continues to drag on for as long as possible, I'm not really feeling the bullying thing.

If he isn't prepared to do the decent thing and fall on his sword, the least he could do would be to step to one side and allow both parties (ie the psychoquacks and the scientists) to have a voice in his rag of a publication. Instead of that he's pointlessly allowing the suffering to continue simply to save his own face for as long as possible before the inevitable.

Banning scientists from speaking in the Lancet whilst millions suffer? He's clearly in the wrong job, and we have to pay the price for it. No sympathy for the guy whatsoever.

Sorry - I was being a bit flippant about how clearly out of his depth Horton is and wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with going after him particularly as he is in a position of authority, and is continuing to misuse that position.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Sorry - I was being a bit flippant about how clearly out of his depth Horton is and wasn't clear. I didn't mean to imply there was anything wrong with going after him particularly as he is in a position of authority, and is continuing to misuse that position.
I know you didn't - just couldn't resist using that phrase as a springboard to go off on a bit of a rant, like I do :hug: